My retirement income s not enough for my bills

State and local government assistance programs.
Candy
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

My retirement income s not enough for my bills

Post by Candy »

I am a 72 year old retired man. I just lost my wife to Alzheimer’s in October and of course lost almost half the household income due to her Social Security stopping. Not only did it put me behind payments for bills in that month, since they stopped that months check due the end of Oct, but I am not out almost $1,000 a month every month.
My income is limited to my Social Security check and a small amount of money from my little hot dog stand. My combined income is now around $14,000 a year.
I am having problems paying bills, like my electric bill at $220 a month and others. My credit card is almost maxed out. My roof has started to show it is in need of replacement and my heating and air conditioning unit is in need of service. As an example, my heater has not turned off for almost two days due to the cold spell. I was informed the last time it was serviced, that it is operating on only half of two heat strips, so it can't seem to keep up because of the cold.
I am at my whits end trying to make a plan to dig out of this mess, but I am limited, as I have heart problems and use a pacemaker, and at almost 73, I am not one to get a job easily.
Right now I need help with my electric and propane costs (I cook and make hot water with propane) and I know I need some work on the home to solve some of the energy problems. I am close to a big problem on my other bills. Though I am not a person who easily asks or others, can you send me in the right direction to get help? I understand the LIHEAP program can do things for me. There are also ways to get help from utility companies.
FamilyHelp

Re: My retirement income s not enough for my bills

Post by FamilyHelp »

I am losing my job after nearly 4 years, was a clinician in the hospital. I right now have a small retirement pension from a previous job.
I need rental assistance due January 10th and other help. I could use tips as to which Mass Health insurance plans best suit my needs, medications.
I need to Pursue Food stamps and Financial assistance.
I want to work FT again ASAP to help bring in income in addition to retirement. Hope this crisis is short-lived.
I am a 58 year old woman, alone, self-supporting with no friends nearby. My family; wealthy republican siblings can't relate to how these things happen. Have no children. Neighborhood not so safe.
Where do you suggest I begin? I do have a car for now, am a Worcester resident.
Thank you for your assistance. Should I make an appointment with CMHA?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: My retirement income s not enough for my bills

Post by Admin »

We suggest you start at a Massachusetts agency on Aging Center. Those locations can give you tips and advice on everything you specified...Mass Health, housing for seniors, how to get a full time job, etc. The fact you were working in a hospital should help you find a job, as there are tons of jobs in the medical field, including in Massachusetts. So start with the Agency on Aging center in Worcester, and then go from there.
FamilyHelp wrote:I am losing my job after nearly 4 years, was a clinician in the hospital. I right now have a small retirement pension from a previous job.
I need rental assistance due January 10th and other help. I could use tips as to which Mass Health insurance plans best suit my needs, medications.
I need to Pursue Food stamps and Financial assistance.
I want to work FT again ASAP to help bring in income in addition to retirement. Hope this crisis is short-lived.
I am a 58 year old woman, alone, self-supporting with no friends nearby. My family; wealthy republican siblings can't relate to how these things happen. Have no children. Neighborhood not so safe.
Where do you suggest I begin? I do have a car for now, am a Worcester resident.
Thank you for your assistance. Should I make an appointment with CMHA?