HVAC unit needs repairs

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
Ig12
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

HVAC unit needs repairs

Post by Ig12 »

I have got to the point of desperation. My HVAC broke down approx. mid December. I have had several people come out and look at it and have been told by all that a new system is needed. I purchased this system through SCEG s purchase plan 15 years ago. Being on disability since 1990 it was the only way I could afford it. We have tried to maintain comfort through space heaters which has driven our bill up to an outrageous amount. With summer just around the corner I'm looking at a unbearable situation. Is there any help available? Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: HVAC unit needs repairs

Post by Admin »

HVAC repairs and replacement may be offered by weatherization, which is a federal government created program. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... _prog.html It ensure the low income and disabled have safe and energy efficient housing, which seem like will both be applicable in your care. Call your local community action agency to get more information on the program and how it may help you. Space heaters, as you say, are not a solution.
Ig12 wrote:I have got to the point of desperation. My HVAC broke down approx. mid December. I have had several people come out and look at it and have been told by all that a new system is needed. I purchased this system through SCEG s purchase plan 15 years ago. Being on disability since 1990 it was the only way I could afford it. We have tried to maintain comfort through space heaters which has driven our bill up to an outrageous amount. With summer just around the corner I'm looking at a unbearable situation. Is there any help available? Thank you.
engine

Post by engine »

Hello,
I'm writing in hopes of finding my elderly grandmother and disabled mother a furnace, AC unit & hot water heater for the home that they share. I don't think THAW is the correct avenue but was hoping I can be directed to the right one from this agency. I can be reached by phone via e-mail. The situation is emergent as they've recently had DTE out to take a look and were told that the current one can "blow up at any moment". The need is urgent and a timely response would be greatly appreciated!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

One of the best places to call in Michigan is the Salvation Army, and their PeopleCare program. It tends to focus resources on the low income, and especially elderly, like your grandparent sound like should qualify for. They do work with TWAW and also DTE in Michigan too. Find details. http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/sal ... _prog.html
Really Salvation Army centers are located all across Michigan too, which make it easy for people to stop by at for help.
engine wrote:Hello,
I'm writing in hopes of finding my elderly grandmother and disabled mother a furnace, AC unit & hot water heater for the home that they share. I don't think THAW is the correct avenue but was hoping I can be directed to the right one from this agency. I can be reached by phone via e-mail. The situation is emergent as they've recently had DTE out to take a look and were told that the current one can "blow up at any moment". The need is urgent and a timely response would be greatly appreciated!
wastebook

Post by wastebook »

My I am disabled living on fixed income of $839. a month. I live in Bloomingdale GA. Last week I had to have my AC repaired for it wasn't cooling my house down. They had to replace a part and when checking the unit in the attic found that all the coils have rusted and was going to have to be replaced. I was told to replace the coils alone would be $1400. The unit is the original unit to the house which is 4 yrs. I had 2 estimates for replacing the whole AC system to a more energy saving system one was $5500 and the other was $5900. Needless to say I can't afford anything. Is there some kind of Energy Assistance that I could apply for to help me pay for this repair?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Some options may include weatherization, or look into energy assistance for Georgia. Also it seems like the air conditioner is fairly new, so it is not under warranty by any chance, is it? Call your local social service agency in Bloomingdale Georgia as well, as they may have some options or free advice for you, or maybe can help you apply for weatherization.
wastebook wrote:My I am disabled living on fixed income of $839. a month. I live in Bloomingdale GA. Last week I had to have my AC repaired for it wasn't cooling my house down. They had to replace a part and when checking the unit in the attic found that all the coils have rusted and was going to have to be replaced. I was told to replace the coils alone would be $1400. The unit is the original unit to the house which is 4 yrs. I had 2 estimates for replacing the whole AC system to a more energy saving system one was $5500 and the other was $5900. Needless to say I can't afford anything. Is there some kind of Energy Assistance that I could apply for to help me pay for this repair?
Selena

Post by Selena »

I live in a single family home with my daughter whom is 15 years old. During the week my HVAC system stopped heating my home, I had someone check it and was told that my system had a major Freon leak. I was also told to use the emergency heat which will run the light bill up...I was wondering was there any assistance available to me to help with this issue.
Orangatang

