Income too high for LIHEAP

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
Rachdep1

Income too high for LIHEAP

Post by Rachdep1 »

I am not eligible to Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) because I make too much. My house was built in the 1920s, the windows haven't been replaced since then, I have oil heat, the siding is asbestos which needs to be replaced, I have to install insulation, a new roof and add support to the bedroom and kitchen floors. I live alone, work a full time job and go to school at night, I also have a car payment. I dont think LIHEAP takes any of this into account. The winter is approaching and I have no oil whatsoever. I don't have the $1500 its going to take to fill up my two 250 gallon tanks. I don't have the money to install new windows or any insulation. I can't find any places that will give me the help I need. I live in West Pittston, PA 18643 and cant find anywhere near here that will help me. Do you have any suggestions?
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Income too high for LIHEAP

Post by Admin »

That is a problem with the ow Income Home Energy Assistance Program. If your income is mid level, then it can't help you. But sadly that is true of most assistance programs. The rich do not need help, the low income qualify, and middle income families are left out. Here is some info on West Pittston and Luzerne. I hope it helps.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... _prog.html
Rachdep1 wrote:I am not eligible to Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) because I make too much. My house was built in the 1920s, the windows haven't been replaced since then, I have oil heat, the siding is asbestos which needs to be replaced, I have to install insulation, a new roof and add support to the bedroom and kitchen floors. I live alone, work a full time job and go to school at night, I also have a car payment. I dont think LIHEAP takes any of this into account. The winter is approaching and I have no oil whatsoever. I don't have the $1500 its going to take to fill up my two 250 gallon tanks. I don't have the money to install new windows or any insulation. I can't find any places that will give me the help I need. I live in West Pittston, PA 18643 and cant find anywhere near here that will help me. Do you have any suggestions?
cat1

Post by cat1 »

Trying to find an agency in my area that will assist with utilities. I tried 2 in my area which did not have any funds available. Some also say my income is too high, for things such as LIHEAP. I am in need of assistance with water and electric. I am unemployed at this time and have been for about 2 months. If there are any programs that have funds available to assist please feel free to contact me. Im in the state of Georgia, Columbus Georiga area to be exact.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

While you may have tried two agencies, there are more in Columbus and Muscogee County. One of the programs and phone numbers to call is (706) 649-1600. The agency offers emergency food and LIHEAP and other resources for paying energy and utility bills. So of them may be able to help, even if you have income concerns from LIHEAP or if your income is too high.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... e_pro.html
cat1 wrote:Trying to find an agency in my area that will assist with utilities. I tried 2 in my area which did not have any funds available. Some also say my income is too high, for things such as LIHEAP. I am in need of assistance with water and electric. I am unemployed at this time and have been for about 2 months. If there are any programs that have funds available to assist please feel free to contact me. Im in the state of Georgia, Columbus Georiga area to be exact.
Lance13

Post by Lance13 »

Hello I am in desperate need of help paying my electrical bill. I have had two extremely expensive bills, but not considered low income and LHEAP can't help me. I applied and asked around. Last month light bill was 770.00 this month is 850.00. My light company had me to have an electrician come and check my house and he said he could not find any thing wrong. My electrical company would not decrease my bill and all the companys that help with paying electrical bills had no funds available. I have two kids and no where to go I really need help keeping my lights on. I have never been in a situation like this before. I do have a job but not enough funds to pay a light bill that has been 770 and 800 per month. My light bill usually average 250 with cable and internet. I don't understand why my bill drastically increased. I live in georgia
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

That is one of the problem with LIHEAP. Some people have an income that is just slightly too high to qualify. So they can't pay their bills, and the government won't help. More moderate income people. They are in a tough spot. Why the heck is your light bill so expensive? $850 is way above average. It should be $100 to $200 per month at most. Call the utility company and tell them of the problem. Maybe it is the meter. And other programs can be found here.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... bills.html
Lance13 wrote:Hello I am in desperate need of help paying my electrical bill. I have had two extremely expensive bills, but not considered low income and LHEAP can't help me. I applied and asked around. Last month light bill was 770.00 this month is 850.00. My light company had me to have an electrician come and check my house and he said he could not find any thing wrong. My electrical company would not decrease my bill and all the companys that help with paying electrical bills had no funds available. I have two kids and no where to go I really need help keeping my lights on. I have never been in a situation like this before. I do have a job but not enough funds to pay a light bill that has been 770 and 800 per month. My light bill usually average 250 with cable and internet. I don't understand why my bill drastically increased. I live in georgia
LoreyM

Post by LoreyM »

To whom it may concern:

I am writing you because My family and I need help paying for our utility bills! We live in Red Bluff,ca in a Mobile home that is poorly insulated.Our home is freezing in the winter,and so Hot in the summer! The vents to our home are not even properly closed,you can see the ground outside!! From some of the vents on the
floor,so we have had to cover those vents up ourselves.The windows are not insulated at all,or oven is from the 1970's,and we constantly smell gas coming somewhere in
the home! This has made our PG& E bills so high. We are on a very fixed income.Are on medical,food stamps,Etc. My husband is the only one who works right now,and we have two kids to take care of! If you could please point us into the right path on where we need to turn,on getting some assistance with our outrageous Utility Bills I would be ever so grateful! Thank you for you time! I look forward to hearing from someone soon!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Red Bluff California is in the county of Tehama. There are not a huge number of assistance programs in that area, but some places you can call for help with bills in Tehama. The leading agency will be the Tehama County Community Action Agency, which can be reached at (530) 527-6159. They run weatherization, may help you with LIHEAP, and other financial aid and assistance, including housing and rent help. They will also have information on other local non-profits and charities.
LoreyM wrote:To whom it may concern:

