Need to avoid homeless shelter

Find charities that can provide help and assistance
Longone
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Need to avoid homeless shelter

Post by Longone »

My husband and I are separating after 15 years together I have 2 children ages 17 & 25 both my daughter and I are on unemployment my son is in school and only works part time. I can not afford my rent and all local agencies are unable to help at this time. They tell me to move into a homeless shelter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Need to avoid homeless shelter

Post by Admin »

Calling the local agencies is the right step. Did you call any national organizations too, as some do exist. We also have many general informational posts on saving money and getting help with bills, and that information can be found here.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/hel ... bills.html
While not as effective as financial assistance, you may get some tips from that link.
Longone wrote:My husband and I are separating after 15 years together I have 2 children ages 17 & 25 both my daughter and I are on unemployment my son is in school and only works part time. I can not afford my rent and all local agencies are unable to help at this time. They tell me to move into a homeless shelter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Pantene

Post by Pantene »

My husband lost his job early January and I can't cover my rent. I went to a bunch of local charities with no success. I was just brushed off by everyone and had to apply for food stamps but that won't pay my rent. My rent was due yesterday and I’m already a day late. I will soon be facing eviction and my husband is sleeping in the car because where I live is single occupancy and they were nice enough to let me have my daughter with me as well.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

If and when you are evicted, try a shelter in Genesee County. As you may have no way to avoid it if your husband lost his job, you are expecting an eviction, etc. The sooner you prepare for the shelter, and get on a wait list, the better. There are many to try. Read more Genesee County shelters and housing.
Pantene wrote:My husband lost his job early January and I can't cover my rent. I went to a bunch of local charities with no success. I was just brushed off by everyone and had to apply for food stamps but that won't pay my rent. My rent was due yesterday and I’m already a day late. I will soon be facing eviction and my husband is sleeping in the car because where I live is single occupancy and they were nice enough to let me have my daughter with me as well.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Hello. My live-in boyfriend was just arrested for DV charges against me. He was abusing me on all levels. I finally called the cops and fought back. Given that, until I can get a job and get back on my feet, I will be homeless. I do not want or need a shelter as I have been granted a TRO giving me exclusive rights to our residence; however, my ex controlled and paid for all bills/rent/etc. I just want the time necessary to get myself and life back so that I can once again become self-supporting, gainfully employed, and back in law school, leading a healthy, productive life. Please help me as soon as possible...my rent is due December 1st. Thanks Best,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Since you had a mortgage, maybe try to "save it" vs going into the shelter. While your ex paid the bills, was the mortgage in your name? If so, there are options (after you become gainfully employed). Learn more on getting mortgage help.
Danny wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:29 am I do not want or need a shelter as I have been granted a TRO giving me exclusive rights to our residence; however, my ex controlled and paid for all bills/rent/etc. I just want the time necessary to get myself and life back so that I can once again become self-supporting, gainfully employed, and back in law school, leading a healthy, productive life.