Electric Bill Panic

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
ChristySue
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Electric Bill Panic

Post by ChristySue »

Hi,

I live in central Kansas. Not close to a major city. I'm on an average pay plan with the electric company, and I've been on unemployment for over a year. I'm due for an unemployment payment today, but they have had some computer glitch and I don't know if I'll be paid. My electric bill is past due. And this will be the 2nd month I'll be paying past due.

Does anyone know if they (Westar) will cut me off for being late a 2nd month? If I don't get the unemployment check today to pay the bill and they cut me off, I'll not only have no electricity, I'll have no heat, because my heater requires electricity to run, along with the gas.

I've been told that I am not eligible for any assistance anywhere because I own my home and I'm on unemployment benefits. Is this true? I'm over 55 and have no small children.

Thank you.

ChristySue
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Electric Bill Panic

Post by Admin »

Westar Project Deserve is an option for you. They offer utility bill payment assistance of up to $200 once a year. Applications can be picked up at the local Red Cross office in Reno county and they need to be received at the local Wichita Red Cross office postmarked between the 1st and 7th day of the month. For your convenience, an application form for the program can also be downloaded from the website. Project Deserve is administered by the Red Cross.
American Red Cross at 316-219-4000
Westar Energy at 800-383-1183
Also, try the LIHEAP program for Kansas. That usually has a crisis program that will provide you with cash grants for an energy bill. Last, but not least, the Emergency Energy Fund will provides cash grants for utility bills up to $100, and applicants are eligible to receive funds once every two years, so as long as you haven;'t used it within 2 years you are OK. This plan is also administered by the Salvation Army, available in Reno County.
620-669-0159

http://www.westarenergy.com/corp_com/co ... %20deserve
Putin

Post by Putin »

I am in Michigan, and St Clair county to be exact. I have 5 children. My home is on a single income and I am struggle with not only my rent but my utilities. My electric company is working with me on a payment plan but my rent is past due this month plus some from last month.
Court papers will be filed September 15, 2014 if I am not able to pay rent. As well as my gas is in shut off and is schedule for this coming week. I am not really sure where I am able to go being in St Clair county or if anywhere in Macomb county will help, which I am familiar with Macomb county more than St Clair due to just moving in St Clair recently.
I am not usually one to ask for help but when Christmas came and work slowed down tremendously, I could not let down my children and tried my best to get caught back up. I am just looking for some help to get back on my feet. I am not capable of going to DHS due to the amount of money it would take to get to there office and I do not have consistent access to internet. If there is anything anyone could do to help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time and god bless you.
Globemaster

Post by Globemaster »

My electricity is being turned off tomorrow morning. I am waiting to be approved. I also have a 4 year old daughter. I have a device in my back that I have to charge weekly. If I can't charge, I will have to have surgery to have the spinal cord stimulated battery changed out. I desperately need help before tomorrow morning.
Chrisann

Post by Chrisann »

We are in a desolate area and everything is electric. We have a well and no central heating but our power bill is a thousand per month. I would appreciate any advice or help with this matter. Thank you for your time.