Any Community Action Agency decision is too late

Find charities that can provide help and assistance
Pippa
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Any Community Action Agency decision is too late

Post by Pippa »

Hi, My name is Sherry and I am in Florida.  My family and I ended up in a 4-bedroom house that we couldn't afford because, at the time we rented it, my mom had sold her home in Bronson, FL. We applied to community action agency but the decision they make it too late to save us. We moved because my step father passed away, with a wrap-around mortgage to a man that would have paid $500 month over and above my mom's mortgage payment for a couple years.  He was in this big hurry to move in.  We spent more than we needed to move because of this guy. In July my mom fell and got a concussion and I had to call an ambulance, then the end of July she tripped on a tile in the kitchen and fell again, this time she broke her hip and was in the hospital/rehab close to two months!
Anyway, during this time we started getting over $450 electric bills and we applied to community action agency, but there application process as well as decision will be too long and late.  We had been to community action the day my mom fell and broke her hip to get help with our electric bills.  My mom couldn't find her social security card, so we stopped on the way home at the local SS office and applied for it.  I am on disability and have Multiple Sclerosis.  Her card came in and I totally FORGOT that it was supposed to be turned in to the Community Acton office.  I just set it on her desk for when she came home.  In the meantime, I called and called them about the electric bill help and just kept being informed it was in processing.  Not once did someone look to see if there was a problem for me and our electric being turned off was imminent.  So, I paid the electric, but that made us short on the rent!  I just found out that they are saying we were denied help for lack of turning something in.  I can't seem to get a straight answer as to what was missing.  When I realized about the SS card, they had me fax it in.  This also cost me money.  The first time they said they didn't receive it even though I had a confirmation page.  The second time Camille told me they got it and that was all that was missing and that it was back in processing.
Well, now I have the electric company caught up, but we are way behind in our rent and were served a 3-day notice.  Our lease was up in September and we really want and need to move.  I had the money to move, but then the hurricane struck and used up every cent I had!  I spoke with FEMA and they said I could be reimbursed for our hotel stays and they had me fax in my receipts.  I spoke with them last Friday and had a girl helping me.  I was on hold with them for almost two hours.  She had someone on the line that I was holding for at the time that was going to help us with our past due rent when I got disconnected!!!I immediately called back and the girl that answered told me there was nothing FEMA could do for me, when just minutes before I was told the exact opposite!  That girl was cussing up a storm and did not sound trained, so I ended the call and called back.  The second girl was VERY rude to me!  And was also cussing and clearly was not trained and told me my case had been CLOSED!!!
I am getting ready to call again right now.  I haven't had time all week because I have been trying to find help with our rent from various places and jumping through hoops. We could swing the rent now because my 19-year-old son just landed a pretty good job and my 24-year-old son who is also working has moved in with us to help with the rent!  It is the back rent we are having trouble with.  I found this email address while searching for help.  Community action has our application now.  We mailed it in because we missed the appointment we had because of my mom's fall.  She was in surgery the day of our appointment.  I am at the end of my rope and desperate.  Our landlord said if I don't pay them a substantial portion of what is past due by MONDAY they will go ahead with the legal proceedings.  These people served us the second 3-day notice before we could even get back in the house after the hurricane!  They had knowingly taken my last $900 two weeks before during the hurricane and then served us again! They fully understand we are both on SS and only get paid once a month on third!  I don't know how they came up with Monday.  We get paid Friday! 
Ok, so now you know a little of our history and predicament.  Both my mom and I worked our entire lives and paid into these programs, but now we need help for the first time and can't find a soul to help us!  My mom is still in a wheelchair and can't walk and with my MS, when I am under stress it magnifies my symptoms till I can't get out of bed.  We are both scared to death and have NOWHERE to turn and seem to hit a brick wall at every turn. I know other people get help with these things.  I don't understand what I am doing wrong.  Please, please let me know if there is anywhere else for us to turn for some/any kind of financial help to get us out of this hole we are in as community action is to slow for us!  I am extremely worried about my elderly mother.  She also has heart problems.  I just had to cancel her stress test and heart Dr. appointment because we do not have the money for her co-pay.  That is another thing, she has Medicaid, but they aren't paying!  I have tried and tried to get a hold of them to find out why, but the line either hangs up on me or I leave a message, and no one calls me back!Thank you in advance for any help you can find for us and for taking the time to read my sob-story.  I am frightened and do not know where to turn.  The local community action said they have 21 days to give us an answer, that will be TO LATE!!!
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Any Community Action Agency decision is too late

Post by Admin »

Well of course the application process is slow, methodical, and it takes time. in fact, a community action agency (or any organization) is under no obligation to help you. If you get any amount of aid be helpful. Find the details here financial aid from Florida community action agencies.
Pippa wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:03 am Hi, My name is Sherry and I am in Florida.  My family and I ended up in a 4-bedroom house that we couldn't afford because, at the time we rented it, my mom had sold her home in Bronson, FL. We applied to community action agency but the decision they make it too late to save us. The local community action said they have 21 days to give us an answer, that will be TO LATE!!!