I need a bed from a charity or church

Find charities that can provide help and assistance
Rodan
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

I need a bed from a charity or church

Post by Rodan »

I am a landlord of a 4-plex in NYC. I have a family in a downstairs unit with 2 kids one of which is a newborn. The mom is still not working and taking care of the infant, dad works at a pizza restaurant. They are pretty much hand to mouth... which you deal with every day and they are barely making their rent payment.

Recently the lady above them had her toilet overflow and the water ran down the ceiling and dripped onto the bed in the unit below, where the family I described above lives. They threw away their "bed" which was basically a mattress on the floor and have not been able to replace it since.

I'm am looking for a charity where I can get a double or perhaps a queen size bed for them. I'd like to get them a frame, box spring and mattress, if possible. I'd be willing to donate to help support what ever charity, in order to get it on behalf of this couple.

As a businessman and landlord with my own bank obligations, I must collect their rent or I will have to evict them, which I have so far avoided in-spite of their late payment history. But at the same time I would like them to be able to get a good nights sleep too, and provide them a bed with no strings attached. So that's my situation. Can you please advise me where I may be able to go to get bedding through a local charity?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: I need a bed from a charity or church

Post by Admin »

there are charity clothing closets in New York City. Now we are not sure if they will have a queen sized bed in stock, you can ask. Some will also have waiting lists so if they do not have exactly what that family in the downstairs unit wants, they can wait to see if the proper size bed comes in the future. So try the clothing closets in New York City.
Pleasant

Post by Pleasant »

I am doing a documentary about welfare and charity, including those that give furniture and beds. I see your church has charity and outreach programs. I'd love to interview someone about the issues facing the poor. I'd like to talk about the social gospel, tithing, and other issues. If anyone is willing to sit down with me I'd like to just ask a few questions, or just have a candid conversation. My goal is to bring awareness and shed light on the current state of charity and welfare.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

If you need information on how to get a bed (or how the services work), try one of the furniture banks or charities for it. Now they normally sell the items. But if your income is low enough you may qualify for a free bed. The organizations generally are willing to meet with people and explain how their programs work as well.
Stubaker

Post by Stubaker »

Hi, I am 19 years old and am 35 weeks pregnant. I currently am homeless and am need of a place to stay along with a bed from the charity. I have a part time job that just begun and is capable of paying rent, I just need a little bit of help until after I have my baby. Most places here in Kalamazoo, MI have waiting lists for months/years for a bed, and churches are not better. Personally, I cannot wait that long when my child will be here the beginning of next month. There are 1 bedroom places available for $600+/month but that is much too high right now considering I will have to be out of work for 6 weeks. Please contact me ASAP if you could I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

19 with a kid is not a good situation to be in. Good for you for working and wanting to go right back post baby. Maybe try the Salvation Army in Kalamazoo. They may have furniture and/or beds and the like. And $600 month should be doable....look into section 8 in MI too. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... n_arm.html
Stubaker wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:55 am Hi, I am 19 years old and am 35 weeks pregnant. I currently am homeless and am need of a place to stay along with a bed from the charity. I have a part time job that just begun and is capable of paying rent, I just need a little bit of help until after I have my baby. Most places here in Kalamazoo, MI have waiting lists for months/years for a bed, and churches are not better. Personally, I cannot wait that long when my child will be here the beginning of next month. There are 1 bedroom places available for $600+/month but that is much too high right now considering I will have to be out of work for 6 weeks. Please contact me ASAP if you could I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.