Housing for serious medical issue

Find free or discounted health care, including prescription drugs and more.
Kevin L
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Housing for serious medical issue

Post by Kevin L »

My wife and I came to Reno o that we could get her on the liver transplant list through the University of Utah Hospital. She has stage 4 non-alcohol related cirrhosis (liver disease). She's had five surgical procedures since 3/14/12 at Reno Regional Hospital and spent over five weeks in their ICU. The remainder of the time is spent at Healthsouth Rehabilitation hospital in Las Vegas. This is where we are at the present.
Her Surgeon is certain she will be placed on the liver transplant list. He tells us that we need to remain in the Reno area until her condition is resolved by a liver transplant or by death.
We own a small piece of property and have lived there for 10 years. Other than a small cash retirement totaling $340 per month, our income is through Social Security, with my wife being on SS Disability. This brings us just under $2000 per month.
We need help finding and affording a small apartment (1-2 bedrooms) plus assistance with utilities for an indefinite period of time. The need is urgent right now as our living arrangements in the area are tenuous.
I am 58 and my wife is 54. I retired early from the USPS. After my insurance premiums are deducted, I receive $150 per month. This is included in the $340 figure quoted previously. We are both on Medicare.
Right now, we don't know where to turn for assistance being new to the area.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Housing for serious medical issue

Post by Admin »

Maybe the clinics in Nevada also know of where to apply at for financial aid for that small apartment you have. Or you can try national charities such as the Ronald McDonald House (but maybe they just help kids?). But anytime you ask for indefinite help in paying for an apartment that raises serious red flags. For example you say you retired from UPS, but you are still young enough the continue to work. So why don't you? Any clinic or non-profit in Nevada will want serious answers to questions like that before giving anyone one dollar. As why should they help "definitely" if you are unwilling to work? Anyway, find the Nevada community clinics to try for advice.
Kevin L wrote:My wife and I came to Reno o that we could get her on the liver transplant list through the University of Utah Hospital. She has stage 4 non-alcohol related cirrhosis (liver disease). She's had five surgical procedures since 3/14/12 at Reno Regional Hospital and spent over five weeks in their ICU. The remainder of the time is spent at Healthsouth Rehabilitation hospital in Las Vegas. This is where we are at the present.
Her Surgeon is certain she will be placed on the liver transplant list. He tells us that we need to remain in the Reno area until her condition is resolved by a liver transplant or by death.
We own a small piece of property and have lived there for 10 years. Other than a small cash retirement totaling $340 per month, our income is through Social Security, with my wife being on SS Disability. This brings us just under $2000 per month.
We need help finding and affording a small apartment (1-2 bedrooms) plus assistance with utilities for an indefinite period of time. The need is urgent right now as our living arrangements in the area are tenuous.
I am 58 and my wife is 54. I retired early from the USPS. After my insurance premiums are deducted, I receive $150 per month. This is included in the $340 figure quoted previously. We are both on Medicare.
Right now, we don't know where to turn for assistance being new to the area.
Freese1

Post by Freese1 »

I am in an urgent need for housing. My daughter and I both receive disability from a past medical issue. I have been told that I qualify for a program called rapid rehousing but they still have no funding or shelter placements. I was told to just find somewhere safe to sleep, at night with my children but it is extremely cold outside. I need emergency help. I have had to use our $ to pay for hotel rooms but when I run out of money we have to sleep outside. I cannot afford to pay all these application fees that are nonrefundable. Please help me or point me in the right direction.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are a number of disability housing programs out there. Some states offer them. There is of course HUD and their income subsidized options. Also, regional non-profits such as Catholic Charities or shared housing/supportive housing may all help the disabled too. Read more here. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... sable.html

Freese1 wrote:I am in an urgent need for housing. My daughter and I both receive disability from a past medical issue.