Heat shut off

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
TracMaz
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Heat shut off

Post by TracMaz »

I am looking for any help I can get to pay my heating bill, it is shut-off status right now and I owe 811.82 to avoid shut-off and 999.66 total. I'm a single mom (I also have a job) with a daughter and it was shut-off before (about 2 months ago for about 4 days) due to non payment (I also had to borrow the money just to get it turned back on). I am struggling very badly right now and any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. I live in Ingham County Michigan now, and if you could let me know who might be able to help or where I should go I would be so greatful. It's very close to Christmas and I know there are alot of people in my situation as well, but please respond so that I can get this taken care of before it does get shut-off again. Thank you ever so much.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Heat shut off

Post by Admin »

Michigan does have some cold weather rules that make it illegal for shut off in winter, if you meet certain qualifications. I believe they can also help turn heat back on. Here is a listing of agencies and other programs for Ingham County Michigan. They can advise on the winter shut off protection plan, or maybe provide financial aid. Try the Salvation Army in Ingham County, phone (517) 484-4424. There is also the Capital Area Community Services, and their number is (517) 676-1065. We do have some link of whether the heat can be legally shut off in Michigan on the main site too.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/ing ... progr.html
TracMaz wrote:I am looking for any help I can get to pay my heating bill, it is shut-off status right now and I owe 811.82 to avoid shut-off and 999.66 total.
I'm a single mom (I also have a job) with a daughter and it was shut-off before (about 2 months ago for about 4 days) due to non payment (I also had to borrow the money just to get it turned back on). I am struggling very badly right now and any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. I live in Ingham County Michigan now, and if you could let me know who might be able to help or where I should go I would be so greatful. It's very close to Christmas and I know there are alot of people in my situation as well, but please respond so that I can get this taken care of before it does get shut-off again. Thank you ever so much.
MaryJane

Post by MaryJane »

I AM A SINGLE MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN UNEMPLOYED FOR OVER A YEAR NOW. I AM STRUGGLING FINDING EMPLOYMENT AND CAN NO LONGER AFFORD MY RENT OR MY HEATING BILLS AND OIL FOR THE UPCOMING SEASON - ANY HELP OR ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO NEXT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Look into the LIHEAP program. While the government is cutting back funding to the states that run this, there still is financial assistance available. It can help pay regular bills, or prevent a disconnection. More on [urlhttp://needhelppayingbills.com/html/lheap_assistance.html]LIHEAP[/url]
MaryJane wrote:I AM A SINGLE MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN UNEMPLOYED FOR OVER A YEAR NOW. I AM STRUGGLING FINDING EMPLOYMENT AND CAN NO LONGER AFFORD MY RENT OR MY HEATING BILLS AND OIL FOR THE UPCOMING SEASON - ANY HELP OR ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO NEXT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Flow

Post by Flow »

Good evening,
I was wondering if you could please give me more information on having our heat turned back on and paid...my husband and I are working as hard as we can, have a sick 4 month old baby (with over a $2,00 in hospital bills, we are trying to pay down/off) and are barely getting by. Some days we don't know how we do get by. Our heat was told off in August without us being informed; every time we would call and make a payment (as much as we could at that time) we were told it wouldn't be shut off since we are making payments and have a little one.....it was turned off and to turn it back on at least $900 of the $1,300 is due first. There is no way we can get a hold of that much money for our gas (heat) bill and still pay rent, buy our baby formal diapers and wipes, buy us food, pay bills and put gas in the car. We don't know what to do, every time our baby starts to get cold, our hearts break. Please provided me with any information you might think could help.
Thank you,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

If you have a sick baby, you are probably protected from disconnection laws. Most states have laws and regulations in place to ensure people with children, in particular sick kids, can't have their power or heat turned off during the winter months. It is to protect consumers and families. Find your states utility disconnection laws from this list here. http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/uti ... nnect.html
Flow wrote:Good evening,
I was wondering if you could please give me more information on having our heat turned back on and paid...my husband and I are working as hard as we can, have a sick 4 month old baby (with over a $2,00 in hospital bills, we are trying to pay down/off) and are barely getting by. Some days we don't know how we do get by. Our heat was told off in August without us being informed; every time we would call and make a payment (as much as we could at that time) we were told it wouldn't be shut off since we are making payments and have a little one.....it was turned off and to turn it back on at least $900 of the $1,300 is due first. There is no way we can get a hold of that much money for our gas (heat) bill and still pay rent, buy our baby formal diapers and wipes, buy us food, pay bills and put gas in the car. We don't know what to do, every time our baby starts to get cold, our hearts break. Please provided me with any information you might think could help.
Thank you,
missionredder

Post by missionredder »

Hello, could you please give me the emergency number for heating in Maine? My son is an officer and at this moment has no heat and the oil man wants 100.00 just to come out and he needs to buy at least 100 gallons. Being a new officer and also going to school I as a Mom find it rather disturbing that he is sitting home freezing. Please help him out if you can.
Ptbull11

Post by Ptbull11 »

Hello,
I am living on my own after a divorce. I am 45, had to go back to work, making only 11.50 hours. I had to find a place that would allow my 2 dogs. I am paying 685.00 a month in rent. I have oil heat, when I moved in there was 3/4 of a tank already here. I moved in 12/13.
I used that and got some heaters to heat with. That made my electric bill go to 200.00 a month. My electric bill is up to 608.00. I had 125 gallons delivered and that was 552.00 which I have not paid yet because I don't have the money. I am almost out of oil again and I don't know what to do.
I have never asked for help before, but I really need it now. Please help me.