Human Services Medicaid says no hearing aid help

Find free or discounted health care, including prescription drugs and more.
Ksmith
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Human Services Medicaid says no hearing aid help

Post by Ksmith »

Dear Sir,
I am 58 years old, disabled, and on Arkansas S.S.I.  I have Arkansas Medicaid only as my health insurance.
I have had a hearing test by a licensed audiologist and was found to have moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears.
I have researched hearing aids, their abilities and pricing. I have found the best product for the money spent, and at a considerably lower price than the local market. Whereas most hearing aids from hearing aid centers sell in a range from four to six thousand dollars. I have found a pair of state-of-the-art hearing aids "Kirkland Signature 9.0" from COSTCO. They come complete with testing, configuration/programing, and follow up care for a total of fifteen hundred dollars. Yet they might as well be $10,000.00 since I don’t have the money.
In my attempt to find assistance for the hearing aid, I have contacted Arkansas Medicaid, Arkansas Department of Human Services, The Arkansas Health Department, and The Social Security Office. I found no help, nor any leads as to where to apply for assistance.
I am seeking a grant, supplement, or financing. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Human Services Medicaid says no hearing aid help

Post by Admin »

If all you have is Medicaid in Arkansas, then you may look into other state programs. As there are many. Now whether they pay for hearing aid or not, we don't know. You will need to call around.
Also paying six thousand dollars for a hearing aid from a "center" is way too high. You can get them for much less money, even from stores such as Costco. Anyhow, look here for uninsured medical care programs in Arkansas.
Ksmith wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:58 pm Dear Sir,
I am 58 years old, disabled, and on Arkansas S.S.I.  I have Arkansas Medicaid only as my health insurance.
I have had a hearing test by a licensed audiologist and was found to have moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears.
I have researched hearing aids, their abilities and pricing. I have found the best product for the money spent, and at a considerably lower price than the local market. Whereas most hearing aids from hearing aid centers sell in a range from four to six thousand dollars. I have found a pair of state-of-the-art hearing aids "Kirkland Signature 9.0" from COSTCO. They come complete with testing, configuration/programing, and follow up care for a total of fifteen hundred dollars. Yet they might as well be $10,000.00 since I don’t have the money.
In my attempt to find assistance for the hearing aid, I have contacted Arkansas Medicaid, Arkansas Department of Human Services, The Arkansas Health Department, and The Social Security Office. I found no help, nor any leads as to where to apply for assistance.
I am seeking a grant, supplement, or financing. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Mr. Seltzer

Post by Mr. Seltzer »

My name is Lisa. I have a 14 year old son and my husband Chris who is on disability due to a serious trauma to his head. He needs a hearing aid but Medicaid says no. He had brain surgery and now has seizures. I'm his caregiver. His disability check pays our bills and not much more. He tried to get a part time job delivering pizza and got in an accident his third week of work and totaled the truck. We are in dire need of help with our Com Ed bill and a hearing aid from Medicaid or Human Services.

The balance is about 2400. If we agreed to the payment plan plus what our monthly bill would be that would be over 400 taking our grocery money. I came upon this because my sone can't hear and was looking for hearing aids. I wasn't sure what to even say. If you could help us in any way it would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon. Lisa..
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

For better or worse, Medicaid rules are mostly set by states. Hearing aid coverage varies, though more benefits are offered now then ever before. With "general" guidelines from the federal government. As Medicaid is a combination of state/federal benefit. But there are also other options, and look here for free non-profit hearing aid programs. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... ogram.html