Financial Counceling for Seniors

State and local government assistance programs.
chrisd467
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Financial Counceling for Seniors

Post by chrisd467 »

Hi,

My mom's husband died last month. There was no life insurance, or any other money left to her. She now has to live on Social Security alone, which is 80% less than what was coming in before her husband died. She has to sell her house, as she can not afford to pay the mortgage. We are looking into a reverse mortgage, but even with that, I dont think the proceeeds she would get from that are not enough to support her for more than 5 years.

She is used to living on a much higher income than she currently has. Over the last month her spending has been cut substantially, but it is not enough to where she can stay above water by the end of the month. She does not understand the dire straits that she is now in. She is talking about going to a 2 bedroom apt so that she can keep all of her things. However, the 2 br apt is $580. I dont think she will qualify to live there.

My question is this: Are there any Financial Counceling programs for senior citizens out there? I have tried to explain the situation she is in, and she says she understands, but she continues to spend money like she did before. At the present time, myself and other family members are subsidizing her so that she can pay the mortgage. But within the next 6-8 weeks our finances will no longer be able to continue. At that point, I am worried that she will be all on her own with no support.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Financial Counceling for Seniors

Post by Admin »

We usually recommend non-profit credit counselors. Whether they focus on seniors or not, not sure, but may not matter as their programs can really advise anyone in need. Many do advise on mortgage programs and housing too, such as reverse mortgages. Find a listing of credit counselors by state, http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/cre ... ncies.html , and pick your state from the list on this page.
chrisd467 wrote:Hi,

My mom's husband died last month. There was no life insurance, or any other money left to her. She now has to live on Social Security alone, which is 80% less than what was coming in before her husband died. She has to sell her house, as she can not afford to pay the mortgage. We are looking into a reverse mortgage, but even with that, I dont think the proceeeds she would get from that are not enough to support her for more than 5 years.

She is used to living on a much higher income than she currently has. Over the last month her spending has been cut substantially, but it is not enough to where she can stay above water by the end of the month. She does not understand the dire straits that she is now in. She is talking about going to a 2 bedroom apt so that she can keep all of her things. However, the 2 br apt is $580. I dont think she will qualify to live there.

My question is this: Are there any Financial Counceling programs for senior citizens out there? I have tried to explain the situation she is in, and she says she understands, but she continues to spend money like she did before. At the present time, myself and other family members are subsidizing her so that she can pay the mortgage. But within the next 6-8 weeks our finances will no longer be able to continue. At that point, I am worried that she will be all on her own with no support.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Mueller

Post by Mueller »

The situation - in Brief:
My aunt is now 66. At the time of her illness, she was 60. She was very healthy and active and working FULL TIME as well as babysitting part time.
She was working full time out of necessity. Suddenly, at the end of last summer, she suddenly became very, very ill. Luckily, after several weeks in ICU at the local University Hospital and after the removal of her entire stomach, she started to make a miraculous recovery.
After many more weeks in the hospital and then some time at a rehab facility, she is now at home and managing well. Her adult son is living with her and able to assist her with chores, etc. But, he has a considerable amount of debt from a failed business venture. So, he is not in a position to assist her financially.
As a result of her illness --- she is NO LONGER ABLE TO WORK. And as a result of her age she is NOT eligible for “Disability”. She now faces the very real possibility of losing her home of 35 years.
She does not qualify for any type of assistance whatsoever. She was barely able to heat her house last winter, but, does not qualify for any type of energy assistance.
I am writing as a last resort in the hopes that there is some type of help for her of which we are unaware.
PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!
Thank you for your time and any help or advice that you can offer.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There is a toll free number for her to try. It is known as Elder Locator. It may be able to direct her to what she needs, whether financial aid, advice, counseling, or whatever. And all of the details on data is free to her as she is 66.
Mueller wrote:The situation - in Brief:
My aunt is now 66.
As a result of her illness --- she is NO LONGER ABLE TO WORK. And as a result of her age she is NOT eligible for “Disability”. She now faces the very real possibility of losing her home of 35 years.
She does not qualify for any type of assistance whatsoever. She was barely able to heat her house last winter, but, does not qualify for any type of energy assistance.
I am writing as a last resort in the hopes that there is some type of help for her of which we are unaware.
PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!
Thank you for your time and any help or advice that you can offer.