Illinois help paying electric bills

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
vanessapopp
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Illinois help paying electric bills

Post by vanessapopp »

I am a single working mother who is looking for help in Illinois to pay a $500 dollar electric bill from 4 yrs ago. i recently took an apartment but when I went to have to electric turned on ComEd told me I had to pay this bill first. I dont have 500 since I live check to check. Can you direct me or help me find help. I dont know what to do..
Live in Illinois
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Illinois help paying electric bills

Post by Admin »

Thank you for posting state and your utility. It really helps me offer exact info

Here are ComEd assistance programs

The CARE Helping Hand Initiative.
It is a new program offered by ComEd that provides a one-time offer/grant that was designed to provide some immediate relief with energy bills to customers currently facing disconnection. No income restrictions.

Also, the Summer Assistance Program will give a one-time $30 credit for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program participants. There are some income criteria, and only those people with household incomes up to 200 percent of the poverty level are able to get help.

Last, but not least, the Residential Hardship Fund gives variable free cash grants of up to $1,000 to offset utility bill rate increases for people with special circumstances and those who are facing hardships or emergencies.
baby05bisquit

Help with utility and phone bills in Illinois

Post by baby05bisquit »

My name is Brenda and I live in Illinois. I have asked for help on our power bill, but I am behind on our phone bill and have recently gotten it shut off. My husband has been layed off of his job and I am not working at the moment. We have 3 children in school and one in college. Yes my husband gets unemployment but it is not that much at all. If you could provide my with information on finding help with bills past due and property taxes I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. Sincerely Brenda
Socgel

Post by Socgel »

I applied for energy assistance for Ameren electric bill at Community Action Agency (CASTLE) in St Louis county. I have a shut off notice for the 24th. I paid some of the bill but did not have enough to pay the rest . I applied for assistance on the 11th and was told that I would receive a letter in 2 to 5 days. It is the 20th today and I have not gotten a letter. I called Ameren several times to see if any agency had called or made a pledge on the account. Ameren does not have any pledges either. I went back down the Community Action Agency today, talked to the same person that took my application, and I was told that even if I qualify for assistance I still may not get any assistance. I recalled HDC saying the same thing to people. People were applying for assistance for their bills, and even though they qualified and were in need they still did not get any help , so where is the Federal funding going that the Community Action Agency on Woodson rd going, I am paying on my bill but it is too much , I cannot afford to pay gas , electric and all the other expenses right now, so I am one of those people who had to turn to public agencies for assistance.
Helen

Post by Helen »

Dear Sir/Madame,

I need immediate assistance with my electricity bill. I am 26 years and have an application for social security income pending with the state of Illinois. When I turned 25, my income immediately fell under the “reevaluation process” of the federal government. To date it is still pending. In addition to my electricity being disconnected I am also two-months behind in my rent. I was wondering is there any service that will help pay my ComEd bill of $359.40? My mother stated she can help me keep the roof over my head but cannot help with my electricity as this will caused her to be in a financial bind. I have applied for jobs and nothing has become to fruition. I applied at the Illinois Department of Human Services for (LIHEAP) hardship and was told that my application was denied because my SSI was pending and I am no longer considered to be disabled-which is untrue. I am consider to be STILL disabled, the SSA has my doctors notes in relation to this fact. I have no income.
Please get back with me. The lady below is my outreach coordinator and is trying to accommodate me with hardships services. You can email your responses to this email address or you can call her at the number provided below as well.
Namco1

Post by Namco1 »

Hello,

I am a single, male and I live in Lemont, Cook County, Illinois. I am currently unemployed and receiving a small amount of unemployment benefits ($190/week). I rent a house where I pay rent and utilities separately and its appliances are totally reliant on electricity, including things like the hot-water heater and the furnace. So, I do not have a natural gas bill, but I have high electric service charges.

I am seeking assistance and having a hard time figuring this stuff out. I have a phone list from the Comed website and have called the "Community and Economic Development Association of Cook County" more than once. I have been on hold for hours and yet to talk to a live person. Do you have any recommendations for me please? Is there anywhere I can go in person and apply for assistance?

Thank You for your time,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are other agencies to try beside the Community and Economic Development Association of Cook County. Places like the Salvation Army or of course government programs such as LIHEAP may help with utility bills too. Especially to keep your furnace on. Find the main resources here. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... ogram.html
Buffet12

Post by Buffet12 »

Hello I live in Knoxville Illinois and I lost my job in November. I am currently broke beyond anything I have ever been. I have been applying for jobs, but have had no success. My power has been shut off as of today. I have two kids. If you could please help me in anyway. I'm a humble man not knowing what to do. I've worked since I was 16 till I was 31 last November.