Legal aid in New York to address housing issues

State and local government assistance programs.
LesterH
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Legal aid in New York to address housing issues

Post by LesterH »

Hello,

According to your website, Free Legal Assistance is offered to those with low income with Landlord-Tenant Problems.

We visited the Long Island Housing Authority. Our landlord is violating the Warranty of Habitability. We have had a leaking roof since moving in here in March of 2012, and the windows are need of repair and replacement as they can not maintain the legally required heat of 68 degrees, and we are freezing in here even with electric heaters running 24 hours a day, as this place is so poorly insulated, it simply can not contain the heat. And insult to injury, we can not afford the heating and electric bills....and we are NOT even warm.

We contacted Nassau/Suffolk Law services and spoke with someone at the Suffolk County Office, who said he could not help us even though the landlord is intentionally violating the Law of Warranty of Habitability.

So, either the information on your website is incorrect and needs to be removed, or the Nassau/Suffolk Law Services are refusing to help those in need.

Do you know of any one else who might actually help us? We live in Bay shore in Suffolk County NY.

Thank you.
Mr.Soft

Re: Legal aid in New York to address housing issues

Post by Mr.Soft »

Looking for a spacious home for me and my son of 6 months of age. I am currently living in a small one bedroom apartment in NYC and landlord doesn't fix everything which needs fixing. The heat only sometimes works and there are maintenance issues of and on.
I am currently working but am a single parent with no help whatsoever. Recently my food stamps were cut off and I am struggling to pay rent, utilities, diapers, food and clothing and a transpass to get back and forth to work and to daycare. Need info on how to go about getting some type of rental assistance or housing program that is affordable for my son and I. Thank you.
sasolis
anti spam: Blue

Re: Legal aid in New York to address housing issues

Post by sasolis »

You can look into Section 8, most list are years long. Why move to somewhere more spacious if you are struggling where you are now?