Help needed in understanding property taxes...

Find how to get help with taxes, such as property and income taxes.
pat0616
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Help needed in understanding property taxes...

Post by pat0616 »

I own a mobile home situated in a trailer park, where I rent the lot. The landlord pays property tax and passes it off to us, in the rent. I think that's fair.
Meanwhile, I pay taxes of $300/year, IF I pay on time. Otherwise, the penalties and interest increase the amount to $600-700. Originally, five years ago, I paid $11,000 for my home. Rather than a deed, I recieved a title, exactly like the one I have for my car. I paid taxes, of course, at the time of the purchase, just like I did when I bought the car.

I am disabled, recieving $755/month, making paying those taxes VERY difficult. Last year, I appealed my assessment and my taxes will go down begining THIS year. Meanwhile, I have to find a way to pay the $600 to avoid losing my trailer to sheriff sale this Sept. Our Pennsylvania township doesn't give us much time to pay. They will let me make payments but they will put together the two years I owe...2009 and 2010. I will be given THREE payments to pay them all off. I can't come up with that much money every 3 months. Last time I tried that, the first payment was $700 followed by two others at $600 each. Difficult to pay while trying to survive on $755 social security.

I don't understand why I am paying taxes on land I dont own (in my rent) and on my trailer that sits on it. While real estate increases in value, my trailer depreciates. In addition, I don't have a deed but a title...like a car. Is it real estate or a MOBILE home like an auto? Why did I have to pay tax on it when I bought it AND every year thereafter? And property tax isn't the only tax we pay

This whole thing seems so ridiculous. I don't mind doing my share for my community but something seems very wrong here.
helper

Re: Help needed in understanding property taxes...

Post by helper »

You indicated the taxes are required to be paid b you n the lease, so that is why you need to pay the property taxes. Or did I misunderstand what you are saying there? The landlord has every right to do that, however it must be n your lease. Does the contract say landlord requires you to pay? As far as appealing assessment and entering into payment plan, those are all the right steps to take. The only other suggesstion I ma have is call a property tax consultant. Enter into a contingency contract, meaning only pay them if they save you money.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/pro ... elps_.html

uote="pat0616"]I own a mobile home situated in a trailer park, where I rent the lot. The landlord pays property tax and passes it off to us, in the rent. I think that's fair.
Meanwhile, I pay taxes of $300/year, IF I pay on time. Otherwise, the penalties and interest increase the amount to $600-700. Originally, five years ago, I paid $11,000 for my home. Rather than a deed, I recieved a title, exactly like the one I have for my car. I paid taxes, of course, at the time of the purchase, just like I did when I bought the car.

I am disabled, recieving $755/month, making paying those taxes VERY difficult. Last year, I appealed my assessment and my taxes will go down begining THIS year. Meanwhile, I have to find a way to pay the $600 to avoid losing my trailer to sheriff sale this Sept. Our Pennsylvania township doesn't give us much time to pay. They will let me make payments but they will put together the two years I owe...2009 and 2010. I will be given THREE payments to pay them all off. I can't come up with that much money every 3 months. Last time I tried that, the first payment was $700 followed by two others at $600 each. Difficult to pay while trying to survive on $755 social security.

I don't understand why I am paying taxes on land I dont own (in my rent) and on my trailer that sits on it. While real estate increases in value, my trailer depreciates. In addition, I don't have a deed but a title...like a car. Is it real estate or a MOBILE home like an auto? Why did I have to pay tax on it when I bought it AND every year thereafter? And property tax isn't the only tax we pay

This whole thing seems so ridiculous. I don't mind doing my share for my community but something seems very wrong here.[/quote]
pat0616

Post by pat0616 »

Hi helper!!
I think you might have misunderstood me. I was saying the landlord passes his taxes on to us, just as he does all of the expenses he has for this particular parcel of land. Anything over that is "profit". I don't have a problem with that at all. In fact, I would do the very same thing if I were a landlord. After all, you go into that business with the goal of making money, not losing it.

What bothers me is, it seems as though those of us who live in mobile homes do so because we can't afford to buy a house. Long time ago, mobile homes actually WERE mobile and that is probably why we get titles and not deeds. That's not the case anymore. Its true we can move them on a giant flatbet but that is not as easy as one might think. I think if I tried to have mine moved it would fall apart. So, the way I see it, the county should make up its mind....house or "car"? Meanwhile, they should stop making us pay salestax when we buy it, followed by the same taxes paid on a house. In addition, they should take in to consideration the depreciation our mobile homes go through.

I just don't think its right we have to pay property tax on property the state obviously considers in the same way as an automobile.
Oswald12
anti spam: Blue

Post by Oswald12 »

Probably the biggest problem is I am behind on property taxes. I need help desperately. My 2012 taxes are $937. I am not done paying on 2011 and I think the balance is around $600. I found you through a lot of research.
From what I have found, I should qualify for perhaps: Homestead Exemption Deductions for seniors since I am almost 59. Also maybe Deductions for Disabled. Or maybe I can have my property reevaluated because I may be paying too much. But how do I go about all of this? Your help will be very much appreciated. You have no idea. Thanks for taking the time to read this and have a good day.
Oswald12

Post by Oswald12 »

Probably the biggest problem is I am behind on property taxes. I need help desperately. My 2012 taxes are $937. I am not done paying on 2011 and I think the balance is around $600. I found you through a lot of research.
From what I have found, I should qualify for perhaps Homestead Exemption Deductions for seniors since I am almost 59. Also maybe Deductions for Disabled. Or maybe I can have my property reevaluated because I may be paying too much. But how do I go about all of this? Your help will be very much appreciated. You have no idea. Thanks for taking the time to read this and have a good day.
TheSystem

Post by TheSystem »

My husband is 61 and has been unemployed for two years. I'm working but have a low income and now the state of Mississippi is garnishing 100 percent of my check for past state taxes owed. I have received assistance on the house note and approved for food stamps so surely there is help for these back property taxes and state taxes that my husbands employer would not deduct from his Tennessee paycheck back when he was working. Please help us with understanding any and all advise and programs you can send me!!