Can't get health insurance with SSI disability

Find free or discounted health care, including prescription drugs and more.
Be White
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Can't get health insurance with SSI disability

Post by Be White »

Both my husband and I are disabled. My husband has Frederick Ataxia. Over the last year the ataxia has really taken control of his body. He has been in a lot of pain. He is holding off as long as he can because right now he doesn't have insurance.
We are working with an amazing councilor at the ADRC to get insurance back for him. I have a 12 year old son from a previous marriage. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment that is supposed to be something called section 42. Which we were lied to about the cost of rent. Thinking it would be $722 a month, but during the lease signing 4 days before move in, the property manager told me $890. With nowhere else to live, I had to agree to it. Now we are up for Lease renewal and all these extras will be added to our rent. $25 extra for underground parking, $25 for storage and $15 extra a month for our dog. All of this together is $955 a month.
Since my husband and I are unable to work we live on SSDI. I just don't understand how they can do this to us! Everyone in the complex is either disabled or on low income and most lack health insurance. Everything that falls apart in the unit we have to pay to have repaired. I take care of our finances and I just don't know how we can make it with these kinds of prices. I'm worried about paying rent every month, putting food on the table and with Christmas coming up, I don't know how I will be able to get much of anything for my son!! I hate to do this, but I need some help please!
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Can't get health insurance with SSI disability

Post by Admin »

There are government and charity health insurance plans, many of which are free. Find them here.
https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... rance.html
Most are income based - if your income is low enough you can get insured. It does not matter if you are on SSI or not.