Living on a veteran pension

State and local government assistance programs.
Baker
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Living on a veteran pension

Post by Baker »

Hi,
I am an involuntarily-retired senior due to life & circumstances. I get a small veteran pension.
I have a very low income, and I'm was/will be getting Section 8 assistance.
I was told to leave my previous residence because the new owners did not want Section 8. It took two months to find a suitable place that would take my 2 cats & Sec 8.
I finally found a place through a mutual friend of the manager. But I had reached my move-out deadline and was going to be living in my car with my cats. Because it is way too hot for that & the accompanying pain of being 63, and on the word of our mutual friend vouching for me, I was allowed to "camp out" (with only a borrowed air bed, chair, lamp & table) while I patiently waited for Sec 8 to do its job.
Well, Section 8 did not do its job. I turned in the paperwork at the beginning of the month. Because they did not call to tell me that one blank was not filled in, and because I am patient & trusting & didn't check up on them (like they request), nothing was done for two weeks! I fixed it in one minute when I finally found out.
I have had no Sec 8 assistance this month because one ended last month & the other has not started. Now I am facing the end of the month. I have been camping out rent-free & the manager is not happy (nor am I). Section 8 is still working on it. It will not be retroactive for this month. I am hoping I can move in with my things next month, but who knows? My fate is in their hands.
What I am asking from you is to pay only this month's rent. Section 8 should pick it up next month.
Additionally, I have had my belongings in storage since I had no destination. I got a half-price deal for 3 months. Next month the price doubles. If I do not get my things out by the end of this month, they will want $235 from me for next month (no pro-rating for leaving early). If my things are not moved, I would appreciate assistance paying that bill.
Because I am a homeless veteran, Veterans Community Services charity will help me out with the security deposit & cost of moving my things from storage, but again, slow as molasses & I only have a few days left for them to approve getting it handled. I hope that your process moves a little faster. So far I have only been let down by ones I have counted on. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get the ball rolling & keep it rolling, if you let me.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this & consider my plight. I only need emergency financial assistance to get me past this temporary hump. By next month I think things will return to normal.
Malone

Re: Living on a veteran pension

Post by Malone »

I am unable to pay rent this month due to a few unexpected emergencies and delay in my pension payment. I also have medical issues and struggle to pay the AC bill. My landlords have stated if I don't have it paid in full by the 15th they will file eviction and their policy is to not accept payment once eviction is filed. I have lived there after leaving military as a veteran for 1 year and 5 months and do not want to have to move. Is there anywhere that I can apply for help while I wait on my veteran pension payment from HUD??
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Living on a veteran pension

Post by Admin »

LIHEAP may be a good option for you. it can be for seniors, veterans, and low income families. There is also an emergency component too. Maybe some short term relief until that pension payment comes in. Read more on LIHEAP application process.
Malone wrote:I am unable to pay rent this month due to a few unexpected emergencies and delay in my pension payment.