Survivor benefits from social security

State and local government assistance programs.
TweedD
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Survivor benefits from social security

Post by TweedD »

Hello,
I live in San Dimas, California (Los Angeles County) with my daughter. My husband was diagnosed with cancer in December 2015 and is now in the hospital but unfortunately the doctors don't think he's going to make it. He has always paid our rent with his Social Security checks and I pay everything else with mine. How does the SSI survivor benefits work?
If he passes, it's going to take at least 60 days for his Social Security to be transferred to me. In that time period I will have to pay rent for two months. My Social Security isn't enough to pay for the full rent, I'll be -$600. I'm hoping you can help me find a way to pay my rent until I am able to receive my husband’s Social Security checks.
sasolis
anti spam: Blue

Re: Survivor benefits from social security

Post by sasolis »

Your widow or widower may be able to get full benefits
at full retirement age. The full retirement age for
survivors is age 66 for people born in 1945-1956. And the
full retirement age will gradually increase to age 67 for
people born in 1962 or later. Your widow or widower can
get reduced benefits as early as age 60. If your surviving
spouse is disabled, benefits can begin as early as age 50.
For more information on widows, widowers, and other
survivors, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/survivorplan
AdamSmith

Post by AdamSmith »

My name is Mary, I have been disabled over 12 years and get social security survivor benefits. I have used up my savings, lived with family, now I am residing with my ex-husband (who is bipolar) and my 30 year old son who is an addict. My ex-husband is very abusive to me, that is why I had to divorce him many years ago. My disability is getting worse and my depression is at an all-time high. My ex-husband threatens to kick me out every several weeks. I cannot live like this anymore, on just survivor benefits from social security. Before my disability I was employed by the Town of Davie in the finance department.
I spent a week building homes for Habitat for Humanity, I enjoyed my job very much. But things have changed drastically. I need a place as soon as possible; I do receive social security Benefits but it is not enough to cover rent or utilities. I receive $793 a month. I am definitely afraid of my ex-husband and of being homeless. I have tried to write letters to various agencies but they just pass me along to someone else who cannot help me. Please help me or direct me to someone who can really help me. I have any documents you require. Please. Thank you  for time,
Mary
Davie, Fl. 33324
If possible e mail, I do not want anyone else answering the phone, then you  
Sami Parker

Post by Sami Parker »

Hi my name is Sharon. I reside in Pike County in Greentown Pa. I am in a desperate situation and am ready to give up here as I only live on surviror social security benefits. I am not sure where to begin. Please bear with me I’ll try to explain the best I can. I am a widow and I am on Social Security Disability. I started having problems while my husband was still alive. I was unable to continue working. I spent a good almost decade in awful shape. At this time I had a houseful of kids.
There were many times I thought I wouldn’t live to see them grow up.
A mesh infection started most of the problems that still exist today including seizures.
Once I had to give up working. My husband and I immediately began having financial difficulties. We barely got by on Survivor benefits from social security. Then his health started to decline. He tried to get disability. He was denied. There was no choice he had to work. It was awful. More so than I knew. His health declined even more in his line of work. One morning he took his own life and that was the beginning of the end here for me. I still had 3 kids in school. They are about a year apart in age
My kids have grown now. My youngest in his 3rd year at Shippensburg. I feel I did the best I could under my circumstances. But not without a huge toll on my mental health. As hard as it is to type this let alone even admit it out loud. I let my anxiety and PTSD destroy me to the point that I can’t hold my thought process long enough to concentrate or honestly retain information.
It’s pretty bad. If your familiar with these conditions you know what I mean.
I have in recent months found a job that I can handle. I’m still able to get my disability from social security.
The problem is I am behind in my property taxes - about to loose my home. My home is paid in full. If I lost this I could never afford to rent. There’s no way. The biggest issue for me is the penalties& interest. It’s killing me. I feel if I could get out from underneath the back taxes that I would have no problem just paying the year as they come. By the time I get to pay enough not to loose my home till the next time. It’s double what it would have been if I had paid it. Now that I’m all alone and have a little job I think I could do this. I’m not paying for this, that, and the other that goes along with having kids. I do my best to help the one in college with little expenses that come up but that’s it. The stress of the taxes is taking a big toll on me here. I need to know where to turn. Where to find the help& if any forgiveness is offered, what programs if any are there? I’m at my wits end here.
I’m trying to look on line but it’s a lot to retain and I’m ready to cry. I’m hoping by contacting you that you can e-mail me any helpful places to turn. Going from one site to another. Not knowing what’s legitimate or what’s a scam is not going help me. I’ll wind up giving up. So I’m hoping that since this looks like a legitimate government site& that you will know places to contact that are real. Thank u in advance and sorry about the lengthy message but It’s a long history of how I got here. Thought it would help to know most of the facts.