I don't have dental insurance

Find free or discounted health care, including prescription drugs and more.
McDaniels
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

I don't have dental insurance

Post by McDaniels »

I would like to know if there are any medical/dental options for me. I live in Oregon, am 42, unemployed, and desperately need dentures and medical help. Growing up my parents couldn’t afford to take me to dentist, when I got married my husband had insurance. So I went to dentist, they did as much work as was covered by insurance. Then stopped leaving some things unfinished. I never had insurance again after that 1 year. Until about 2 years ago was put on OHP. It started out great made dental appointments due to lots of pain, the dentist had me coming every week to pull a tooth that had to come out he said. He left me 5 on top and about 11 on bottom, was pulling them with planned dentures. When he realized i wasn’t employed they wouldn’t finance the dentures and the only thing OHP covered was pulling teeth. I also got a doctor. At a clinic through OHP, hadn’t been to a doctor. In 25 years other than an occasional ER visit, due to no insurance. I have worked since 18 years old as a maid and housekeeper so I have chronic back pain, feet so bad i can only wear slippers, my shoulders ache all the time. My right hand goes numb and burns with pain. My left knee has lump on the back of it and aches constantly. It started out good I thought, she sent me for x-rays, sent me to a knee spec. And foot doctor my insurance didn’t cover their services so wouldn’t treat me. So my insurance has done me no good. I moved from Houston Texas to Portland Oregon after received a note from OHP saying ER visits no longer covered and not being able to drive I went to an outreach clinic here. The doctor seemed like he was going to treat me and was concerned over my issues. He put me on pain and inflammation medications, and an anxiety medication, and wanted to see me again in 2 weeks. When I went to get prescription. I gave them my insurance card its the only good thing I received from my insurance. Well they wouldn’t except it due to me being seen at a free clinic so I said fine and paid for medications. Then I received a call from clinic saying wouldn’t see me again because I had insurance. The clinic was listed as being part of the hosp and I told her my insurance wouldn’t work there, she didn’t care, they wont see me and said my prescription that had a refill on them were no good. So the only place that the doctor really tried to help me won't see me. I have applied all over this town trying to get a job somewhere that I would be able to handle with no luck. I would love some info. On working from home, if given the opportunity I would work in exchange for medical and dental care. I pick up a housekeeping job here and there. I am not lazy, I have worked hard my whole life and am willing and wanting to now it just has to be something that I can go at my own pace and wear my slippers doing. I am in so much Pain, am embarrassed to talk or smile due to dental issues. The OHP insurance is doing me no good. If i can get the medical/dental help that I need it will much easier to look for work and I am so stressed out i really need to be put back on my anxiety medications. If you can help me at all I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you,
Prylosec

Re: I don't have dental insurance

Post by Prylosec »

September 24 I lost my job. My unemployment ran out in January. I started working in January (2 weeks after unemployment ran out) Making $9.00 / hour. My checking account $500 in the whole. Today, I sit with $40 in pocket. 2.5 weeks to next check...It will be $600, rent is $570 and water bill $20. So, than $10 left over for 2 weeks. Oh, by the way...I also have a molar tooth that requires a root canal. But no insurance, no money, just pain....What are my options?
Weather Kardishian

Post by Weather Kardishian »

Good morning. Let me begin by thanking you for your website--it's a great resource for lower income individuals and families, and I greatly appreciate your dedication to helping those in need.
I am a current AmeriCorps member in Mississippi. If you know anything about AmeriCorps, you know that our living stipend does not provide much additional income for emergencies. I am on no government assistance (e.g. food stamps), and so after rent, utilities, bank loan payments, and other costs, I have virtually nothing extra. It's a common story--people all over this city have it far worse. At least I can make ends meet.
However, this morning while I ate breakfast, a relatively large piece of one of my bottom molars broke off. I am uninsured, and as I've already stated, I have few resources to spare for dental work. I looked over your list of dental clinics, and even attempted to call a couple of them in the area, to no avail as of yet. Are there any other resources like yours except more localized--e.g., a directory you can point me to that specializes in connecting specifically Mississippi residents to free/low-cost services?
I need help! This is, at present, a relatively small problem, but with dental issues, they always--ALWAYS--get worse if they are not addressed immediately, and so I want to act quickly.
Jimmy_John_Smith

Post by Jimmy_John_Smith »

Both I and my husband need to be seen by a dentist. We do not have dental insurance. I have not been in at least six years and it has been closer to twenty years for my husband. I have Medicare and Maincare and my husband has Mainecare. Unfortunately, that doesn't help us.