Rent assistance for seniors

Find how to get help with rent
Cheecago
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Rent assistance for seniors

Post by Cheecago »

Dear Sir/Madam,
I'm writing to you for advice on how to help my elderly in-laws. They live in Henderson, NV and are aged 65 and 68 respectively. They have no savings and are in arrears with their rent, and are both not of sound mind or health, with possible heart conditions. They have been unable to conduct their financial affairs in a sensible manner for the past twenty five years, and are currently living off their social security payments. My father-in-law up until recently had a part time job, but was let go a few weeks ago due to probable memory based problems. They live in complete denial and continually blame others for their perpetual lack of funds and
conditions, and now are even behind on rent and facing eviction. Neither have been diagnosed with dementia related problems, but I understand that their doctor is aware of their state of mind. My wife and I have helped them numerous times in the past, but we are unable to at this moment in time. We are in a very tight financial position and have no surplus cash, savings, nor near future ability to take out credit on behalf of my wife's parents. They cannot live with us for several reasons; one being that we cannot contractually allow others to live with us as we're in a rented apartment. The main reason is that we have a three year old child who we need to care for and prioritize, and I know that they would bring numerous very serious problems to the household were living with us a possibility. My wife and I really don't know who to contact for help and/or advice, and would be most grateful for any assistance you could offer us.I look forward to hearing from you soon, Yours sincerely
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Rent assistance for seniors

Post by Admin »

We are not sure what to do in your situation, but here are places to call for advice. Locate various Nevada assistance programs, charities, housing agencies, and rental programs. If you scroll midway down you will find the city and town for Henderson Nevada. Now many agencies do focus on seniors and people over 60, which is good for you and your situation as your grandparents qualify. Maybe this will be sort of eye opening for them to get housing assistance and help with bills and debts.
Cheecago wrote:Dear Sir/Madam,
I'm writing to you for advice on how to help my elderly in-laws. They live in Henderson, NV and are aged 65 and 68 respectively. They have no savings and are in arrears with their rent, and are both not of sound mind or health, with possible heart conditions. They have been unable to conduct their financial affairs in a sensible manner for the past twenty five years, and are currently living off their social security payments. My father-in-law up until recently had a part time job, but was let go a few weeks ago due to probable memory based problems. They live in complete denial and continually blame others for their perpetual lack of funds and
conditions, and now are even behind on rent and facing eviction. Neither have been diagnosed with dementia related problems, but I understand that their doctor is aware of their state of mind. My wife and I have helped them numerous times in the past, but we are unable to at this moment in time. We are in a very tight financial position and have no surplus cash, savings, nor near future ability to take out credit on behalf of my wife's parents. They cannot live with us for several reasons; one being that we cannot contractually allow others to live with us as we're in a rented apartment. The main reason is that we have a three year old child who we need to care for and prioritize, and I know that they would bring numerous very serious problems to the household were living with us a possibility. My wife and I really don't know who to contact for help and/or advice, and would be most grateful for any assistance you could offer us.I look forward to hearing from you soon, Yours sincerely
Mr_Smith

Post by Mr_Smith »

Hello,
I live in Yakima Washington and I am a senior citizen. I cannot find help with my rent and utilities I am in danger of being evicted and my electricity is due to be shut off by the 18th of April. I am on a fixed income of $795 a month and I can't find work. At 65 years old, it is sad that Americans still have to work to survive. i can still work but I have not found a job the economy here is real bad. I can be reached on a cell phone and email. I have called every agency listed that is supposed to help and they have no funding left. Thank you,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, the economy is bad everywhere. Many people (most?) over 60 are working these days to stay current with bills. Even if it is just a part time job. However for you and your situation and area, look into these Yakima assistance programs and non-profits for your rent and electric bills. You still have several days to call around, so that is good that you allowed some time. Maybe explore a program known as LIHEAP crisis too, which is a federal government assistance programs.
Mr_Smith wrote:Hello,
I live in Yakima Washington and I am a senior citizen. I cannot find help with my rent and utilities I am in danger of being evicted and my electricity is due to be shut off by the 18th of April. I am on a fixed income of $795 a month and I can't find work. At 65 years old, it is sad that Americans still have to work to survive. i can still work but I have not found a job the economy here is real bad. I can be reached on a cell phone and email. I have called every agency listed that is supposed to help and they have no funding left. Thank you,
Zuck1

Post by Zuck1 »

Need help paying rent, unemployed as of 5/1/2012 and may not get unemployment compensation. I have no income at the moment, and I also have bad knees and issues from my age. I use expensive medications on a daily basis. I have a home that I rent, but I am in danger of eviction. I also have a car but need to keep it legal on insurance to keep looking for a job & doctor visits. So need rent assistance with pending eviction from landlords and have not lease agreement, so they can throw me out at anytime unless I come up with $7900. Thanks, any help is much appreciated.
Trout

