Social Security Disability

State and local government assistance programs.
SIP1
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Social Security Disability

Post by SIP1 »

Hello,
I live in Bakersfield, CA, and I am in dire need of help this month and hopefully this month only. I have been on Social Security Disability for 19 years now. I started back to work three years ago for Kern County IHSS taking care of my 92 year old mother. She passed away 12/23/10. I plan to look for work in the near future after dealing with her loss. I did not receive my direct deposit this month on 08/01/11, Social Security finally found out that my bank returned it to the U.S. Treasury. So my local Social Security office cut me a check on 08/07/11. By then I had been penalized late fees for rent etc. What surprised me was that my car insurance is being cancelled because they doubled the regular payment to $70 and I just don't have it. I will also need help with food this month. I live in Kern County (Bakersfield) is there anyone here you can recommend that in get in touch with. If I pay the $70 before 07/25/11 they will not cancel me.
Thanking you in advance,
Weather

Re: Social Security Disability

Post by Weather »

i am a 31 year old mother of three.twins who are 11 and an 8 year old.i am 4 months pregnant with twins again.i have no income.used all the state financial assistance when i was still married to ex husband who wouldnt work.i can not work due to severe depression and anxiety disorder,i have been fighting for ssi for 4 years now.my only support is my brother who recently moved to Marietta Ohio.i am trying to get relocated to be with him so i can keep my family together.any help or info will be greatly appreciated.thank you.::
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Post by Admin »

Try to get relocation help is tough. Not many programs for that. Does employer offer it?
In the meantime here are some Marietta agencies in Ohio to call for advice. Many they have some limtied funding, or some options for you to call. Try calling organizations like Eastside Community Ministry at 740-452-7519.
Weather wrote:i am a 31 year old mother of three.twins who are 11 and an 8 year old.i am 4 months pregnant with twins again.i have no income.used all the state financial assistance when i was still married to ex husband who wouldnt work.i can not work due to severe depression and anxiety disorder,i have been fighting for ssi for 4 years now.my only support is my brother who recently moved to Marietta Ohio.i am trying to get relocated to be with him so i can keep my family together.any help or info will be greatly appreciated.thank you.::
Berman

Post by Berman »

Disabled single mother with another on the way that's facing eviction. My son and I have been sleeping on an air mattress for the last nine months and now we're facing a far worse reality. Homelessness! Most of all the agencies I have contacted (Urban League, Salvation Army, etc.) have little or no resources available. I'm on a fixed income (SSDI and SSI) and its impossible to keep up with current bills and rent and catch up on rears. I certainly hope you know of some other resources or grant programs that might be of assistance to me concerning my situation. Thank you and God Bless!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

That is a significant amount of help you need across the board. I think you just want to start with the primary site of http://needhelppayingbills.com/index.html
As this is the starting point for thousands of phone numbers, names, agencies, charities, etc. As far as calling the Salvation Army, Urban League, etc. those are all the right steps to take. Just need to keep calling and be persistent.

Berman wrote:Disabled single mother with another on the way that's facing eviction. My son and I have been sleeping on an air mattress for the last nine months and now we're facing a far worse reality. Homelessness! Most of all the agencies I have contacted (Urban League, Salvation Army, etc.) have little or no resources available. I'm on a fixed income (SSDI and SSI) and its impossible to keep up with current bills and rent and catch up on rears. I certainly hope you know of some other resources or grant programs that might be of assistance to me concerning my situation. Thank you and God Bless!
GogoJill

Post by GogoJill »

Dear Sirs,
I and my husband are on S.S.D.I. ....we had a issue this month to here our money ran out before our bills..Can you please help me to pay our electric bill somehow...Please I am begging for your help...My husband has to have breathing treatments for his Scarcoidosis..we are both diabetics also...Please Please Help us.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We can't help pay your electric bill, but we can provide information on programs and options for you. Here are details on electric bill help in California. The number of programs offered by energy providers is quite extensive, but you do need to call around and do the work. For example, call Pacific Gas & Electric at 1-800-933-9555 and ask about the Energy Partners Program.
GogoJill wrote:Dear Sirs,
I and my husband are on S.S.D.I. ....we had a issue this month to here our money ran out before our bills..Can you please help me to pay our electric bill somehow...Please I am begging for your help...My husband has to have breathing treatments for his Scarcoidosis..we are both diabetics also...Please Please Help us.
Woo-Hoo

