Jackson Co MO assistance Programs

State and local government assistance programs.
shannon
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Jackson Co MO assistance Programs

Post by shannon »

I just wanted to share some info about Jackson County Missouri assistance programs website on this link I found on your website.

http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... prog4.html

I have spent most of all of my morning calling the below centers/phones listed to find they do not serve many areas of Jackson County- maybe the web site should be changed to Kansas City/Urban areas only. (or put in an option to enter your zip code to find local assistance programs.) Most of them base their assistance off of zip code and where unable to help me. There are many other small towns & cities in Jackson County but they cant help unless you are in the right zip code.
It should also be noted almost all of them require you to have shut off/eviction notices before they can help with utilities or rent/mortgage- (note: many centers no longer have rent assistance available at all- Limitied is an understatement) Luckily I am not there yet, but given current economy conditions I will most likely be there soon.

#1 Call Catholic Charities at (816) 221-4377. ( you would better serve the needy people to just put 211 for the United Way - as I spoke with them and all they offer is referral to United Way)

#2 Economic Opportunity Foundation (913) 371-7800 This one needs to be removed completly as they only serve the State of Kansas- Wyandotte County.

#3/4/5 Metro Lutheran Ministry (816) 931-0027 & Redemptorist Social Services Center: (816) 931-9942 only serve the Kansas City Urban area

Hopefully this will help more people in my area, the following is a list of charities I found that may have assistance programs. I am still looking into some of them, but it cant hurt to call and see what they can do.

Sugar Creek (my area) Food Panty 816.254.7234 ( I am told to call after 1 pm)

St. Mary's 816.252.8649 @ 600 N. Liberty Independence, MO they can possibly help with food, clothing, meds. Wednesday & Thursdays 9-11:30 am & 1-3:15pm

The local Food Stamp office East Jackson Office
201 East Partridge Street
Independence MO 64055
Phone: (816) 325-5800
Income Maintenance Fax: (816) 325-5980

Salvation Army 816.252.3200
14700 E. Truman Rd
Independence, MO
Food Pantry 8:30-11:30am 12:30-3:00pm (fridays til 2:00pm)
They tell me of possible Utility/Rent Assistance only on Monday's 8am bring ID, proof of any employment and bills.

Local United Way call 211 or 474.5112 (I am told currently past due/shut off or eviction notices only.)

I hope this list will help to improve the web site and help more people as in need....as for myself I guess I will keep searching or be on the street soon
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Jackson Co MO assistance Programs

Post by Admin »

We also found this new link to the main Lutheran Services website. This includes all of the information on the charity, as well as local branches and affiliates. So it is a good resources for readers of this post too as they may be able to provide help. http://www.lutheranservices.org/
TimesofNY

Re: Jackson Co MO assistance Programs

Post by TimesofNY »

I was seriously injured on the job 3 years ago. I am in litigation with workers comp and have applied for state and Federal disability but the only assistance I have received has been through LEAP & a one time payment from the Salvation Army.
I live in a rural Jackson county in eastern Kansas that seems to be a black hole for assistance. I have a disconnect notice on my electric bill and have had no income coming in for over a year now and I have been dependent upon friends and family. The generosity of my friends and loved ones has taken it's toll on their personal finances.
My condition is associated with brain trauma and 24-7 headaches and heat is a serious issue due to work related heat stroke. I also am dependent upon the use of a C-Pap machine for sleep apnea that was also non existent before the accident, so as you can imagine electricity is an essential necessity.