Post by Trout »

If you haven't looked into it yet, then look into government cash assistance/public aid. There are several programs in Chicago that people can turn to in the city, such as WIC, TANF, and TANF. While most money goes to people facing poverty, the resources are always an issue. Look into them here.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... icago.html
Scarlett1

Post by Scarlett1 »

Hi. I’m writing this email for my mom, she is on social security, SSI. Also on a budget and is a Senior. The problem she has is her and my sister were sharing rent. She left with no notice, now my mom has to come up with all the rent by the First and does not have it. She will be evicted. Is there any one that can help her? I would but I’m not working, waiting for Unemployment. She is sick and so stressed out. Please let me know of any help available. Thank You,
TerryCollins

Post by TerryCollins »

I live in Austin, TX. I rent and have an electric bill over $2,000.00 now. Our income is one check of SSI for 698.00 per month. I also make $80.00 per month. Between rent and medical prescriptions at $7.00 each which comes to an estimate of $84.00 or more and rent is $625.00 per month. I was laid off in January 2010. When I did apply for a job no one responded to me and I have put in 100s. I am in the process of appealing Social Security Disability and hopefully will know the outcome sometime in March. Mean while it is very rough trying to make ends meet and we are failing due to lack of funds. Please Help?!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are a few programs focused just on the needs of seniors. In general, the agency on aging centers may be your best place to call, and these are non-profits that offer information, referrals, and other support. While not really offering direct aid for paying rent, they can usually refer people to senior housing and vouchers. One program is very similar to section 8 housing. More details can be found here.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... grams.html
GTerese

Post by GTerese »

I have been on unemployment since 10/31/2011 and have been looking for work. My unemployment ran out today and they say I'm not entitling to any more. My rent is paid for March but unless I find a job I will need help with my April rent. I am 61 and will turn 62 in March. I have applied for retirement but my first check want be until May 22, 2013. My daughter and grandson live with me. She works part time at McDonald’s. Can someone please help me.
Bernie and P

Post by Bernie and P »

Dear Sirs: I am a 61 year old lady, who will turn 62 this year, who at this time is having problems paying the rent on my apartment where I’m currently living. I’m unable to pay this month's rent due to decreased work and pay and I don't want to lose this apartment. Is there any way that you might be able to help me with my rental issue. Also, would I qualify for rental assistance in the form of help with my monthly rent? Please sirs.I don't want to lose this place. I need this help ASAP.
Mike and Rachel

Post by Mike and Rachel »

I am a senior citizen woman in my mid 60's with many health issues and I am also disabled. I am on a very, very limited monthly income on from SSI. I truly need help finding a decent place to live and with as much help as possible with rent and a deposit. Thank you very much for your time. Look forward to hearing back from someone. I am in the Lincoln Park, Michigan area.
Subway

Post by Subway »

I am in need of rental assistance. My bill is high, 645 a month and it is very difficult to maintain payments on rent and electric with a monthly income of 800 dollars a month with a household of 6, including a senior parent. My Girlfriend is also pregnant along with 5 other kids and things are becoming financially unbearable.
Anchor

Post by Anchor »

Hello,
I am a senior single mom with a disabled adult son who receives SSI. We are trying to make it the best way we can with SSI and a little money from my eldest son who works part-time.
I have been trying for over a year to speak with the person who monitors the Senior Program for this area. I have left several phone messages and even left several messages for him at the Unemployment Office here in Annapolis, Maryland. He has never returned any of my calls or responded to any of messages.
I am in a dire situation of financial hardship since I lost my job 2 months ago (no fault of my own). My Unemployment compensation has run out and I am in need of assistance to help pay my rent. My other son is buying a home, but we have to wait until the family who is living in the house now to receive their loan approval for the new house they will be moving to. In the meantime, I still need to pay my monthly rent of $1,320.
I have received a couple of pledges from local resources for September's rent, but these organizations are becoming more & more reluctant to assist because they want to know how I am going to pay my rent the next month? My landlord is working along with me & does not want to see us put out on the street. We have lived here for about 4 years. He is willing to accept partial payments from me and any funding from local or national resources to help me get through this period until we can move to our home.
Do you have any suggestions? I ran across your helpful website this evening.
FYI -- Annapolis, Maryland is located in a part of Maryland where resources are very scarce.
Thank you very much.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Most rental and housing programs don't discriminate by age. For example, a senior is not provided housing support that say a single parent is not offered. You need to apply, even if you are a senior on fixed income. Why is the household so large as well? Usually it is just say a spouse and the applicant at that age. Anyway, get more details on our resources for senior housing.