electric usage -SOMETHING WRONG!

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
twinkleeyes627
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

electric usage -SOMETHING WRONG!

Post by twinkleeyes627 »

I am beside myself trying to figure out why my electric bill is so extremely high. Im convinced there is something wrong. I bought this house 10 months ago and the house I was in prior to it, was almost the same in size and same type of things. There used to be 6 people, more laundry, more tv's, etc and never had a bill higher than 250 (that being in summer months with air conditioning and pool pump). Now there is only 4 people and my bill is 500-700 a month. I have unplugged everything that can possibly be unplugged, I am washing my clothes in cold water only and have never done that before, I have put the energy saving light bulbs in, I have plastic over windows, caulked cracks, and anything I can possibly think of and yet my bill only gets worse. I contacted the electric company to check the transformer and they say it is fine. I have applied for weatherization (Pennsylvania by the way) and I am on a waiting list. I am on a budget/assistance program with my electric, but have almost maxed out what I'm allowed for the year and will be kicked off. It is sad that my electric bill is higher than my mortgage, and I am afraid that I'm going to lose my house because I can't afford the electric. I'm a single mom (on disability) and can't afford to have an electrician come in and look things over. I'm VERY scared! I would be grateful for any suggestions/help. PLEASE :(
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: electric usage -SOMETHING WRONG!

Post by Admin »

Weatherization is a great option as it is free, and can help you save on your energy bill. Most utility companies have services in which someone will walk through your home and advise on what you can do differently to save money. Try that approach. Also, call up your utility company for a history of what the bills were in the past, before you even bought the home. They need to provide that. Apply for LIHEAP too. I hope this helps.