Post by Woo-Hoo »

A friend of mine forwarded your site to me because he has friends whose parents are in the same situation that my father is in. I have to stay up all night to turn my Dad; who can no longer walk; has a feeding tube and is in a hospital bed in the middle of her living room. I will try to explain the situation here because I have to try to get my sleep during the day while my stepfather watches her during the day. There is only the 2 of us trying to take care of him. My parents get $1900 a month in SS and that is the total of their income. I've found that with most government agencies they feel that this is too much money; but my father has to have 24/7 care and they cannot afford to pay someone and Medicare and his supplement Aetna insurance will not pay for continued care. My father is not dying from anything at this moment so he isn't ready for Hospice. I wish these agencies would realize that I cannot work because I must live here to care for him. he got sick back in the middle of Oct and has had 6 hospital stays since the end of August. Her sodium keeps dropping causing confusion and no Dr can figure out why. Because of the hospital stays; his muscles have weakened to the point where he can no longer walk; stand or even sit up on the side of the hospital bed by herself. If my father could only get several weeks of physical therapy he could walk again and that would help the confusion because he would be doing ADLS and be able to understand what day it is; that he is hungry; or that he needs to drink but we can't afford to pay for help and the Medicare/Aetna will not give her any more days of rehab until the middle of Feb; 60 days after he was given only 7 days of rehab. We can't afford the no rinse supplies to even give him a bed bath and he is unable to get into a bathroom for a real shower and his home is not set up for a disabled person. The one agency and including food stamps think he makes too much money. They never ask how much her house payment is; which is $850; that doesn't include home owners insurance ($600/yr) and taxes for impact fees that San Diego county charges ($900/yr) and maintenance fees for the park of almost ($50/month) plus electric; water, car ins for my stepfather; food and all the extra supplies he needs since he is totally bed ridden. he must wear incontinence briefs, have zinc ointment to try to prevent bed sores; medications because she also has a 2 heart conditions and right now we are fighting C Diff; a terrible bacteria from having to wear briefs. I clean her with soap and water and fight it night and day but my step father and I are getting wore out trying to do this all on our own. I'm just overwhelmed; I'm sorry for ranting. Its just so sad to me that as sick as he is; they will probably lose their home and then I don't know what will happen to them. And the worse part is that my father could walk again; he could get so much better if only there was help out there to get her real therapy. When he was at Oceanview in New Symrna; they gave her therapy 2 times a day 5 days a week and once on Sat's and he rested on Sun. All the in home medical professionals that were covered for only 3 visits believe Dad has just given up because they are not with her all the time. I talked with the social worker at the hospital this last time and even he understood; its not that Mom wants to die; its just that its so much easier when its family to let us do everything for her; than it is for her to work at it and he can only get that kind of help from an outside source. I would be thankful if we could just get help with her incontinence briefs; no rinse hygiene products.....anything that will lessen the financial burden that costs so much extra and is taking away from the money they do get from their Social Security check and has now added up so much they are so behind and soon they will lose their home if I can't find help. Please tell me there are grants or donations or special organizations somewhere that help people to get medical care that Medicare/Aetna won't cover and that the patient can't afford to pay for. Any kind of help would be so greatly; greatly appreciated; even if its just for supplies. I wish the companies that evaluate her income would consider me as a dependent because like I said; my Mom needs 24/7 care and I can't go out and find work because they can't pay someone to do it. Please email me back if you think there is ANYTHING out there. Once you do; and if you think there is help somewhere; I will give you my number to get ahold of us. We have bill collectors calling all the time from hospitals; and regular home bills. Thank you so much for any help you may be able to get for my Mom. he's a strong woman and the longer he lays in a bed without therapy; the faster her muscles will completely break down and then he will never walk again or get better. Thank you again
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

