Income slightly to high for assistance programs

State and local government assistance programs.
Redcolor
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Income slightly to high for assistance programs

Post by Redcolor »

Hello, I have tried contacting most of these organizations and charities, and government programs, but can get no one to help me because I do have a job and apparantly slightly above the median income range for my household. So what do people who make just a little too much suppose to do, even though I am struggling too? I am just getting back on my feet with a job and a place to stay for my children but i have two old utility bills that I can not pay, please help me. I live in Kansas City Missouri
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Income slightly to high for assistance programs

Post by Admin »

I think Kansas City covers more than one county. Doesn't it? I have provided the links for Jackson County Missouri, which lists charities and organizations that cover that part of Kansas City. There is info on non-profits and charities like Catholic Charities of Kansas City, and their phone number is (816) 221-4377. Redemptorist Social Services Center is another agency. Phone (816) 931-9942. More are listed here.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... prog3.html
These places may have funds for paying rent, heating and utility bills, debt counseling, and other financial support and assistance programs. Income levels are tough, as you are right low income do get more access to aid. Usually funding is limited, but call and ask, and use the link to find other places to call for help. Someone should be able to guide you.

Redcolor wrote:Hello, I have tried contacting most of these organizations and charities, and government programs, but can get no one to help me because I do have a job and apparantly slightly above the median income range for my household. So what do people who make just a little too much suppose to do, even though I am struggling too? I am just getting back on my feet with a job and a place to stay for my children but i have two old utility bills that I can not pay, please help me. I live in Kansas City Missouri
cat1

Post by cat1 »

We have had just a bad stream of luck these past 2 years. Just seems like when you pick up one pile of apples another batch falls. My family is struggling to eat and keep a roof over our heads. We live in a small area and our county doesnt offer alot of assistant programs. My husbands gross income is over the limit but his net pay is just barely getting us by. I myself have been trying to find a long term job but compnys just wont hire full time or long term here. We are in a big need of help. Im sure other families are just as in need. Im just trying to find any resources I can right now. Please if you have any helpful information for me Id love to know! I live in Hamilton Ohio. Thanks again
vmaldonado

Post by vmaldonado »

I am having the same issue as well. It seems like it's easier to just stay jobless and receive aid. I personally would rather work. I am about $80 from receiving help. I am just outside of the household median of getting assitance I am a single mother with two children and finding help with my electricity is next to impossible. I live in Albuquerque, NM. My bills during the summer were ridiculous. They went from around $100 to the highest being $320! Mind you this is a 900 square foot apartment. I have no idea why these bills were so high. The electric company and the apartment complex are blaming eachother and meanwile I am getting shut off notices. I have tried catholic charities, St. Vincent De Paul, and LIHEAP. Some of the charities helped with some of the bill and I flat out do not qualify for the rest. This is very frustrating. Cut off is scheduled for 01/10/2011. I cannot pay this. Please help
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

It is tough when your income is a little too high. There may be some relief programs for those summer utility bills, but once again they are income dependent. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... tance.html is a link for many assistance programs in Albuquerque New Mexico and San Bernalillo.
You can call places like Noon Day Ministry (phone number (505) 246-8001) as well as the Albuquerque Salvation Army (505) 872-1171. You just will need to tell them your story, and see what they say. I would think if you have a shut off notice they may be able to help, regardless of income.
vmaldonado wrote:I am having the same issue as well. It seems like it's easier to just stay jobless and receive aid. I personally would rather work. I am about $80 from receiving help. I am just outside of the household median of getting assitance I am a single mother with two children and finding help with my electricity is next to impossible. I live in Albuquerque, NM. My bills during the summer were ridiculous. They went from around $100 to the highest being $320! Mind you this is a 900 square foot apartment. I have no idea why these bills were so high. The electric company and the apartment complex are blaming eachother and meanwile I am getting shut off notices. I have tried catholic charities, St. Vincent De Paul, and LIHEAP. Some of the charities helped with some of the bill and I flat out do not qualify for the rest. This is very frustrating. Cut off is scheduled for 01/10/2011. I cannot pay this. Please help
List10

Post by List10 »

