SSD not enough!

State and local government assistance programs.
terrorcat1
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

SSD not enough!

Post by terrorcat1 »

I am a disabled female living in NJ. I get Social Security Disability, and additional help with utilities, and food, but no help with rent. And no SSD increase in 3 years as we all know. I am on the list for Section 8, but in the mean time I can't afford to pay my rent and live. I live in an old mobile home badly in need of repair and no money to make the repairs. Any ideas for rental assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: SSD not enough!

Post by Admin »

What county or city in New Jersey? Without knowing that I can't provide specifics. However go ahead and pick your county from the list on this page for programs and charities. They can often provide help with expenses such as utilities, free food, rent, debt counseling, and much more. Those who get Social Security Disability or are disabled are usually on the top of the list for help.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/new ... grams.html
terrorcat1 wrote:I am a disabled female living in NJ. I get Social Security Disability, and additional help with utilities, and food, but no help with rent. And no SSD increase in 3 years as we all know. I am on the list for Section 8, but in the mean time I can't afford to pay my rent and live. I live in an old mobile home badly in need of repair and no money to make the repairs. Any ideas for rental assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
Francine12

Post by Francine12 »

a brittle diabetic on social security disability and my husband has been out of work for eight months. We have two special needs children and have been borrowing from family and using our credit cards in order to pay bills and buy food. We have maxed out our credit cards and do not want to ask family members to lend us anymore money.
We need any help available, to pay our mortgage, utility bills, insurance, or to buy medical supplies and my insulin. Our 16 year old son is not completely toilet trained and required adult good nights and wipes to be adequately cleaned and we are finding it difficult to keep up with his needs as well. Please let us know if there is anything you can do to assist us. It would be greatly appreciated.
TrakP1

Post by TrakP1 »

I am on Social Security Disability (SSD), and my husband is a school bus driver. Our budget is hand to mouth on a good day - and worse over the summer when he doesn't work his regular hours. Recently, my husband had to have extensive oral procedures - over $4,200 went on a new credit card, and $1,285 went on a second new credit card. Our car died, so we had to be a new (used) one, so we now have a car payment. Our water heater died and flooded our basement and we had to buy a new one ($850). My husband also just had skin cancer removed, and his health insurance has a $2,000 deductible - which means we now have to pay $713 out-of-pocket to the doctor and the pathology lab. We are overwhelmed and discouraged. Is any of this something you folks can help us with? Thanks.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, that is a lot of bills to soundly hit. But SSD was never intended to provide for all of a disabled persons needs. Did you try a charity clinic in Alabama for the oral surgery, or try to fix the water heater? There are probably many things you could have done first. But also maybe try a disability assistance program in Alabama for more support.
Barby

Post by Barby »

Dear Sir/Madam:
I found this email address on a website concerning how to seek our financial assistance for lower income households, so I’m inquiring on behalf of someone else who is on SSD now but struggling.
My sister, Patricia, resides in Barry County, Missouri, and might qualify for some financial assistance in paying rent and medical bills. Her husband had a heart transplant many years ago and is on SSD, but it is not enough. The financial impact of the related medical costs coupled with the fact that her husband could not work much after the transplant has put them in a very awkward financial position.  They refused to file for bankruptcy and have a huge medical debt on which they pay a tiny amount each month. To the best of my knowledge, there was no IRA for them to rely.  If there was ever any retirement nest egg, the funds were used a long time back.
My sister has been reluctant to pursue getting financial assistance, thinking they do not qualify for anything. She and my brother-in-law are both drawing SSD, and they live is a very run-down house (over 100 years old), paying $300/month rent. From what I’m told by my nephew, the house in in bad condition--so bad that his opinion is that the rent is overstated for what they are getting.
I think their combined monthly income is around $3,500.00, but I’m unsure about the exact amount.  Because of the heart transplant-related drugs, they spend quite a bit on that each month above what is covered by his Part D Medicare insurance.  My sister is now having some medical issues; therefore, the monthly expenses are more than usual.  I discovered that my sister did not get any supplemental Part B or Part D insurance when starting Medicare a few years back because she “couldn’t afford the extra premiums.”
The fact is that my sister and brother-in-law are living in conditions that are jeopardizing their health, and they need some assistance other than SSD desperately. I send what I can to her from time to time, but that isn’t much.  I’m better off than them, but still far from rich.
Please let me know any contacts you have for available financial assistance programs in Barry County, Missouri, and I will pass along the information to her. I’ve included my phone number below if someone wishes to contact me by phone to discuss the issue.
Hope to hear from you soon. Happy Holidays!