While thank you for the extensive information and detail, it seems like you may need a number of assistance programs. Here is one that lists states towards the bottom of the page, with more federal assistance resources at the top of the site. http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/sta ... progr.html
Usually if you are dealing with a health insurance company such as Aetna, you may want to work with your employer (who provides the coverage) or your local social services agency too. And just keep looking into various programs for your father.
Woo-Hoo wrote:A friend of mine forwarded your site to me because he has friends whose parents are in the same situation that my father is in. I have to stay up all night to turn my Dad; who can no longer walk; has a feeding tube and is in a hospital bed in the middle of her living room. I will try to explain the situation here because I have to try to get my sleep during the day while my stepfather watches her during the day. There is only the 2 of us trying to take care of him. My parents get $1900 a month in SS and that is the total of their income. I've found that with most government agencies they feel that this is too much money; but my father has to have 24/7 care and they cannot afford to pay someone and Medicare and his supplement Aetna insurance will not pay for continued care. My father is not dying from anything at this moment so he isn't ready for Hospice. I wish these agencies would realize that I cannot work because I must live here to care for him. he got sick back in the middle of Oct and has had 6 hospital stays since the end of August. Her sodium keeps dropping causing confusion and no Dr can figure out why. Because of the hospital stays; his muscles have weakened to the point where he can no longer walk; stand or even sit up on the side of the hospital bed by herself. If my father could only get several weeks of physical therapy he could walk again and that would help the confusion because he would be doing ADLS and be able to understand what day it is; that he is hungry; or that he needs to drink but we can't afford to pay for help and the Medicare/Aetna will not give her any more days of rehab until the middle of Feb; 60 days after he was given only 7 days of rehab. We can't afford the no rinse supplies to even give him a bed bath and he is unable to get into a bathroom for a real shower and his home is not set up for a disabled person. The one agency and including food stamps think he makes too much money. They never ask how much her house payment is; which is $850; that doesn't include home owners insurance ($600/yr) and taxes for impact fees that San Diego county charges ($900/yr) and maintenance fees for the park of almost ($50/month) plus electric; water, car ins for my stepfather; food and all the extra supplies he needs since he is totally bed ridden. he must wear incontinence briefs, have zinc ointment to try to prevent bed sores; medications because she also has a 2 heart conditions and right now we are fighting C Diff; a terrible bacteria from having to wear briefs. I clean her with soap and water and fight it night and day but my step father and I are getting wore out trying to do this all on our own. I'm just overwhelmed; I'm sorry for ranting. Its just so sad to me that as sick as he is; they will probably lose their home and then I don't know what will happen to them. And the worse part is that my father could walk again; he could get so much better if only there was help out there to get her real therapy. When he was at Oceanview in New Symrna; they gave her therapy 2 times a day 5 days a week and once on Sat's and he rested on Sun. All the in home medical professionals that were covered for only 3 visits believe Dad has just given up because they are not with her all the time. I talked with the social worker at the hospital this last time and even he understood; its not that Mom wants to die; its just that its so much easier when its family to let us do everything for her; than it is for her to work at it and he can only get that kind of help from an outside source. I would be thankful if we could just get help with her incontinence briefs; no rinse hygiene products.....anything that will lessen the financial burden that costs so much extra and is taking away from the money they do get from their Social Security check and has now added up so much they are so behind and soon they will lose their home if I can't find help. Please tell me there are grants or donations or special organizations somewhere that help people to get medical care that Medicare/Aetna won't cover and that the patient can't afford to pay for. Any kind of help would be so greatly; greatly appreciated; even if its just for supplies. I wish the companies that evaluate her income would consider me as a dependent because like I said; my Mom needs 24/7 care and I can't go out and find work because they can't pay someone to do it. Please email me back if you think there is ANYTHING out there. Once you do; and if you think there is help somewhere; I will give you my number to get ahold of us. We have bill collectors calling all the time from hospitals; and regular home bills. Thank you so much for any help you may be able to get for my Mom. he's a strong woman and the longer he lays in a bed without therapy; the faster her muscles will completely break down and then he will never walk again or get better. Thank you again
Annies Emerald

