Illegal job termination

State and local government assistance programs.
Chevy
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Illegal job termination

Post by Chevy »

Was terminated from FT Employment on 2/13/15 & Denied NYSUI Benefits. Requested Fair Hearing, but still waiting. Have had no cash flow for almost 2 months, have 2 children and I am supporting & getting behind on priorities including rent & utility bills while waiting on change of determination and/or Fair Hearing Date. Phone was disconnected due to the lack of income, which has made it difficult to obtain a new job. Please help.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Illegal job termination

Post by Admin »

If you were illegally terminated, there are attorneys that work pro-bono that can help you. They work as part of the federal government supported legal services program. They deal with job terminations, firings, and the like. Find free attorneys to try. They can also go to the Fair Hearing you have.

Chevy wrote:Was terminated from FT Employment on 2/13/15 & Denied NYSUI Benefits. Requested Fair Hearing, but still waiting. Have had no cash flow for almost 2 months, have 2 children and I am supporting & getting behind on priorities including rent & utility bills while waiting on change of determination and/or Fair Hearing Date. Phone was disconnected due to the lack of income, which has made it difficult to obtain a new job. Please help.
TimMac

Re: Illegal job termination

Post by TimMac »

Dear Sir or Madam,
I don’t know if you can help or advise me. I am an adult Jewish woman (age 48) living currently in Medford, MA. I am single, with no children or spouse and was terminated from my job, I think illegally. I hate to say that I have a temporary housing problem and must move by the end of August, though I will have little time to look for a room and have no money, at this time, for a deposit or rent. I have been delayed in getting re-employed after time off, for cancer treatment (from which I fully recovered), and am here in MA without family. I have one elderly father, in Los Angeles, but he is in full-time care and unable to help me at this time. I had a temporary position, in university administration, until May. So, I am not completely unqualified, but in June and July, I wasn’t earning in any money, I have no valuables to sell and my credit is bad (have defaulted on student loans, during cancer treatment). On the upside, I now have employment (as of last week), but my current landlady has just asked me to leave.
This is the worst possible time for this to happen; just as I am about to recover from my losses, I’m at risk of being homeless. I do not qualify for any form of temporary government assistance (as I was overseas for a long time, doing my studies, so I don’t qualify for unemployment insurance). So I’ve already had to sell all my valuables to survive, during periods of unemployment. There is nothing else of cash value I can sell, at this point. I also don’t have any family willing to help and have reached out to friends, but none seem able to help me, at this time, with this particular issue, and I’m under enormous time pressure.
As of a week ago, I have been working p/t in retail in Cambridge (near Inman Square) and will be beginning a second p/t job, in Boston, on Wednesday, August 3rd, to meet my needs since the illegal termination. However, I don’t have money, up front, to move by the end of this month. Even though it’s wonderful that I’ve just gotten re-employed unfortunately, I have little time to look for a room to rent, because of my chaotic work schedule, and I have about $100 cash in my account — enough to eat (maybe) for the next week, until I get paid, on August 12th, but not enough to move or even rent a room. Rooms, in shared homes, even in Medford, are no less than $700-800/month rent, and most people want at least one month and security, up front, which I don’t have (some want first, last month plus a security deposit). I’m also without a car, here (I sold that last year) and no financial leverage and little time (outside of work hours) to make a housing transition right now. As I said, I have about $100 in my bank account, and I cannot even make a deposit on a room in a shared house or apartment by September 1st, which is my deadline.
Is there any person or organization you know of who would offer me at least a temporary room, or an interest-free loan or grant until mid-late September? While I sue the employer for terminating my illegally? I’m sure once I start receiving paychecks this won’t be a problem, but my landlady decided to replace me before even getting the news that I’d been hired for another job. She did this 2 days ago and seems inflexible on this issue.
If you wish to give me a ring. I am from out of state, but am now living in Massachusetts, not far from Tufts University.
I look forward to hearing from you and am open to your advice.
Best wishes,