Resources for a Korean War Vet

State and local government assistance programs.
Callie
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Resources for a Korean War Vet

Post by Callie »

Is there an application or do we qualify?
My husband is a Korean War Veteran, age 85 in October who does not want to leave his home.  
 We are struggling financially to stay in our home.  As the end of the year approaches, I find I am running to a cash shortfall for year end expenses (taxes, mortgage, mounting credit debt) and to avoid any bank action down the road, is why I am looking ahead for help.  If I could get help with two mortgage payments and/or "health care payment" that would help with shortfall this year.
  In brief, and grasping at straws, life just happens - you do not allow nor want it to happen, and work to fix it the best you know how.   As a wife, I have done all I know how to do at this point.   Over the years we both had low paying jobs, and losses after long term employments, no health insurance after jobs, mounting medical /dental bills, lived on monies from those menial job retirement funds, worked at temp jobs and begged them to keep us until 65 when Social Security kicked in.  No retirement funds.  When you are short of food (hungry), gas, medications, heating fuel, you must use credit.  Food stamp allotment is small and fuel asset does not cover all for cold winters in NH.  Churches have helped some with food and clothing.
 Yes, it has been and still is VERY challenging and I am doing all I know how to do and sustain our life and Henry's next month at 85. He deserves that much as a husband, and Veteran.  He did not retire from the U.S. Navy he just served his time (4+2 years) and his Country.
Very Sincerely,
Merrimack, NH
Jade

Re: Resources for a Korean War Vet

Post by Jade »

I found this email address on the Salvation Army's web page after being referred by my mortgage company for Korean War vet resources. I am 2 months behind on my mortgage due to financial hardship which was caused by Covid related unpaid leave and also becoming a 1 income household when my partner passed. I currently have a stable job as a Korean war vet but need help making ends meet. I live in Calvert County, Maryland.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Resources for a Korean War Vet

Post by Admin »

Have you heard about the Veteran Advantage discount program? It can, maybe, help you make ends meet. Housing, discounts, financial aid, and more more may be offered, including to Korean War vets. Learn more on the Veteran Advantage Program.
Jade wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:34 am I currently have a stable job as a Korean war vet but need help making ends meet. I live in Calvert County, Maryland.