Post by Annies Emerald »

I did not receive my SSI check and I depend on this. Someone called Social Security and changed my account and profile info. My mortgage is due, my lights, my water are unpaid and I have never been late before. I am past due and late charges are incurring in addition. I need social security to be honest. I need help ASAP.
Handy1

Post by Handy1 »

I live in Branson, MO I am 45 years old and 100% disabled with 6 different health issues. I draw my late husbands social security check each month, of which is $931 a month. I only have like 8 bills a month I pay. What hurts is I pay $37 a month my co=pay for all my medications monthly after Humana (my insurance pays rest) Medicaid says I don't qualify and if want on Medicaid so they pay the co-pays , then I have to pay them $175 each month spend down, so can't do that. I am paying a credit bureau (on various hospital bills I have after Insurance paid their part) they get $25 a month. My monthly rent is $598 a month - includes all utilities except Electric and my electric costs me $164 a month. Rent & lights comes to $762 monthly. If you take that out of my $931 I get in social security on 3rd each month. It leaves me $169 a month to live on. I tried getting food stamps they gave me $37.00 a month to try to live on. I pay $15 co-pay every time I see my family doctor, which adds up with my visits. I already been at doctors 4 or 5 times this month. I can't move as no way to move my furniture and I am not allowed to lift over 15 lbs per family doctor. Plus most places don't pay all utilities except lights, that’s why I moved here. When I used to apply for apartments based on ones income, I was told I am UNDER QUALIFIED. While my rent would be lower, I still wouldn't have enough left over after rent to pay all my utilities as no utilities included. So I can't even get in place based on income. I have almost had my lights shut off. My doctor and I learned even you Io have a oxygen machine I have to use at night, that doesn't keep my lights on. I have nobody but me and every month worry I will have no electric. There has to be some place people can go and get help monthly paying their light bill, or rent or something? Don't say CAM, or Salvation Army, or local Churches or any of the assistance programs in Branson. I have been to them before and always told get money first of year and gone quickly. I am searching Internet and seen a program called LIHEAP and going out call them Monday. Problem, is I need help every month. I can almost pay all my bills, minus leaves not much for food. I could make it on my own, if I didn't have a electric bill each month with Empire electric. I doubt if you can help, but I am grasping at straws.
Heremeroad

Post by Heremeroad »

I reside in Jemison Alabama out of Chilton County. I am in need of help before my children and I are homeless. I am currently waiting on Social Security / SSI and currently receive AFDC and food stamps and tried to going the jobs program but they said they didn't believe I could work and would try to help get a jump on the SSI. They have instructed me to pay 1303.00 to make my rent current by the 5th if not have to move by the 8th!! I do have 245.00 coming in on the 5th from AFDC which is how I have been paying my rent a little at a time!!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

That is an extensive number of needs, and disability payments from SSDI will not nearly cover them. However we do have extensive information on a wide range of financial aid for the disabled, including utility disconnection prevention, how advocates can help, medical care, and more. Most of these are government programs, but there are also some non-profits mixed in. It is worth a shot anyway to try to get some additional assistance. There details are here. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... stanc.html
SteveKerr

Post by SteveKerr »

I'm a single mother with disabilities. I have two children a daughter and a son my son also has disabilities. I'm very low income (only get SSDI) and get no help at all. I don't really know what I should be putting in this email other then I NEED HELP in several different areas and I don't know where to go for help. So whoever gets this email please contact me ASAP. Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are different agencies in Colorado that help the disabled. If you have several needs, you may want to reach out to them for advice. Maybe there are other financial aid programs you can apply to, in addition to SSDI. So call around, and in the meantime, read more disability assistance in Colorado.