I am writing you because My family and I need help paying for our utility bills! We live in Red Bluff,ca in a Mobile home that is poorly insulated.Our home is freezing in the winter,and so Hot in the summer! The vents to our home are not even properly closed,you can see the ground outside!! From some of the vents on the
floor,so we have had to cover those vents up ourselves.The windows are not insulated at all,or oven is from the 1970's,and we constantly smell gas coming somewhere in
the home! This has made our PG& E bills so high. We are on a very fixed income.Are on medical,food stamps,Etc. My husband is the only one who works right now,and we have two kids to take care of! If you could please point us into the right path on where we need to turn,on getting some assistance with our outrageous Utility Bills I would be ever so grateful! Thank you for you time! I look forward to hearing from someone soon!
Ditka

Post by Ditka »

I am needing help to pay my public service energy bill, I am the only one working and I have my father, my boyfriend and right now 4 kids in our home and our public service is ready to be turned off today. The actual disconnect day was 9/15/11 and I tried everything I could to get them to give us a little more time but they will not, please let us know if you can help.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We here that quite a bit, in that someones income is too high for government aid. In these cases we usually recommend calling your utility company directly and ask about their programs, enter into a payment plan for electric bill, etc. Find the list of programs by state here.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/ene ... tance.html
Usually the income limits are not as strict as say a program from the state or federal government, so more people can receive support.
Ditka wrote:I am needing help to pay my public service energy bill, I am the only one working and I have my father, my boyfriend and right now 4 kids in our home and our public service is ready to be turned off today. The actual disconnect day was 9/15/11 and I tried everything I could to get them to give us a little more time but they will not, please let us know if you can help.
Eli34

Post by Eli34 »

I am a first time home owner. I work full time in a doctors office. I come home and then watch my 2 great nephews and my great niece, I am having a very hard time. I look for assistance, and because I work no one will help. But if I was an illegal I'd have everything paid for. I have yet to be able to afford a full tank of oil. Yet I cannot get LIHEAP because I am over. I want to apply for assistance with utility bills. I pay on my light, but i am behind because of the oil and now the electrics is $235.00 I can cry. Plus the town I live in does not participate in low income utility help at all. Where does a poor working American go for help? Do I move across seas so I can get help (we seem to help those in foreign lands) or do I go on welfare then I can have everything even better health care and food. Please Please help me even for my electric bill to be paid I'd be grateful.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

LIHEAP does have strict income guidelines. Sometimes utility companies offer grants or other financial aid, and the guidelines are not as strict. Other options like weatherization may be available to you as well. Regardless find a listing of energy assistance, and we have every state listed. Many programs focus on winter help too, for items like heating oil.
Eli34 wrote:I am a first time home owner. I work full time in a doctors office. I come home and then watch my 2 great nephews and my great niece, I am having a very hard time. I look for assistance, and because I work no one will help. But if I was an illegal I'd have everything paid for. I have yet to be able to afford a full tank of oil. Yet I cannot get LIHEAP because I am over. I want to apply for assistance with utility bills. I pay on my light, but i am behind because of the oil and now the electrics is $235.00 I can cry. Plus the town I live in does not participate in low income utility help at all. Where does a poor working American go for help? Do I move across seas so I can get help (we seem to help those in foreign lands) or do I go on welfare then I can have everything even better health care and food. Please Please help me even for my electric bill to be paid I'd be grateful.
Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Hello,

My family and I are going through a horrible time. My parents lost their home in June 2013 and since we have rented a home together. Since moving into this home everything has gone down hill. I lost my job and I am searching with no luck just yet......our power is being shut off and as you may know Arizona is hot I am so lost and not sure what to do our to help myself. I have reached out the APS the power company and they said they can't help me and now on top of my $922.00 bill I have to pay a $515.00 deposit!!! We applied for LIHEAP but were rejected. Please guide me as I am lost and ready to give up!! Thank you for listening and I live in Tucson, Arizona.
lucylew

Post by lucylew »

Hi, I am contacting you in regards to needing assistance with paying my light bill. I am 21 years old and just moved out of my mother’s when I was living with my mom she you my name and ran Up a bill. I just need a little assistance from LIHEAP with My light bill by any chance. If you may be able to help please contact me soon as possible, and thank you.
Elephant

Post by Elephant »

I don't have a disconnect notice yet because it's not due until the 18th but I was wondering if there's light bill help without disconnect notice from LIHEAP when income is too high. I don't know that I'd qualify as low income because I make too much money for food stamps though my son does have Medicaid. On paper I make money but I have a mountain of debt. I've been having to basically live off of credit cards to buy groceries for months but now those are maxed out and the minimum payments are killing me. I live in a rural community where there's just not a lot of resources especially with my work schedule as far as if I wanted to go to a food bank. But my light bill that's due in just a few days is just over $300 because I have a 2 story house. So if I could get any help for people with higher income from LIHEAP with that BEFORE the due date it would help because after the due date they'll tack on an extra $20 to my bill that I can't already afford.