Help needed in Iowa for many bills

State and local government assistance programs.
Britney
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Help needed in Iowa for many bills

Post by Britney »

Hello, I am 27. I don't have any kids but I am having trouble with paying my bills, such as light, cable, and putting food in the house. If I had a really good paying job, I wouldn't need help. But I been work for this company for 5 years in Des Moines Iowa. They don't give raises and no benefits. But I get paid every week on Thursday, but every single time I turn around my check is gone by the next Monday. I try to save up to get my car fix but bills just keep coming and I really need my car. And I’m using my boyfriend car but it is very hard. Not having the funds to do what I need to do. If someone car help me out I would be more than grateful. I just want to start school for security officer and finish. But I can't because of my car and bills. If someone can really help in anyway I would be so very grateful...I am just praying for a miracle.
Newport

Re: Help needed in Iowa for many bills

Post by Newport »

I am a newly single mother in Kingsley, Iowa and am in need of help with my bills. My water bill is past due, my electric bill is past due and could be shut off any day now, I have little food for my kids, my house phone is going to be shut off. I don’t know where else to turn! I have an appointment set up for February 5 for heating assistance. I have applied for food stamps but have heard nothing as of yet. If someone could please help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Justine

Post by Justine »

I applied for LIHEAP in Benton county Iowa at the beginning of October. Due to a disconnect of electric. They denied us even though we where getting food stamps. We have fuel oil and can not afford it as we are living paycheck to paycheck. Barley have food cupboards are bare. No fuel oil. No health insurance. Except youngest son gets title 19 . Just got an electric bill of 776.00 because we have an electric heater going trying to keep warm.

We can not pay this bill and they say if not payed by May we will be shut off. Our rent is 850.00 our water is 130.00 plus other bills what are we suppose to do there are 4 of us in the house. We need help. Please.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Hello! I am trying desperately to help my sister and her husband who live in Des Moines. They are living on 700.00 a month, and have hardly any money for food , heating etc. Their food stamps are cut down and they are both disabled. I am trying to find a service or services in Iowa that can help them.
They don't have a computer so I told them I would do some research. They need to have their home weatherized, so I will contact energy assistance there. What can your office do to help someone on such a low income, and who cannot work?
I will giver them your phone number, so your will get a call from them.
Would you be so kind as to mail her any information packets and phone numbers you have that can help? She is VERY sick with many medical problems, and this would help her to at least get things on track.
She is so dear with a heart of gold, and deserves a break. THANK YOU for reading this, and caring enough to help ! THANK YOU and God Bless!
Eli34

Post by Eli34 »

Hi. I have been looking everywhere for somewhere to get help for all my bills. I am going through the worst time in my life right now. I recently lost my job of 14 years so I decided to go back to school. I now am ending up with so many unexpected bills that I can not pay.
I was seeing a guy who stole $6000 from me, that in itself was a total nightmare. I moved into my house in 2010 and from the day I moved in I have had sewer problems. Every 3 to 4 months my sewer backs up and it is a complete mess. I have spent thousands getting it fixed and having my basement cleaned out every time this happens. I have contacted the city for help and can get now answers.
I know it is not right that this keeps happening. I am now facing the problem again. They are now telling me I need a whole new sewer pipe and that could cost $4000-$8000..... I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa. I bought a remodeled flood home. The city wants to rebuild so people will move back to the neighborhood. They are letting people buy these houses and still building new knowing this problem with the sewer pipes is going on. I can NOT afford to have this fixed and can't afford to keep having the sewer back up. Is there any place that can help me pay for this???? I have contacted the city over and over and can't get any answers from them.
Thanks for your time,
Turadom

Post by Turadom »

I live in Johnson County, Iowa.
I am on SSDI @ $1070/month. I receive $98/month in food stamps.
My husband recently went to prison and I need help with my electric and/or gas bills. (Assistance with rent would be nice, but I think I can get by if I have help with utilities.
Also I DO have enough food.
(Moving is NOT an option.)
Thank you very much for any help you can give me - point me in the right direction. :)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Sorry, but there is now way to live on $1100 per month...not even in Iowa. So get a job. People on SSDI can work. Or move to a new place/with family, etc. Contact these agencies in Johnson County for help. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... on__i.html
Jackpot

Post by Jackpot »

I am a single mom of 4 kids living in Iowa. I just recently started working and I don't have the greatest credit. I am in need of a vehicle that isn't totally expensive but is reliable for kid’s appointments and work. A friend of mine told me to contact you guys and see if you know of any kind of programs or anything that might be able to help me get a vehicle. If you know of any resources that might help that would be wonderful.
 Thank you for your time.
Wacca

Post by Wacca »

Hello,
I am located in Dubuque, Iowa.  I'm currently in need of temporary, immediate,  assistance. Currently, my electricity is shut off and my water is scheduled to be shut off as of June 4th, however it's currently still on. I'm behind on rent and I'm in desperate need of assistance in Iowa.
Last year I had a house fire and it's been an uphill battle ever since. Shortly after the fire in February, in April, I had to have immediate surgery because I cut the tendon in my finger.  Due to the time off needed for surgery,  recovery and physical therapy I ended up losing my job due to lack of ability and time. I was a manager at a car dealership and making good money but because I was put in a full hand cast, I was very limited.  I was awarded unemployment and have recently been awarded an extension. I’m currently employed working at a carwash making only $8/hr. and due to weather and seniority,  my hours were very limited the first half of this year.  I have 2 boys that live in the state of Wisconsin and pay $400/month in child support on top of rent,  utilities, car payment etc.  
I'm supposed to have my son come here every other weekend but without electricity,  this cannot happen. I don't want to miss out on the very limited time I do get with him so I'm trying everything I can.  
I don't have family that I can ask in Iowa and I'm not sure what to do.  My father passed away in August,  on top of everything else.  
I also DJ and just recently the bar owner informed me he no longer needed me.  I worked for him every Thursday,  Friday and Saturday for over 6 years. This was a tremendous loss for me.
LIHEAP has approved me to receive $200 (capped amount due to number of requests).  They said they may be able to get an additional $50 with a referral to Catholic Charities, which is where their funding comes from but will only help when I’m able to come up with rest.
There was a 3 day notice on my door from the landlord the other day too.
I feel buried and overwhelmed. Any assistance or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
I thank you in advance.  
Hope to hear from you soon!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We have many programs and financial resources listed for Iowa. We hope some can help you. Everything from grant money from the government to charities or local social services, and locate help in Iowa for low-income families.