Short term help while on FMLA

State and local government assistance programs.
TylerWinkle
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Short term help while on FMLA

Post by TylerWinkle »

On FMLA (Family Leave) and taking care Of my Father and now Wife. After using up all vacation & sick time. My Employer placed me on FMLA without pay. I was not aware that I had run out of time until I received no pay for August. I contacted my employer who informed my that I was on unpaid leave. This Put Me Behind On rent & utility bills. Contacted Land Lord and utility company to explain my situation. My Land Lord did send me an eviction letter but gave me time (until 010/31/13) to try to find help before processing. I have called 211 for help/urban league/veterans assistance/salvation army/united way-ect. they either don’t have the funds or I do not qualify because of gross income limits or I do not have a child under 18 years in my home. I did fine help for water utility. but that was all that they could do and they did provide us with some food. I am just trying to find some kind of assistance to keep a roof over our heads. I am now 2 months behind on rent now. but trying to get assistance for May. The Other problem is I am deep into my bank overdraft. Which will further reduce my being able to debts. My employer is letting me work some hours. But I have to leave home to work to try and make ends meet even though it means leaving my family without care for 4 to 8 hours. I have trying all I can to juggle between family & employer. I have to work if I am to pay bills/prescriptions/Dr visits. But at the same time having to care for 2 family members in 2 homes. Hopefully you know Charity or Agency that can assist me with getting caught up and out of this hole. I have tried to be very detailed and brief on my situation. Have all documentation needed to verify if required. Thanks For reading.
Francine12

Re: Short term help while on FMLA

Post by Francine12 »

I recently just left my boyfriend and the father of my 7 month old baby. I'm currently living with my dad but there is not enough room for us all to live here. I have a job. I'm in need of help with getting a vehicle, house, furniture, and child care. I don't know where to begin to look for these things. I don't make nearly enough to just get an apartment because I'm constantly having to buy anything me or my baby needs and my only income is from FMLA. Anything would be appreciated!
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Post by Admin »

We don't think there is one agency that will help you with that long list. You may need to try different non-profits in Arizona. It looks like you did not try a community action agency. Didn't 211 refer you to them? That agency may have a list of programs for you to try as well while you are waiting to get off FMLA. Here is a listing of Arizona community action agencies with phone numbers and addresses.
Bobbyt

Post by Bobbyt »

I am having to take off work in 2 weeks for 8-12 weeks due to surgery on my hands and recently found out that I don't qualify for FMLA or short term disability due to it being a pre-existing condition and because I have not been with the company for a whole year. I am unable to postpone my surgery as it is necessary for me to be able to have continue use of my hands. However, I am hesitant because I have no clue as to any services in the Wichita county area that assist with anything as I have never had to use any. I have worked since I was 16 and am now 29 and it just seems like there is nowhere to turn. Thanks.
Candiotti

Post by Candiotti »

My husband got incarcerated for 2 1/2 hours that took a toll on my 5 kids financially. I had to take a FMLA without pay to support my kids mental health needs and now I'm backed up in everything. I have a shut off notice for electricity and my gas got cut off yesterday. Now health wise it's taking a toll on me.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are many resources for people waiting on FMLA, or who need some financial aid while on it. Both the government as well as charities may help as well. The full list of FMLA assistance programs is here.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... leave.html
Cman15

Post by Cman15 »

I have recurring health issues that at times impede my ability to work, and I have been on FMLA. At the end of April my roommates up and left me with the rent and bills for the apartment. Then in mid-july I lost my then job due to my health issues and had to move out at the end of august from the apartment as I couldn't afford it. Moved into a smaller apartment in September. And a couple weeks later started at the local Hastings store. I got paid my first week's pay (in addition to FMLA) as my first paycheck and as I used up all my savings and sold the bulk of my possessions, I will not be able to make rent for March as I am 85 dollars short.
Berna

Post by Berna »

I was on short term FMLA without pay and have applied for Social Security. My sister moved in with me to take care of me. In the mean time I lost my apartment and we had to move in with my brother and his family. The house they're renting need extensive repairs to the heating system and the landlord must pay for alternate housing for just his family. My sister and I must find shelter ASAP. I have applied for SNAP, Medical, long term FMLA - disability and WFNJ.