How can I apply for LHEAP

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
Happygolucky
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

How can I apply for LHEAP

Post by Happygolucky »

To Whom It May Concern:
It seems that the website is taking me around in circles and I am unable to obtain needed information. I am a 33 y/o wife and mother who is permanently disabled. Although you need not know the back story, an independent long-term disability company stopped my payments and took my son's social security payments from us (and back pay). My current monthly SSD payment is $2300 and I was recently divorced too to make things worse. I have cashed in all previous retirement accounts and we are left with a savings of only $4 K. I don't know where to start. For example, I cannot determine whether we qualify for LHEAP. We have a ton of credit card debt that I have been paying off until my money was taken away. I believe legal action is warranted, but have no money. We live in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. What do we qualify for food stamps, LHEAP, anything? I should mention that I have many chronic illness and medications and require comprehensive medical coverage. Can you PLEASE direct me to someone who can help? I'm desperate.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: How can I apply for LIHEAP

Post by Admin »

Of course you can't apply for LIHEAP, or any program, on our website. We just provide information. That $2300 may or may not qualify you for LIHEAP. Some states will automatically sign up food stamp recipients for LIHEAP, but we are not sure about Pennsylvania. What we can say is here are non-profits and government programs to call for advice in Bucks County Pennsylvania. One of he main ones is Bucks County Opportunity Council, Inc. and they can be reached at 215) 345-8175.
Happygolucky wrote:To Whom It May Concern:
It seems that the website is taking me around in circles and I am unable to obtain needed information. I am a 33 y/o wife and mother who is permanently disabled. Although you need not know the back story, an independent long-term disability company stopped my payments and took my son's social security payments from us (and back pay). My current monthly SSD payment is $2300 and I was recently divorced too to make things worse. I have cashed in all previous retirement accounts and we are left with a savings of only $4 K. I don't know where to start. For example, I cannot determine whether we qualify for LHEAP. We have a ton of credit card debt that I have been paying off until my money was taken away. I believe legal action is warranted, but have no money. We live in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. What do we qualify for food stamps, LHEAP, anything? I should mention that I have many chronic illness and medications and require comprehensive medical coverage. Can you PLEASE direct me to someone who can help? I'm desperate.
1Liza2

Re: How can I apply for LHEAP

Post by 1Liza2 »

I have applied for LHEAP and do not qualify, what other programs are available for someone like me struggling to pay my central Hudson gas and electric bill. My husband hasn't worked in almost 2 years because of a major illness, disability is slow coming (currently waiting on a decision), he does receive spousal Medicaid. I was told by HEAP last year my income was too much for a family of 4. Any suggestions on where I could get help?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Why not qualify for LHEAP? Income too high, or what is the issue? We are not sure where Hudson electric is, but find a listing of energy assistance programs by state here.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/ene ... tance.html Select your state from the list, and then apply for and call about the various energy bill assistance programs. Hudson Gas will be covered in the correct state from the list below.
1Liza2 wrote:I have applied for LHEAP and do not qualify, what other programs are available for someone like me struggling to pay my central Hudson gas and electric bill. My husband hasn't worked in almost 2 years because of a major illness, disability is slow coming (currently waiting on a decision), he does receive spousal Medicaid. I was told by HEAP last year my income was too much for a family of 4. Any suggestions on where I could get help?
MerkelyMAgic

Post by MerkelyMAgic »

I live in New Britain CT. Me and two of my family members had decided to live in a one family house as we work in town and we are thinking we would be able to afford the cost. We moved in the one family in the beginning of August and since then we were able to afford everything; from rent and utilities to the cost of food. It's now winter and our house is heated with oil and with the expensive prices,we unfortunately can't afford to put up the money to keep the house warm. I did some research and saw that LHEAP is providing to help for people in such predicament. I wonder and hope that my cousins and I qualify your assistance.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We do not provide direct assistance. We just provide information. But we have places you and your cousin can call to apply for LIHEAP in New Britain Connecticut. That particular town is in Hartford County, and the plaes you want to call be be found here at Hartford assistance programs and agencies. A number of non-profits and charities are listed on this main site, and offer grants, energy conserving programs, and much more.
MerkelyMAgic wrote:I live in New Britain CT. Me and two of my family members had decided to live in a one family house as we work in town and we are thinking we would be able to afford the cost. We moved in the one family in the beginning of August and since then we were able to afford everything; from rent and utilities to the cost of food. It's now winter and our house is heated with oil and with the expensive prices,we unfortunately can't afford to put up the money to keep the house warm. I did some research and saw that LHEAP is providing to help for people in such predicament. I wonder and hope that my cousins and I qualify your assistance.
bluegourami3

Post by bluegourami3 »

Do not at this time worry about the credit card debt. Priorities should be mortgage, utilities, food and gas. And DON't let the credit card companies talk you into consolidating into a loan, because then this becomes a loan that is tied to the equity you've built up in your house. If you have to file bankruptcy later on down the road, this will only remain on your credit report for 7-10 years. If you think your going to stay in the residence that long, and most likely most people will, as it will probably take that long for the economy to fully come around. Then dont' worry about the credit card debt. Let them sit.

Check with all charities to see if you can get some help with the utility bills. Some chartiies only do a one time payment, some give you a grant. Start with your local Division of Social Services Office.