Metastatic breast cancer treatment

Find free or discounted health care, including prescription drugs and more.
LittleBigTown
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Metastatic breast cancer treatment

Post by LittleBigTown »

Good morning,
I am a 36 year old mother of four children under the age of 10 from Jacksonville, FL that woke up on January 25, 2019 with a hard and swollen breast. After having my annual exam two days before, my GYN office thought it was nothing more than a swollen gland. The next day, I called and asked for an appointment to see my GYN, who did an ultrasound and started me on antibiotics for Mastitis.
Fast forward through a mammogram (negative for cancer), three ultrasounds (negative for any concerns), and 7 rounds of antibiotics, my breast was beginning to bruise. When my lower back began to hurt so badly I could not move, the breast surgeon, who also thought I had Mastitis, decided finally to do a biopsy on March 10, 2019. Finally, and sadly, I was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer (IBC). I decided to leave Baptist and go to Mayo for treatment where I had a PET scan revealing that the cancer had spread to four places on my bones, one of which was causing the extreme pain. I was diagnosed with Metastatic (Stage 4) breast cancer and given 2.5 years to live. I began with a biopsy of my bone with a drill directly into my pelvis.
Then, I had 10 days of radiation to that one area on my bone and began an infusion of Herceptin and Perjeta (I am HER2+). Then, after radiation, the chemo drug Taxotere was included in my triweekly infusions for 8 rounds for the Metastatic stage 4.
After 8 rounds, I now am on only Herceptin and a Perjeta for the rest of my life or until they stop working. I've decided against surgery because I am Stage 4.
My body has been through so much with all the biopsies, the 8 rounds of chemo, and currently, the every three week infusion of Herceptin and Perjeta ($30,000 for both) for the rest of my life or until they stop working. This year has been extremely difficult financially (over $300,000 in bills (I have an 80/20 insurance policy)). Our home is about to be in foreclosure because treatment is more important at this time. My husband and I do not make enough money to pay our bills any longer because of all the time we have to take off. This Metastatic breast cancer was much unexpected and I am still in shock. My kids and family are not taking this very well. Everyone is in therapy because they all think I am going to die. Most days I can't get out of bed due to the side effects of the chemo and that saddens them. They miss me. I miss myself. I am angry and sad and scared to die. I have a Master's of Science in Criminology and had a bright future ahead of me. Now I worry about my health and insurance and finances and normalcy for our family. I miss my old self. I miss life. I need help emotionally and financially. This is so tough to write. Can you help? Anything will help.
FeliciaJackson
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Metastatic breast cancer treatment

Post by FeliciaJackson »

My name is Stephanie and I live in walker county and i have breast cancer. I recently lost my job due to be a temporary worker. The family I do have helped with my utilities for this month but my rent. I was looking to see if there is any assistance with helping me with that. My landlord is giving me until tomorrow at 5 to move if I don’t have it. So, can you let me know if there is anyone I can contact or what program can I go threw to get this done? Maybe a program to help someone with Metastatic breast cancer treatment? Thank you in advance