Water bills

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
Porso
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Water bills

Post by Porso »

Hi. I am having trouble with my water company. They put in a meter last year and then all of the sudden hit us with a $554 bill. Said we owed it from the past year. We argued with them on this and they shut our water off. We went without water for a while and then were able to come up with the money to pay the bill. They turned it on and then hit us with a bill a month later for $287. They told us it was the bill for the months that had past. They shut our water off and hit us with a bill. Now, while we are in the middle of disputting this, they shut our water off and tell us we need to pay $396. First off I can not afford $396, 2nd we were disputting the fact that they hit us with a bill of $287 when we had no water.
Now they are saying, (to justify themselves) we used water illegally. Illegally? if by filling buckets of water and showering at our friends house is illegal, then yes we did...but last I knew if I showered somewhere else that person paid their water bill.
I told them I have no problem paying the $130 that is owed from Oct, however I refuse to pay for the water that was shut off.
Is there any help in Champaign Illinois or person you can let me talk to to figure this out
Thanks
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Water bills

Post by Admin »

I think a couple things. Here is some information on Champaign assistance programs. you have options like the Champaign County Regional Planning Commission phone (217) 328-3313 or the local united way. Dial (217-352-5151). Also if you go to the left menu bar, under state programs, use the link for free legal assistance. It does sound illegal for the water company to do that, and you should talk to an attorney.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... tance.html
Porso wrote:Hi. I am having trouble with my water company. They put in a meter last year and then all of the sudden hit us with a $554 bill. Said we owed it from the past year. We argued with them on this and they shut our water off. We went without water for a while and then were able to come up with the money to pay the bill. They turned it on and then hit us with a bill a month later for $287. They told us it was the bill for the months that had past. They shut our water off and hit us with a bill. Now, while we are in the middle of disputting this, they shut our water off and tell us we need to pay $396. First off I can not afford $396, 2nd we were disputting the fact that they hit us with a bill of $287 when we had no water.
Now they are saying, (to justify themselves) we used water illegally. Illegally? if by filling buckets of water and showering at our friends house is illegal, then yes we did...but last I knew if I showered somewhere else that person paid their water bill.
I told them I have no problem paying the $130 that is owed from Oct, however I refuse to pay for the water that was shut off.
Is there any help in Champaign Illinois or person you can let me talk to to figure this out
Thanks
MarryM

Post by MarryM »

My water has been shut off due to non-pymnt. I am sick and my fiance has been working, however, due to a past bill with the IRS they have left us with no money. My fiance has found better employment as of today and he will start next week. Is there anyone out there who may know how we can get help with our water bill and rent? I can only check my email once a week at the local WFD. I live in Rochester New York. We are also falling behind on our heating bills with this cold Central NY weather and the snow.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Good news in that your family is working now, so hopefully will be able to get back on track.
Around the Rochester area try places like the East Rochester Community Resource Center Program, which can be reached at (585) 586-0525. I believe they can provide one time rental assistance, and definitely information on programs and other services around Monroe County NY.
The Housing Council runs the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-housing Program, and they can be reached at (585) 546-3700. This is a federal government eviction prevention type program.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/mon ... rogr1.html
MarryM wrote:My water has been shut off due to non-pymnt. I am sick and my fiance has been working, however, due to a past bill with the IRS they have left us with no money. My fiance has found better employment as of today and he will start next week. Is there anyone out there who may know how we can get help with our water bill and rent? I can only check my email once a week at the local WFD. I live in Rochester New York. We are also falling behind on our heating bills with this cold Central NY weather and the snow.
Randy

Post by Randy »

My family has just recently moved to Harper Woods, MI. And with the assistance from the great people at Harper-Gratiot NSO we have a house to live in. However, the previous tenants left a huge unpaid water bill and the landlord is not responsible for bill because he puts it in the lease that the tenants are. I have a family of 4 and one is special needs and we really need water but can not afford it. I will start my job this week and my husband is still looking. If there is any help please contact me.
Huy

