Between a rock and a hard place with utility bills/landlord

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
widownor
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Between a rock and a hard place with utility bills/landlord

Post by widownor »

I am behind on my water bill, gas bill and light bill.

I live in a house owned by my boss, but it's not a "legal rental" and because of my bad credit (thanks to medical bills) The utilities are in his name.

I work full time but 8 bucks an hour isn't enough to pay the bills in the winter time. I was told last week to get the bills in my name - which I started to do, but then (after I got the gas company to forgo a deposit) I was told NOT to change the name on the bills. I was also told that if I don't pay these bills (water 375.00, electric 200.00, gas 250.00) BEFORE they go into shut off, I would be facing an eviction, the loss of my job, and the loss of my vehicle (as he "graciously" put it in the business name to 'save me money' on the insurance)

The stress of the situation has brought on angina which landed me in the hospital via the local ambulance last night. It is also exacerbating my fibromyalgia and causing issues with my blood sugar levels as I am an insulin dependent diabetic.

I have tried getting help from the local agencies, but I was told that they could do nothing UNTIL the bills were in shut off. I can't let that happen as I'll be forced to move, lose my vehicle and end up paying the bills anyway.

All this, and my truck needs a fuel sending unit that I just don't have the $70.00 to buy. I have asked everyone I know for help, and here in Metro Detroit.. it's tough all over. This is a last ditch effort to keep my home. If I am evicted, I just don't know what I'll do - it's over for me. if anyone can help me, I do have a paypal account (and you don't have to have paypal in order to send money) the email address is lisa@widowcrafts.com
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Between a rock and a hard place with utility bills/landlord

Post by Admin »

A couple things. You may want to talk to an attorney for this issue, as the boss, rental, relationship sounds iffy. If if not a "legal" rental the fact the boss let you stayed there I think gives you some rights. But a lawyer can help here. USe the link on the left margin on the main site for free legal aid.
As far as help for the gas, utility, etc bills, here is a listing of Detroit programs.
Try places like the United Community Housing Coalition. (313) 963-3310
Saint Christine Christian Services (313) 535-7272
Society of Saint Vincent DePaul - Archdiocese of Detroit (313) 393-2930
there are numerous other places and agencies listed here.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/way ... ogra2.html
widownor wrote:I am behind on my water bill, gas bill and light bill.

I live in a house owned by my boss, but it's not a "legal rental" and because of my bad credit (thanks to medical bills) The utilities are in his name.

I work full time but 8 bucks an hour isn't enough to pay the bills in the winter time. I was told last week to get the bills in my name - which I started to do, but then (after I got the gas company to forgo a deposit) I was told NOT to change the name on the bills. I was also told that if I don't pay these bills (water 375.00, electric 200.00, gas 250.00) BEFORE they go into shut off, I would be facing an eviction, the loss of my job, and the loss of my vehicle (as he "graciously" put it in the business name to 'save me money' on the insurance)

The stress of the situation has brought on angina which landed me in the hospital via the local ambulance last night. It is also exacerbating my fibromyalgia and causing issues with my blood sugar levels as I am an insulin dependent diabetic.

I have tried getting help from the local agencies, but I was told that they could do nothing UNTIL the bills were in shut off. I can't let that happen as I'll be forced to move, lose my vehicle and end up paying the bills anyway.

All this, and my truck needs a fuel sending unit that I just don't have the $70.00 to buy. I have asked everyone I know for help, and here in Metro Detroit.. it's tough all over. This is a last ditch effort to keep my home. If I am evicted, I just don't know what I'll do - it's over for me. if anyone can help me, I do have a paypal account (and you don't have to have paypal in order to send money) the email address is lisa@widowcrafts.com
widownor

Post by widownor »

I'm in Oakland County. Detroit charities like that won't cross over the county boundaries, I've already checked. I called the local St Vincent de Paul and left a message, but because of the hospital stay, I probably missed the call back.

I don't have the money to talk to an attorney. Because he is my boss, I'm trying to not make too much trouble because that's my sole source of income.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

If you don't have money to pay for an attorney, try the free legal aid programs. There are many in Michigan for income qualified people. Here is a listing of pro bono law firms in Michigan that may be able to help.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/mic ... tance.html
widownor wrote:I'm in Oakland County. Detroit charities like that won't cross over the county boundaries, I've already checked. I called the local St Vincent de Paul and left a message, but because of the hospital stay, I probably missed the call back.

I don't have the money to talk to an attorney. Because he is my boss, I'm trying to not make too much trouble because that's my sole source of income.
Melvin

Re: Between a rock and a hard place with utility bills/landl

Post by Melvin »

I need emergency utility assistance. I have an arrangement to pay 319.00 to Duke Energy by 8/19/15 and I do not have it. I paid my rent and over 244.00 in fees to my landlord. The landlord is a slum lord. This place is awful. I need to move right away but do not have the money to move or security deposit. I also need money for the water bill and medication.
I have gone without my Insulin for months because of financial hardships. Please refer me to agencies that will help me. I have gone to so many places referred by friends and the answers vary from “we are out of money" or you have to here by 7:00am we start and only take 7 people. I take 4 pills for pain and steroids and cannot get up at 6:00am to get in line by 7:00am and they only take a few people. Thank You. I need emergency utility funds for Duke Energy and Water.