Damon
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Medically unable to work behind on medical bills

Post by Damon »

Hello.
I am hoping you can help me out.
I have been medically unable to work for nearly two years now. At last count, I had more than 40 confirmed diagnoses, with at least another half dozen pending and I am way behind on the medical bills. Many of my conditions are rare, and most are incurable. They have stripped me of my functional abilities to the point that I've had to have a full time caregiver for nearly two years. Treatment hasn't been working, and I have continued to decline. Meanwhile, my medical needs are becoming more frequent, complex, and involved.
My only real source of income since I am Medically unable to work is a private disability insurance payment, but that doesn't even cover my base bills, let alone medical care and associated costs. I have reached out to everywhere I can find that does assistance for my area (both public, private, government, religious, and otherwise), and have been either turned down or told that they don't offer the kind of help we need. Multiple social workers, advocacy organizations, financial advisers, etc., have looked into my case as well, and have come up with the same results. A few of them have gone so far as to confirm that the situation is "hopeless" with the medical bills due and the fact I am Medically unable to work. It was to the point that the lady on the phone from 211 / United Way was sobbing on our behalf because literally everyone on their list had told us no. We have explained our situation and begged for exceptions, but have still been turned down.
We have no family or friends that are able to assist. Additionally, we can't set up a GoFundMe or similar, as that requires use of real name and location. There are a number of *extremely toxic* people that would cause *profoundly serious* security and safety concerns if they knew where I was at and what I was dealing with. Additionally, the local area is notorious for being hostile towards those in need, and has seriously cracked down on panhandlers. It is commonly expressed that if someone can't work or can't make enough money to support themselves, then they "don't deserve to eat" (or live, depending on who you talk to).
While I appreciate your website having a lot of resources compiled and listed for those who are medically unable to hold down a job, I'm still not finding anyone that's willing to help with my medical bills The few options that I would otherwise meet the qualifications for aren't available to people in my area. I saw where I could contact this email directly for further assistance, and I hope you have something up your sleeve that can assist.
I'll provide the answers to the most commonly-asked eligibility questions below, so as to assist in your locating of resources.
Household size:
Names, ages, occupations:
Elizabeth (Me), 27, medically disabled
Casey (husband), 30, my full-time caregiver
Monthly income:
$2800 (private disability insurance payment)
+ whatever peanuts my husband can manage to make when it doesn't interfere with taking care of me (sometimes this is as little as $37)
Kids:
No
Military:
No
If there's something that you know of that's able to help out with a job and health care bills, I would appreciate it.
Thanks again
Elizabeth
Purplepillow

Re: Medically unable to work behind on medical bills

Post by Purplepillow »

Hi, I would like information on getting help for medical bills. I was supposed to start working at a company in March but it was set back to the crisis. My now date to start is December 13. I live in St Tammany Parish ( zip code 70433) I moved here a few months ago it took longer than expected to find a job, but am unable to work right away. And when I did get one I could not start immediately so I have no income coming in until December 1st. Thanks in advance for assistance with my medical bills.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Medically unable to work behind on medical bills

Post by Admin »

While we are not sure if any of the St Tammany Parish assistance programs can help you with your medical bills, maybe they can help you with other needs. Such as finding that job you need. Also it looks like you should have some income coming in now since it is past December 1.
Purplepillow wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:31 pm Hi, I would like information on getting help for medical bills. I was supposed to start working at a company in March but it was set back to the crisis. My now date to start is December 13. I live in St Tammany Parish ( zip code 70433) I moved here a few months ago it took longer than expected to find a job, but am unable to work right away. And when I did get one I could not start immediately so I have no income coming in until December 1st. Thanks in advance for assistance with my medical bills.