Out of food in North Carolina

State and local government assistance programs.
Candy
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Out of food in North Carolina

Post by Candy »

Hello.
I am lost in where to look for help right now. I thought maybe this would be a good place to start.
My wife and I have been married 33 years, and I am 71 and she is 64. I work part time because I have been looking for at least a year for full time work and can’t seem to find it. My job is a very low paying job, although when you count just my net, it doesn’t look too bad on paper. I drive for a medical pharmacy delivering prescriptions to a nursing home. I am paid 78.50 daily 5 days a week. The problem is, I drive 230 miles daily. I use $30+ in gas daily and car mileage is about 1150 miles a week. Maintenance such as tires, oil changes, depreciation, etc. are absurd. So as you can tell my gross is probably close to $35-$40 a day after all. That doesn’t buy very many things, such as the food we need, or pay bills.
My wife looked for work for months and finally got a job working at Harris Teeter in the floral shop. They were giving her $8.25 an hour and she was getting around 28-32 hours every week since March until this past couple weeks. They are remodeling and corporate told management to cut everyone’s hours. Last week she had 15 hours, this week 12. We were struggling before she got a job then it started to get a bit better but now we’re are in financial distress again. PLUS we have a new burden. She has been having a lot of back pain and 4 weeks ago was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis. The ortho doctor says she is going to have to have surgery. When she does she will be out of work for an indefinite period of time recovering. It will be devastating and probably a catastrophic event to us financially.
We get food stamps and are always out of food with about 2 weeks to go. I am constantly looking for gas money just to go to work. I don’t know what to do. We didn’t qualify for the TANF program.
I now have a cutoff for $525 with Duke Energy (yearly adjustment bill as we on a set payment every month and the year ended owing a balance). I have until June 24th. We were in bad shape a few months ago and we got help from I believe Goodwill. But I’m sure they can’t help us again.
Trust me I have been looking everywhere for work, even a 2nd job to supplement my other job, but I just can’t get a break. I guess nobody wants to hire someone 71 years old. I will file for SS when the time comes before my 72nd birthday, but for now. We are just about at the end.
Any idea would be helpful of if you can refer us to somewhere that can help us. These are tough times.
TBaldwin

Re: Out of food in North Carolina

Post by TBaldwin »

Me and my husband have 8 children and two sets of twins living in a three bedroom house. But it has broken windows. Now our income was $200 a month for about 6 months and our electricity bill was $200 for up to a month so we got behind on our electricity bill. Our grocery bill is about $400 per month for all of them.
There's no work within 45 miles from were we live and house prices are high in Charlotte. We want to move closer to the city in low income housing where schools, Dr.Office, work and everything is convenient for us so we could get on our feet again.
But we got a shut off notice anyway now and an eviction notice because I'm behind on my rent also. We also have bare cupboards so we are out of food. I'm looking for help with Assistance paying our bills and/moving costs to where there is work. My husband is a strong hard worker and could do just about anything and myself. I am also willing to work doing anything or I could learn to get the job done right so please respond ASAP. Thank you and God bless.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Out of food in North Carolina

Post by Admin »

The job market is very strong in the Charlotte North Carolina area, so we have no idea how you can say there are no jobs. Also, having 8 children when your income did not support that lifestyle is a very poor decision. Now they grow up hungry, may repeat the cycle of poverty, etc. But anyway, try these North Carolina based food pantries, as maybe they can help offset that large grocery bill. But you made poor decisions and your options are limited. So also ask the food pantry for budgeting, financial education classes, and other case management services.