Medical bills causing us to be delinquent in rent

Help with paying medical bills
SaraTuck
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Medical bills causing us to be delinquent in rent

Post by SaraTuck »

My husband is the only one working in the family and a couple of months ago he got a piece of metal stuck in his eye and had to be out of work for a short time. Because of that we've gotten behind on our rent. If we could just get caught up, my husband makes enough money to keep us from falling behind again plus I will be looking for work this coming week. The apartment complex we live in has sent us an eviction notice generated from their office but they have said that plan to persue a legal eviction if delinquent balance is not paid soon.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Medical bills causing us to be delinquent in rent

Post by Admin »

What happened to they eye? Does your husband need continued care of testing on the eye, as there are programs that offer free eye exams, glasses, and such. Many doctors provide the service. Find free glasses and exams and national non-profits that meet that need. Places like VISION USA 1-800-766-4466 or New Eyes for the Needy may be some of the best places to call for prescription glasses at no cost and free eye exams.
SaraTuck wrote:My husband is the only one working in the family and a couple of months ago he got a piece of metal stuck in his eye and had to be out of work for a short time. Because of that we've gotten behind on our rent. If we could just get caught up, my husband makes enough money to keep us from falling behind again plus I will be looking for work this coming week. The apartment complex we live in has sent us an eviction notice generated from their office but they have said that plan to persue a legal eviction if delinquent balance is not paid soon.
Winterskier

Post by Winterskier »

hi i have ulcerative coilitis and it flares up a lot and i have a lot of med bills i can not pay after i pay all my regular bills and rent. I have no money left. A lot of programs like medicaid say i make to much for them to help me out. The hospital bills keep adding interest no matter how much i was sending them so i was getting no where and stopped paying them as it makes no sense to pay bills that add high interest. They should not be able to add interest on medical bills your trying to pay and they wounder why i am not paying them. Is there anyway that i can get help paying these medical bills. Thank you for your time
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Usually a hospital will offer some flexibility on the timing of repaying medical bills. You should also prioritize them lower then your rent, as they are less likely to purse aggressive collection tactics. Find our best listing of ways to get help with medical bills and debts, including negotiation and interest rate reductions. If any of the bills have a higher interest rate due than others, then pay those first. Always prioritize with highest interest rate bills first.

Winterskier wrote:hi i have ulcerative coilitis and it flares up a lot and i have a lot of med bills i can not pay after i pay all my regular bills and rent. I have no money left. A lot of programs like medicaid say i make to much for them to help me out. The hospital bills keep adding interest no matter how much i was sending them so i was getting no where and stopped paying them as it makes no sense to pay bills that add high interest. They should not be able to add interest on medical bills your trying to pay and they wounder why i am not paying them. Is there anyway that i can get help paying these medical bills. Thank you for your time
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

My dad is currently in California and has evicted from his home. He hasn't worked for many years due to health reasons and we are in the process of applying for SSI for him. But as you know that can take a while. He has no choice but to move here. We don't have any help we can offer right now. He needs housing and other help to survive. What are some options and resources for him once he gets here?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

So he is moving to California. It really depends on what town, city, or city he is moving too, and that will help determine the resources that are available to him. The full listing of programs for California can be found. Select your city, town, county to help him find some housing or help for this medical expenses in Californian.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/cal ... grams.html
flyboy wrote:My dad is currently in California and has evicted from his home. He hasn't worked for many years due to health reasons and we are in the process of applying for SSI for him. But as you know that can take a while. He has no choice but to move here. We don't have any help we can offer right now. He needs housing and other help to survive. What are some options and resources for him once he gets here?
JohnstonMary

Post by JohnstonMary »

My scenario is two-fold really. My Husband and I both work from home. He has been diagnosed with a Severe Anxiety disorder that makes it very difficult for him to leave the house. Fortunately, his job is writing and it suits him will. I also work from home as a web content manager among other duties. We both work in our bedroom every day, so approximately 18 to 20 hours a day is spent in this small room, and the rent is low. The problem is that we have a bad leak in one window that is now causing us both to suffer from intermittent breathing problems from asthma symptoms to bronchitis. Unfortunately, it was almost a year ago that I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my lung. This required three days in the hospital, very expensive medications, tests, blood draws, and constant follow up appointments. I am much better now, but we owe over $40,000 in medical bills. I'm not sure if your organization can help us with the repair to the window or assist us in paying off the medical bills, but I thought I would try contacting you to see if there is any possibility of assistance. I have no idea how much the window repair will be. My husband estimates at least 1,000 or 2,000 because the whole wall needs to be replaced, mold removed, and then everything put back together properly. I would appreciate any assistance or guidance you might have.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

With over 40K owed on the medical bills, at that interest rate, you should really look into consolidating them down to something more manageable. Also, even though you may work from home with your husband, still look into insurance. With the new affordable health care act anyone can get it, and at least so called catastrophic coverage to protect the both of you in the future. Also, for 3 days in the hospital, that does seem like a lot to owe, but find information on consolidation here. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... _debt.html