Post by Huy »

need help paying for a water bill that is in disconnect for july 23. my town change out water meters and went from a bill every 3 months to a monthly bill. and i was unable to keep up with the monthly billing as i got finacial hardship and had to file for bankruptcy to save my home from foreclosure, if i could get help to get this back to a monthly payment i feel i can keep up with the bill at that time, as right now i am trying to get current on other monthly bills and i am stretched a little thin on money to pay every bill.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Here are the assistance programs in Seattle Washing and King County. Dozens of agencies and organizations operate across this corner of Washington that may be able to provide assistance for water and utility bills. I think the number one place to call is Hopelink at 206.694.6700. Emergency aid is passed out to qualified low income residents.
Huy wrote:need help paying for a water bill that is in disconnect for july 23. my town change out water meters and went from a bill every 3 months to a monthly bill. and i was unable to keep up with the monthly billing as i got finacial hardship and had to file for bankruptcy to save my home from foreclosure, if i could get help to get this back to a monthly payment i feel i can keep up with the bill at that time, as right now i am trying to get current on other monthly bills and i am stretched a little thin on money to pay every bill.
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

I had my water shut off on 10/5/11 and have three children (7,5,2) at home I am unemployed and struggling to get by. I have looked all over the internet for help with getting my water turned back on. I have had to cancel my daughters birthday party because of lack of funds and with the water off I was too embarrassed to have people at my home. Please if you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. thank you so much for your time
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Water bills are a little harder to get help with. Call the Salvation Army in Kansas, local Catholic charities, and ask your water company for some type of payment plan too. More options in Kansas can be found here.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/kan ... grams.html
Sylvia wrote:I had my water shut off on 10/5/11 and have three children (7,5,2) at home I am unemployed and struggling to get by. I have looked all over the internet for help with getting my water turned back on. I have had to cancel my daughters birthday party because of lack of funds and with the water off I was too embarrassed to have people at my home. Please if you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. thank you so much for your time
ebia

Post by ebia »

Hello:

I have been having problems with the water department since December of last year when they hit me with a $141 water bill. Never did I use that much water as I was not at home but out of town taking care of a relative. Neither did I have a leak but all they said is pay or face disconnection of water. In July I managed to pay 180.58 (including late fees) by that time water was disconnected. Called the water dept. and asked then to reconnect the water and told my friend to be there. Never did they show up at the time they said then when they came left a card on door dated 7/21/11 “were unable to connect”, “registration on meter”. On 9/8/11 my friend went to the water sewer office and was told that the water would be reconnected that day between 5pm and 12 am. She waited for someone to show up till 12:30 am, but no show. Later at 1:41 a.m. someone called me that water would be reconnected by 3 a.m. I told them I was out of town and why so late when someone had been waiting for 7 ½ hrs. and no show. They re-assured me there was no need for someone to be home for reconnection.
Next day my friend finds a card on door “Your meter has been installed, but the water cannot be turned on until someone is home” call for appointment. (phone # given a non-working number). On Monday 9/12/11 I call the office and plead with them to please re-connect the water, again they did not show up on time they said. This time my friend left a note on the door “Please reconnect water no matter what”, and finally water was connected.

In October they sent a bill for $167.79 with 0 consumption of water. They claim every time they attempt reconnection there is a charge of $30.00 plus they are charging a $50 deposit. I have attempted to speak to them numerous occasions but all they said is they would deduct the fee for 9/9/11 due to the time of 1:41 a.m., they have not done that.

Water has been disconnected again, which is very serious because I have to bring my disabled cousin to live with me. I am retired with very low income and cannot afford this bill. Please someone help me.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

That does not sound right. Even it it is their policy, most companies are reasonable I will waive fees, etc. I think if you called them and complained, with no results, then time to get some more professional help with water bills. If you are low income, try looking into legal advice for free. Low income individuals can get free advice, representation, and other support. Select your state from this page for information at the local level, and to get more local phone numbers for legal advice to contest that water bill.
ebia wrote:Hello:

