Need to travel for cancer treatment

Find free or discounted health care, including prescription drugs and more.
Colleen
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Need to travel for cancer treatment

Post by Colleen »

Hi,
I was diagnosed with stage 4 thyroid cancer in December of 2017. I have had radiation and two surgeries since then but it has come back a third time. At the time my daughter who was five was battling epilepsy without 270 plus seizures a day she was a patient at chop in Philly and unfortunately was only getting worse not better. We need medical travel help. This is when we turn to Boston Children's Hospital and she became an epilepsy surgery candidate. Her left frontal lobe resection surgery was performed last year on June 7th; it literally saved her life. And subsequently ours in the months before her surgery was when I underwent my radical neck dissection and it was found that the cancer had progressed farther than originally thought. I had to have a second surgery and then a bout of radiation last October. It is now back again and I went for a second opinion in Boston at the Dana-Farber Cancer Center and they want to schedule another surgery this end of this June. However the travel to and from Boston for all of our daughters appointments post-surgical testing’s and her visits with her neurologist and now on top of this my visits to Boston and the Cancer Treatment Center in Philly have completely financially wiped us.
I am writing this in hopes that there is any type of organization for financial assistance for our mortgage and electric as well as other cancer help. We are three days from having our electric shut off and as of June 1st we will unfortunately be 3 months behind in our mortgage. This was never the norm for us but when our daughter was first diagnosed with epilepsy and uncontrollable seizures we went through all money we had saved trying to find any type of treatment to help her. Most of it was out of pocket and not covered by insurance. If there is anything or anyone you can point me too for travel to doctor and cancer appointments I would very much appreciate it. The overwhelming stress of this is unbelievable. Our children are seven and 4 and they cannot lose their home on top of it me worrying about them losing their mother. Sorry for the long email and thank you if you read the entire thing. I appreciate it and been quite a tough few years. I hope to hear back from you soon.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Need to travel for cancer treatment

Post by Admin »

There are various national non-profits as well as government health care programs. Try Life Beyond Cancer as but one option. They can help patients with Thyroid Cancer. They may pay for some travel too. Other places may pay a little towards medical travel, or try a fund raiser campaign.
Colleen wrote:Hi,
I was diagnosed with stage 4 thyroid cancer in December of 2017. I have had radiation and two surgeries since then but it has come back a third time. At the time my daughter who was five was battling epilepsy without 270 plus seizures a day she was a patient at chop in Philly and unfortunately was only getting worse not better. We need medical travel help.
tiyoshi
anti spam: Blue

Re: Need to travel for cancer treatment

Post by tiyoshi »

I Am a pregnant single mother who recently divorced my abuser and now my child has cancer. We need to travel to a distant hospital.
I was laid off from my job and am facing eviction for Arrears rent and also need money to pay for the travel and cancer treatment.
I have applied and obtained unemployment but need Assistance with arrears rent and medical.
Any resources would be greatly appreciated. Our address is Baltimore MD 21215.