Living on SSI survivor benefits only

State and local government assistance programs.
Terese
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Living on SSI survivor benefits only

Post by Terese »

I'm a 59 year old disabled widow who's living with her elderly sister in her apartment. I just had to sign a year lease, so I could stay with my sister to help pay her bills. And, I’m barely able to do that with my SSDI survivor benefits!
I need financial help paying the rent, and, utilities, since I get very low-income. Can I get rent payment assistance if I live with my sister in her apartment? I'll be getting survivor's benefits when I turn 60 next year. But, I’ll still be getting below poverty level income. And, I need help paying the rent, and utilities. Thanks!
Patty

Re: Living on SSI survivor benefits only

Post by Patty »

I'm a 43 year old disabled single mother caring for my 4 daughter's & I am raising & have custody of my nephew because his mother, my sister, passed away. I receive disability benefits & my nephew receives Survivors Benefits from the SSA. All children are in school & I receive Home Health Care. I'm without transportation right now because someone tried to steal my car & they messed up the entire steering column. I had enough money to replace & repair the steering column but the mechanic found that the fuel pump was out & I do not have money to buy the part or have it repaired so therefore I'm out pic transportation. Because of that, I've missed numerous doctors’ appointments, have problems getting to the grocery store, taking kids to appointments & cannot get out to pay bills.
I'm looking for programs that would help me with rent, utility bills, transportation &/or auto repairs, home repairs, etc. This will be in addition to the SS survivor benefits. I live in Roosevelt County in Portales, NM, a very small community that doesn't have a lot of resources. Can you please help us & point us in the right direction to resources in our community? We would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Berman

Re: Living on SSI survivor benefits only

Post by Berman »

I'm a 36 year old female, totally and permanently disabled due to physical and mental illness. My husband of 2 years was mentally & emotionally abusive but just this week has left me with the apartment, utilities, bills, no money for $884 rent, food or basic necessities. My income from SSDI Survivor benefits $694 and disability $225. I don't have anywhere to go and no money from other sources. I need help please. Very scared and panicked.