Post by Orangatang »

Our HVAC system has been down for over a week and three experts told us it cannot be fixed; it must be replaced. We do not qualify for financing, so we are doing without A/C. Since our home has a combined/matched heating and a/c system, the lowest quote we had for replacement was $5,200. I am a teacher and my husband has a small family business that is not doing so well, so we are just trying to make it each paycheck. The problem is that it will soon be cold and our heating system needs replaced, too.
We make too much to qualify for the help from our electric company, but have applied with our fingers crossed. We have extreme student loan debt and business debts that put a major strain on our family finances: over $600 a month. I keep praying that God will show us a way to pay for our HVAC system to be replaced and that we will be able to pay the additional $680 per month for childcare starting on Monday, now that my summer is over and I have to start teaching again. Please advise me if there is anything that can be done. I'm searching websites over and over and wonder if we make too much to qualify for anything, but we still have extreme financial difficulties, despite my steady job. Thank you for reading.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

yes, it can be challenging to get a home or HVAC system fixed. But there are grants and assistance programs out there. Try this one for free home repairs and updates. It is also for emergencies and is free for low income families.
Orangatang wrote:Our HVAC system has been down for over a week and three experts told us it cannot be fixed; it must be replaced.
Master12

Post by Master12 »

Hello, My air HVAC conditioner just broke last week. I had a repair person quote for a new unit in which they noticed 2 cracks in my heat exchanger, so he has now turned off my heater as well, so I have no air conditioner or heater in my home or HVAC system. It’s been very hot recently and winter is right around the corner. I’m currently on disability and have just applied for SSD which I am waiting for approval.
My income through my previous employer will start on 12-25-19 and will be $3,200 per month and is only currently approved through the end of October. Can you please let me know how to apply for help to repairs to my HVAC? I would like to have the house weatherized as well if I qualify. I recently had to put on a new roof per my home owner’s insurance and install new water heater which broke and received help from my family which they cannot do again since those were costly. Any help would be appreciated for repairing the HVAC unit. Thank you,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

If your income is $3200 per month, that is pretty good. But as noted, not enough to pay for HVAC repairs. But you need to prepare for the winter as it will be cold too. Maybe find free money for HVAC repairs.
Master12 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:04 pm Hello, My air HVAC conditioner just broke last week. I had a repair person quote for a new unit in which they noticed 2 cracks in my heat exchanger, so he has now turned off my heater as well, so I have no air conditioner or heater in my home or HVAC system. It’s been very hot recently and winter is right around the corner. I’m currently on disability and have just applied for SSD which I am waiting for approval.
My income through my previous employer will start on 12-25-19 and will be $3,200 per month and is only currently approved through the end of October. Can you please let me know how to apply for help to repairs to my HVAC? I would like to have the house weatherized as well if I qualify. I recently had to put on a new roof per my home owner’s insurance and install new water heater which broke and received help from my family which they cannot do again since those were costly. Any help would be appreciated for repairing the HVAC unit. Thank you,
Alina Li

Post by Alina Li »

Good day, My name is James and I live with my fiancee Anna in Park Central in Mountain Home, ID 83647. The HVAC unit we have needs to be fixed. We live in a double wide manufactured home in a trailer park. Recently, we had a HVAC company come out and check our furnace and were told that the whole system needed to be replaced or major repairs done. Unfortunately, we could not qualify for financing and are in a jam. I am 62 yrs old and disabled. My fiancee takes care of me and her 25 yr old autistic son, and works at Intermountain Hospital in Boise. As well, she is planning on entering nursing school this upcoming year. I was hoping that you could direct me to someone who could help with financing this project. I sincerely appreciate your time and assistance with my request.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The LIHEAP program in Idaho may help you fix your HVAC, if you meet income and other criteria. And of course provided there is money still available from the government. That being said, look here for Idaho LIHEAP phone number.
Alina Li wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:56 pm Good day, My name is James and I live with my fiancee Anna in Park Central in Mountain Home, ID 83647. The HVAC unit we have needs to be fixed.