Illegal water bill from utility company

State and local government assistance programs.
HomerDer
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Illegal water bill from utility company

Post by HomerDer »

Hello! I need to ask a question. Last year between November and December. The DWP sent out a bill stating we owe them $2500.00. My mom contact them. She thought that she has been paying the bill and why was the bill was so high. The lady told her that when before the meter man had came out to read the meter in Nov. or Dec. that the water meter hasn't been read in a year since 2009. My mom told her it's not her fault that the meter man they've been sending out was to lazy to get on thier knees and move the dirt to read the meter. The meter is on city property. The lady gave my mom the name and number to the last meter man that read it in 09. They told her she had to pay the bill due to the fact that the water has been used. Which I also believe it's unfair because it's their fault. We have to pay that bill plus the previous bill. We are a low income family and barely making it. My mom works as a supervision aide for Aurora Elementary and she's about to be out for the summer. Is their any body we can talk to about this situation. We stay in Los Angeles. Thank You for taking time out to read this.
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Illegal water bill from utility company

Post by Admin »

If you think the water bill is incorrect, or maybe illegal, then contest it. If you can't get the water company to work with you in the LA area, then contact an attorney, or small claims court. There are some attorneys and lawyers that offer pro-bono (free legal aid) in Los Angeles. A listing of California free legal aid programs and firms include those here. For example, try places like the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) which can be called at (213) 640-3881. Another option may be Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles County, and they have a toll free legal hotline of 800-433-6251
HomerDer wrote:Hello! I need to ask a question. Last year between November and December. The DWP sent out a bill stating we owe them $2500.00. My mom contact them. She thought that she has been paying the bill and why was the bill was so high. The lady told her that when before the meter man had came out to read the meter in Nov. or Dec. that the water meter hasn't been read in a year since 2009. My mom told her it's not her fault that the meter man they've been sending out was to lazy to get on thier knees and move the dirt to read the meter. The meter is on city property. The lady gave my mom the name and number to the last meter man that read it in 09. They told her she had to pay the bill due to the fact that the water has been used. Which I also believe it's unfair because it's their fault. We have to pay that bill plus the previous bill. We are a low income family and barely making it. My mom works as a supervision aide for Aurora Elementary and she's about to be out for the summer. Is their any body we can talk to about this situation. We stay in Los Angeles. Thank You for taking time out to read this.