Chicago Illinois Assistance

State and local government assistance programs.
wendimoore81

Chicago Illinois Assistance

Post by wendimoore81 »

How can I get help with rent, bills, heating bills, and utilities in Chicago. I have recently lost my job, my 401K is wiped out, and things are tough right now. I do think some companies may finally start hiring in Chicago, but I need some short term help. please amil me Thank you
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Chicago Illinois Assistance

Post by Admin »

Most utility companies in Chicago offer the Good Samaritan Initiative to help with utiltiy bills, and the City of chicago also offers the City Of Chicago Emergency Housing Assistance Program to provide rent help and free home repairs.
C14

Post by C14 »

I am located in Illinois and I am trying to find resources to help me out. I have one child who will be one in June and I am expecting another one in early October. I currently work as a cashier but it is taking a strong toll on my so I have to find another way to earn money. I know that the interviews I have been on have been good, except the fact that I am pregnant. I am looking for a good job to work and I need housing assistance and cash assistance the most.
Aaron1

Post by Aaron1 »

Good afternoon,
I'm not sure I've reached the right person to answer my question ..... A friend of mine mine lives in Chicago. She is currently on long-term disability, and her place of employment never filed her paperwork to receive her money. Therefore, she is facing eviction at her home, which is a duplex, and does not know what to do. Her doctor who filed the disability for her is trying to contact the insurance company and her employer to expedite the processing of her paperwork. She suffered a car accident about one week ago, and is still suffering nausea and dizziness from the resulting crash. Financially, I am unable to help her at this time, but I'm trying to find someone to assist her in paying her rent. She lives in Chicago, IL 60642. If you can provide some information or insight on to any help she could receive, I'd be very grateful!
Thank you,
Colleen

Post by Colleen »

Hello-
As I was laid off my Job 11/2012, actively seeking employment since in Chicago (nothing yet)- trying to keep my chin up. I live with my 24 year old daughter (working part time) and my 18 year old Bipolar daughter. Unable to work and a stressful situation on it's own :(
So behind on my utilities, and Just paid October rent. I will not have the means to pay February's rent.
Went down to apply for financial help today, hoping to get expedited food stamps (No)- and because I get a small amount of child support - which they told me I'm not supposed to use, although Unemployment was cut 11/1/14... May be a while if I should be approved for Temporary Assistance (which would amount to about $200 a month - rent, I'm here since 2009 is $1,306 per month. Seeking lower rental - which is impossible - honestly, don't know what to do- no one to borrow from either.
I'm losing sleep, weight, and a total mess.. Any suggestions or help out there?
Hoping for any reply - Thank you.
Sincerely,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We do have many resources focused on the Chicago area. We doubt you will be able to find (and move into) an apartment with a lower rental in a matter of weeks, but keep searching. As that may be a mid-long term solutions. Also look into disability for the 18 year old, contact job centers, and seeking other financial aid in Chicago by using this resource. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... tance.html

Colleen wrote:Hello-
As I was laid off my Job 11/2012, actively seeking employment since in Chicago (nothing yet)- trying to keep my chin up. I live with my 24 year old daughter (working part time) and my 18 year old Bipolar daughter. Unable to work and a stressful situation on it's own :(
So behind on my utilities, and Just paid October rent. I will not have the means to pay February's rent.
Went down to apply for financial help today, hoping to get expedited food stamps (No)- and because I get a small amount of child support - which they told me I'm not supposed to use, although Unemployment was cut 11/1/14... May be a while if I should be approved for Temporary Assistance (which would amount to about $200 a month - rent, I'm here since 2009 is $1,306 per month. Seeking lower rental - which is impossible - honestly, don't know what to do- no one to borrow from either.
I'm losing sleep, weight, and a total mess.. Any suggestions or help out there?
Hoping for any reply - Thank you.
Sincerely,