Disability application is being held up

State and local government assistance programs.
Bashir M
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Disability application is being held up

Post by Bashir M »

On October 18th 2014 I was laid off from my job. It made physically sick (I got Shingles) and I was devastated as I thought I would be retiring from that company when I turned 62. I tried for more then a year to find work but could not find anything which I believe is due to my age. I also have multiple medical problems. I am extremely depressed, Diabetic (in 2010 I had to have amputated due an infection, Heart problems, Arthritis and Migraine headaches.
On January 30th of this year I applied for permanent disability and on February 18th I rec'd a letter from Disability saying my Doctor had to sign some papers before they processed my application. I brought those papers to my Doctor at Highland Hospital in Oakland less then a week later after getting the letter from disability and was assured that everything would taken care of. Every time I checked my application info online it said "pending medical provider form". Since the beginning of April I have been trying to find out where that paper work has gone (or in my case not gone) and according to my Dr. she filled out the papers and the person that handles disability cases at the Adult Clinic could not find anything on the computer that shows any paper work was sent to Disability. As of today the person that handles the claims said she scanned the paper work to my Dr. and is waiting for her to scan it back.
Highland Hospital is a county hospital and teaching hospital so my Dr. is a Resident and leaving for another assignment the end of June so I am really trying to resolve this before she leaves. My unemployment ran out December 2014. I was able to pay my half of the rent for January and February. For March I borrowed the money and for April my sister was kind enough to give up her gold jewelry to be melted down. My parents are deceased and I have NO other options to pay my half of the rent which is due May 15th. I have tried multiple agencies here in Oakland and none of them are able to help me. I would rather die then be homeless! PLEASE help. My half of the rent is $775.00. Thank you,
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Disability application is being held up

Post by Admin »

We do have suggestions on how the disability application process works, who to contact for advice or support, and other tips. Yes, the process does take time (months) and your medical provider does need to approve it too. Also, if your doctor transfers from the hospital, that should have zero influence on them stating whether you are disabled or not. Just call the doctor and ask them. So we have many tips on the application process too. Find other details on state and federal government disability assistance programs.
Bashir M wrote:On October 18th 2014 I was laid off from my job. It made physically sick (I got Shingles) and I was devastated as I thought I would be retiring from that company when I turned 62. I tried for more then a year to find work but could not find anything which I believe is due to my age. I also have multiple medical problems. I am extremely depressed, Diabetic (in 2010 I had to have amputated due an infection, Heart problems, Arthritis and Migraine headaches.
On January 30th of this year I applied for permanent disability and on February 18th I rec'd a letter from Disability saying my Doctor had to sign some papers before they processed my application. I brought those papers to my Doctor at Highland Hospital in Oakland less then a week later after getting the letter from disability and was assured that everything would taken care of. Every time I checked my application info online it said "pending medical provider form". Since the beginning of April I have been trying to find out where that paper work has gone (or in my case not gone) and according to my Dr. she filled out the papers and the person that handles disability cases at the Adult Clinic could not find anything on the computer that shows any paper work was sent to Disability. As of today the person that handles the claims said she scanned the paper work to my Dr. and is waiting for her to scan it back.
Highland Hospital is a county hospital and teaching hospital so my Dr. is a Resident and leaving for another assignment the end of June so I am really trying to resolve this before she leaves. My unemployment ran out December 2014. I was able to pay my half of the rent for January and February. For March I borrowed the money and for April my sister was kind enough to give up her gold jewelry to be melted down. My parents are deceased and I have NO other options to pay my half of the rent which is due May 15th. I have tried multiple agencies here in Oakland and none of them are able to help me. I would rather die then be homeless! PLEASE help. My half of the rent is $775.00. Thank you,
Gamer

Post by Gamer »

I am currently on Long Term disability with my employer and applying for even more help. I get a little over $1300.00 a month. I am currently living with family, however I will be needing to secure a place of my own. I would need assistance with paying rent. I would need reduced rent. I am awaiting a decision with SSA on weather I get permanent disability. I plan on looking for PT work to help support me. But have to find something that supports my disability while the application is put on hold. Please let me know if there is any programs that you know of that can help me.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Sometimes legal aid can help people apply for disability (or other benefits). Your income of $1300 month should qualify you for free legal aid, but there may be a backlog in Louisiana....as well as other cities. But as not noted, seeking work is also a good idea, such as a PT job. Disability can still be used even if you are working, and find other legal resources in Louisiana here. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... e_and.html