I live in Illinois and I am having a really hard time paying my bills and buying groceries. I filed for SSDI back in 2003 and it took until 2005 to get it. During that time, my husband and I had to file for bankruptcy because my medical bills were
not going away. I could not work at all and I could not find any assistance. Still, after filing, the bills kept mounting for the remainder of the almost 3 years. We had to file the other bankruptcy. We are paying back the debts the court deemed
payable by us. This is causing an extreme hardship on us. Some months I do not have enough left to pay for medication. We have insurance but paying copays is getting out of hand also. This month we do not have enough to pay our electric bill. We are two months behind and we need some help. The hardship is because when a person files their taxes at the end of the year, all assistance programs mostly require the same proof of income; a person’s personal income tax form that was filed. When we file, we have to claim my husbands entire income, not the income after paying back the bankruptcy. This is the same as lying on your tax form. The figures are not at all accurate. Also, everyone wants you to state the “before tax” amount and this too is cheating. It is cheating us, the people of the United States. States, local and federal agencies set these taxes and we have no choice but to pay them. They make us pay taxes when we work, we pay taxes when we buy gasoline, we pay taxes when we shop and they are taxing us to death. I forgot to mention the taxes for cell phones, internet use, landline phones, cable and real estate taxes. Use tax and home rule tax are hurting each and every American (except the politicians). My husband and I are not bad people. It is not my pleasure to be sick every day of my life. I have fibromyalgia, depression, and back and neck degenerative disc disease. I spend a lot of money on medical things. Nothing really helps, but it is better than not taking anything. It is coming to the point at which a decision will have to be made; bills, taxes, medical, or food. Please try to do something to help us. Please.
Sadir

Post by Sadir »

I am looking for help for someone who just lost her job. If her phone gets disconnected, I can be reached. She is a single mother of a 9 year old girl. She worked very hard this summer to be able to rent her own apartment so that she and her daughter could move out of a less than desirable situation at her mother's apartment. They had one room for the two of them and their constant disagreements and tension.

Her daughter was negatively affected by the stressful situation they were in. Her daughter who had been doing poorly in school, is now a happy little girl doing terrific in school. Having their own apartment was a struggle for them, but it has made a world of difference in a precious girl's life. With the lose of her job and income she will not have the rent to keep this apartment she worked so hard to get.

They are living month to month with careful budgeting. I am hoping that someone can get them some help with rent. She also has not been able to buy gifts for Christmas for her daughter and would be very appreciative if she can get some help with giving her daughter something for Christmas. Thank you so much for any help that anyone can give her.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Some of the community action agencies in Illinois, including the one in Cook County, may offer help to more moderate income families, so try them. It also sounds like you need some debt and credit counseling, so look into those options and services too, as they may assist with medical debts.
As a side note, the staff at the community action agency will always say bankruptcy is a last resort, and look for other assistance first. They are correct in that approach, and here is more details. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... velop.html
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

I am a single mom of 5 young children, but we are just over being low income. Three are starting school this next week coming up. However, I chose to go back to school myself to get a carrier to better our life. I have public assistance and can only make my rent, car, and bill payments. I would only be asking for a little help for my children who need uniforms and school supplies for school, even though we do have an income. Thank you for your time.
AndyS

Post by AndyS »

Hi- My name is Abby.  I have two children with disabilities (just turned 3 years old and 1 year old) and our old income is too high to get help from the government or charities, but our situation changed.  My kids and I have had some unforeseen financial circumstances come our way.  My children's dad was the sole breadwinner and I stayed home as the required legal guardian with my two children while they have 60+ hours each a week of medical therapy.  He unexpectedly stopped any financial means to us, those are income went down.
  We were evicted from our home, and literally left without any source of funding.  Everything financially was in his hands.  I have been scrambling around for days trying to secure a home, school tuition, insurance premium, and food, everything you can possibly imagine--selling off anything and everything in order to keep the stability in my children's lives.  Because my kids have medical disabilities; we have strict requirements on a housing situation.  Neither of them have any means of communication and are both considered flight risks so things like we need a garage so I can bring one in quickly so the other doesn't wander off, all on one floor because of the safety risk of them being on the stairs, and that we have to be a good major distance from a major road. 
After being turned down for various housing situations as our income was slightly high; I was finally able to find a landlord willing to give me a shot on what is a stable and secure home for my children and myself and a place they can both receive their daily therapy.  I have sold off my personal belongings and exhausted every financial source I know and am in desperate need of assistance for the security deposit and moving expenses for this Saturday, August 6th, 2020.  I have never had to ask for anything of this nature in my life.  This has truly been the most horrifying, nightmare-- I could have never imagined.  I am so embarrassed and disappointed in myself for trusting someone so much-- I should have been more intelligent then to allow this to happen.  My children's dad has been awful to us since this entire situation occurred- arguing and avoiding everything he can.  I would be forever grateful if you could please guide us to an agency or service that could quickly assist us in starting our lives over even though our income has been a little too high in the past for assistance-- help us regain self-sufficiency so this terrible experience can be a distant life memory for us.  My children and I are so broken right now and we please need a little help in this crisis situation.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi Abby,
Sorry to hear about the income restrictions, your benefit issues, etc. But there are resources when food stamps are cut. As we have tips and suggestions on how to re-apply, factor in income and other options.
AndyS wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:50 am Hi- My name is Abby.  I have two children with disabilities (just turned 3 years old and 1 year old) and our old income is too high to get help from the government or charities, but our situation changed.