SSI not enough for utility bills

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
Marybutterfly
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

SSI not enough for utility bills

Post by Marybutterfly »

Hello, I am disabled and just moved back to Joplin in May, and we lost much of our belongings in the process. I have my oldest daughter who has social anxiety disorder and my son living with me. Another daughter and her husband and baby lost their home when he lost his job, so they are here with us also. They have searched far and wide for jobs and not come up with any as yet, although my son is starting a job at McDonalds. Our gas has been turned off, and we have tried to do without it for 2 months.But now it is getting cold, and we are feeling it miserably. My one year old grandson is here, and it is near to impossible bathing him in this cold even if we can heat up water, the surrounding temp is just not warm enough. Is there anywhere that can help us? We are having problems coming up with all or my rent also. I just get the $674. ssi each month, and it just isn't enough. If you can help or point us to the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: SSI not enough for utility bills

Post by Admin »

Isn't Joplin in Missouri. If so, then find a comprehensive listing of Missouri utility assistance programs and resources for you, daughter, and husband. Yes, with winter coming many LIHEAP programs have been cut back, so more and more people will need assistance this year paying for heating bills with the cold winter months coming. Look into conservation, and look into programs like Heat-Up St. Louis 314-531-7837 and other options.
Marybutterfly wrote:Hello, I am disabled and just moved back to Joplin in May, and we lost much of our belongings in the process. I have my oldest daughter who has social anxiety disorder and my son living with me. Another daughter and her husband and baby lost their home when he lost his job, so they are here with us also. They have searched far and wide for jobs and not come up with any as yet, although my son is starting a job at McDonalds. Our gas has been turned off, and we have tried to do without it for 2 months.But now it is getting cold, and we are feeling it miserably. My one year old grandson is here, and it is near to impossible bathing him in this cold even if we can heat up water, the surrounding temp is just not warm enough. Is there anywhere that can help us? We are having problems coming up with all or my rent also. I just get the $674. ssi each month, and it just isn't enough. If you can help or point us to the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
JoeQuick

Post by JoeQuick »

I need help to pay my light and water bills. I got 2 kids and no job and been looking for help and job everyday I’m fix to be threw out my apartment because I have to have utility on in for my kids. My SSI payments in Washington DC are not enough to pay them. I just 2 month behind on my light and one month behind on my water. Please help me I be look for job for a while now and nobody will help me I need this to kept my family together.
King

Post by King »

I am disabled. I am on oxygen 24/7 however Utah and SSA have both denied me assistance. I have been trying to find internet work so as to keep going but so far it only amounts to pennies a day. I have oxygen payment for Lincare coming up on the 20th and they flat told me tough luck if I don't have the money. When I checked with SSA they had conveniently lost my Request for Reconsideration whereas the two times before the workers said it was there and no one had dealt with it yet. I also have to pay someone to do my shopping and retrieve my mail for me and as I have no money for it my food is on the low side. I do have food stamps but I can't use them since I have no family and apparently I was too much of a burden for the friend who had been shopping for me.
I don't like this position I am in and if it weren't for my cat I wouldn't be bothering Catholic Charities either. My only consolation is if I can get solvent again I can donate the assistance I was given back to those who helped me. I have always paid my way before this illness struck me and am embarrassed that I am having such a hard time now. I know I sound whiny and I wish to God that I didn't but I am so tired with everything that is going wrong. Life shouldn't have to be this difficult.
Any assistance and/or suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, I am trying to get work as a Virtual Assistant. I can work at home on my computer for a few hours at a time but I can't find anyone to hire me.
Thank you for your time,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The LIHEAP program will often prioritize assistance for the disabled. So while not sure if the lost request will slow the process down, you can apply for low income energy assistance (LIHEAP) at your local community action agency. It may help with utility, heating, and even natural gas bills. Government grants are used for this. More on LIHEAP for disabled.