Assistance from a fire

State and local government assistance programs.
harrison
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Assistance from a fire

Post by harrison »

Hello,
I am hoping you can help me or direct me to the best sources you have available. I am trying to help my sister. On January 10th her house caught on fire. You may have heard about on the local news channels. Sadly her son and husband spent time in the hospital and they are still trying to recover. Things have been hard for them financially and emotionally. She did not have insurance on the house, and it is unlivable. They have been staying with my niece and her family. I guess my niece’s husband failed to have all the rent money and the check bounced. The landlord was not to happy. A notice was given to my niece, conditions are expected to be met by them but the landlord also stated that he wants my sister and her family out of there. It broke my heart today seeing my sister cry and the sad faces on all of them. My sister cannot work yet because she still has a breathing problem. Her husband cannot find work until he is fully recovered. They are looking for an apartment or house, but they have no income coming in. They are to be out by the end of the month. I am asking you with all my heart if there is anything you can help her with. Maybe a section 8 home until she is able to work. And if you know of places that would donate building materials, an electrician to do the wiring,windows and doors are also needed so they came fix the house to have a place to live, or maybe good people to donate their time and experience to help out. Please any help or resources . My sister is such a good person and has always helped others. I pray that God can lead them to the help they need. But I would like if you could call my sister with any information, resources or any good news. Thank you for your time, and please any help would be appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Assistance from a fire

Post by Admin »

While section 8 may be an option for your sister, the truth is it may time time to get housing from that program, as there is almost always a waiting list. You may need to try something like the Salvation Army or Catholic Charities for some short term transitional housing and/or shelter. Places like the Salvation Army do try to help fire victims and people who lost house or possessions due to fire or disaster. Try a local fund raiser or charity drive through church too. But get more details on the different section 8 programs by state and county too, and look into them here. http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/sec ... using.html
Almost all states offer some type of rent or voucher program.

harrison wrote:Hello,
I am hoping you can help me or direct me to the best sources you have available. I am trying to help my sister. On January 10th her house caught on fire. You may have heard about on the local news channels. Sadly her son and husband spent time in the hospital and they are still trying to recover. Things have been hard for them financially and emotionally. She did not have insurance on the house, and it is unlivable. They have been staying with my niece and her family. I guess my niece’s husband failed to have all the rent money and the check bounced. The landlord was not to happy. A notice was given to my niece, conditions are expected to be met by them but the landlord also stated that he wants my sister and her family out of there. It broke my heart today seeing my sister cry and the sad faces on all of them. My sister cannot work yet because she still has a breathing problem. Her husband cannot find work until he is fully recovered. They are looking for an apartment or house, but they have no income coming in. They are to be out by the end of the month. I am asking you with all my heart if there is anything you can help her with. Maybe a section 8 home until she is able to work. And if you know of places that would donate building materials, an electrician to do the wiring,windows and doors are also needed so they came fix the house to have a place to live, or maybe good people to donate their time and experience to help out. Please any help or resources . My sister is such a good person and has always helped others. I pray that God can lead them to the help they need. But I would like if you could call my sister with any information, resources or any good news. Thank you for your time, and please any help would be appreciated.
Swifter1

Post by Swifter1 »

I have tried to find help with my roof for a mobile home in Oakland County, MI, as it was damaged by a fire. Are there any funds any where to help me? I have checked OLHSA a few years ago and they first said I could get help as I get SSI and SS disability but bottom line they said there was no funds for roofs. I am desperate and am still looking. Do you happen to know of any place that may be able to help me and possibly windows also, as those could be replaced too. I would appreciate any info. Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The Salvation Army is always a leading charity that helps in a disaster. Whether a fire, flood, snowstorm in Michigan, or any other event, their volunteers may assist. Maybe they will give you some furniture for a new home. Or clothes. Or they can refer you to another charity in Oakland County for more long term support. So try them, and find details here. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... army_.html