Losing disability and now need help

State and local government assistance programs.
Justine
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Losing disability and now need help

Post by Justine »

I am losing my year of state disability benefits. Have been approved by Social Security for SSDI, at a much lower monthly income rate of about 1300.00. My current rent is 950 monthly. I also currently pay COBRA health care, and it looks like the lowest cost Medicare plus supplement plus drug plans will likely be about 400 monthly. Exact copays of this pending coverage are not at all really clear yet. I might be using up the 50 monthly savings by letting go of COBRA, in Medicare and related plan copays. I cannot drop my healthcare to temporarily save money and pay rent, since I am stage four prostate cancer with metastisis to bone systems, and need continuous treatment to stabilize me and keep cancer metastasis at bay. I now see clearly that I cannot pay rent (950) + health care (400 - 450) + regular living expenses (food, transportation) at even minimal levels, all drawing upon nothing but the SSDI benefit of 1300.00 monthly. I am at near risk of losing my rental apartment, going to a shelter, and then I do not know what else will happen. Any information / referrals to assistance you can provide would be most welcome. Thanks very much.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Losing disability and now need help

Post by Admin »

With those amount of medical conditions, you may want to speak to someone who can provide information on programs and billing solutions. We usually recommend medical billing advocates. Locate information on their services. As they can provide guidance with who to contact for care, and also help people deal with older medical bills and debts. They may also know of some non-profits that can help with cancer treatment and needs too.
Justine wrote:I am losing my year of state disability benefits. Have been approved by Social Security for SSDI, at a much lower monthly income rate of about 1300.00. My current rent is 950 monthly. I also currently pay COBRA health care, and it looks like the lowest cost Medicare plus supplement plus drug plans will likely be about 400 monthly. Exact copays of this pending coverage are not at all really clear yet. I might be using up the 50 monthly savings by letting go of COBRA, in Medicare and related plan copays. I cannot drop my healthcare to temporarily save money and pay rent, since I am stage four prostate cancer with metastisis to bone systems, and need continuous treatment to stabilize me and keep cancer metastasis at bay. I now see clearly that I cannot pay rent (950) + health care (400 - 450) + regular living expenses (food, transportation) at even minimal levels, all drawing upon nothing but the SSDI benefit of 1300.00 monthly. I am at near risk of losing my rental apartment, going to a shelter, and then I do not know what else will happen. Any information / referrals to assistance you can provide would be most welcome. Thanks very much.
JJackson

Post by JJackson »

Hello...I'm writing to you to find some help. My husband and I are renting to own our mobile home. We have been in it for 4 years. Last May, he was diagnosed with a rare blood disease called porphyria. He was fired from his job in August because of all the doctor visits he had to have testing done a d filed for disability. I am the only one working and we are struggling to make ends meet. He only gets $144 a week on unemployment. Is there any monies available for people like us? Our house payment is $557 a month and we are almost 3 months behind.
Pullo

Post by Pullo »

Good Afternoon,
I am emailing in hopes to see if I may schedule an appointment for assistance with my utilities and rent. I am recently unemployed and am fighting Stage 3 Triple Negative Breast Cancer. I have applied for unemployment; disability and food assistance however that is a waiting process and I am in lieu of my utilities being disconnected and need help with 1 month of rent.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Did you tell your utility company you have cancer? Many offer payment plans for the ill or provide more time. Unemployment should kick in pretty quick though. But we do have some financial aid programs listed, and find assistance in Clark County Washington.