Living paycheck to paycheck

Find charities that can provide help and assistance
Lester
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Living paycheck to paycheck

Post by Lester »

My wife and I are struggling with paying off bills for the last five months but somehow manage since we live paycheck to paycheck due to low wages. We went to HRA and was told our salaries are too high for assistance yet our rent is a struggle each month paying $1300.00 excluding utilities. Our request is greatly needed at this time for we've been ill due to the stress and complexity of this situation, would there be any Charity, government or non profit organization here in the NYC area that could be of service in our time of need? Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Azrael77

Re: Living paycheck to paycheck

Post by Azrael77 »

Scary but there is usually no help for people like us. I suggest getting student loans and grants and go to college or back to college to get higher paying jobs. The extra $$ left over will pay a lot of your bills. No other ideas, sorry :|
Shakespear
anti spam: Blue

Post by Shakespear »

I am struggling with paying my bills. I live in [Northern] Virginia. Basically, I live paycheck to paycheck. I am a single mother, but I work full-time and still manage to pay my bills on time, however I find myself putting certain expenses like food or gas money on credit cards. I'm reluctant to ask for help as 1) I am a homeowner [FHA loan in a "low income" neighborhood 2) I have never asked for government assistance or help from a charity and for a very long time took pride in it 3) I work for a state agency and I worry it may be frowned upon that as a state employee, that I am asking for help.
The reality of the matter is, I consider myself a good person, even though I am paycheck to paycheck. I don't want to drain the state or country's resources more than already being done by already perfectly healthy people (like myself)- I don't want to be another statistic, but if there are "grants for paying electric bills" or "grocery store gift cards", I'd love to have a little help- TEMPORARILY. I mentioned those because I do not need cash. I do not NEED "help" whatsoever as I technically can put items on my credit card, but as I am already almost 10K in credit card debt + mortgage + car note, etc) with a "big kid" (9 y/o), I think I'm not making my situation any better. I am living on a paycheck each week and not splurging on clothes, fine dining, entertainment, etc. I have already cut costs wherever I could, but help OR advice is greatly appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Post by Admin »

Society of Saint Vincent has a major operation in northern Virginia. So try them. They are a leading, national charity organization made up of churches, charities, and the like. But if you live check to check, you need to ensure you build savings, build income, etc. so you do not find yourself in the same position in X weeks. Here are the northern Virginia St. Vincent programs.
Shakespear wrote:I am struggling with paying my bills. I live in [Northern] Virginia. The reality of the matter is, I consider myself a good person, even though I am paycheck to paycheck.