I have been having problems with the water department since December of last year when they hit me with a $141 water bill. Never did I use that much water as I was not at home but out of town taking care of a relative. Neither did I have a leak but all they said is pay or face disconnection of water. In July I managed to pay 180.58 (including late fees) by that time water was disconnected. Called the water dept. and asked then to reconnect the water and told my friend to be there. Never did they show up at the time they said then when they came left a card on door dated 7/21/11 “were unable to connect”, “registration on meter”. On 9/8/11 my friend went to the water sewer office and was told that the water would be reconnected that day between 5pm and 12 am. She waited for someone to show up till 12:30 am, but no show. Later at 1:41 a.m. someone called me that water would be reconnected by 3 a.m. I told them I was out of town and why so late when someone had been waiting for 7 ½ hrs. and no show. They re-assured me there was no need for someone to be home for reconnection.
Next day my friend finds a card on door “Your meter has been installed, but the water cannot be turned on until someone is home” call for appointment. (phone # given a non-working number). On Monday 9/12/11 I call the office and plead with them to please re-connect the water, again they did not show up on time they said. This time my friend left a note on the door “Please reconnect water no matter what”, and finally water was connected.

In October they sent a bill for $167.79 with 0 consumption of water. They claim every time they attempt reconnection there is a charge of $30.00 plus they are charging a $50 deposit. I have attempted to speak to them numerous occasions but all they said is they would deduct the fee for 9/9/11 due to the time of 1:41 a.m., they have not done that.

Water has been disconnected again, which is very serious because I have to bring my disabled cousin to live with me. I am retired with very low income and cannot afford this bill. Please someone help me.
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

One specific area i need help with is finding an agency that help with water bills i can not find help any place especially cause its in landlords name even though we are required to pay. Its alot past due over one thousand please help me find help in Minnesota. Also any other info on places aside from my local food shelf and county that can help with quick needs like gas clothes food along with bigger help like rent car bills past due taxes and filling that would be so great i have not had steady work for a while and so im always having to refile for help with county and that seems to take longer and longer and therefor making me fall behind to where i never get caught up. Its a new Year. I want more stability and not to have to ask for help like this. Thanks so much for time dawn Fox my address if needed is Champlin Minnesota.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, getting financial help for water bills is not as common. Usually those water bills usually are less per month than other expenses, so agencies do not focus on them. Try a local food pantry in Minnesota for food, clothes, and other non-financial aid. As far as more stability, that is great to know, and use this for water bill assistance and grants. Call your provider and ask for payment plans, extensions, and the like. So of the agencies may also be able to help people find a job too. Try your local community action agency in Champlin Minnesota too.

Gronk wrote:One specific area i need help with is finding an agency that help with water bills i can not find help any place especially cause its in landlords name even though we are required to pay. Its alot past due over one thousand please help me find help in Minnesota. Also any other info on places aside from my local food shelf and county that can help with quick needs like gas clothes food along with bigger help like rent car bills past due taxes and filling that would be so great i have not had steady work for a while and so im always having to refile for help with county and that seems to take longer and longer and therefor making me fall behind to where i never get caught up. Its a new Year. I want more stability and not to have to ask for help like this. Thanks so much for time dawn Fox my address if needed is Champlin Minnesota.
MLB Fan

Post by MLB Fan »

I pay 75.00 a month on my water but my bill is large and with interest and penalties I cant get ahead of it. The water board has threatened to shut off my water, any ideas? I live in Garfield County Colorado. I have gone to both legal aid and Catholic Charities with no luck, as well as my community action agency. I owe about 2,000 but can only pay 99.00 a month, but this seems not good enough for them.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We do have extensive information on both state and local financial assistance programs in Colorado. Many probably help with water bill too, at least as funding allows. Those agencies and programs can be read about on this site. http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/col ... grams.html And can we ask how is it possible to owe $2000 on a water bill. Something is seriously wrong there with that. Try the Salvation Army too in addition to that call to Catholic Charities that you made.
MLB Fan wrote:I pay 75.00 a month on my water but my bill is large and with interest and penalties I cant get ahead of it. The water board has threatened to shut off my water, any ideas? I live in Garfield County Colorado. I have gone to both legal aid and Catholic Charities with no luck, as well as my community action agency. I owe about 2,000 but can only pay 99.00 a month, but this seems not good enough for them.