Need energy conservation improvements to my home

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
SamHouston
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Need energy conservation improvements to my home

Post by SamHouston »

I am inquiring with you regarding this program as I was told, a couple of years ago, that they were only doing 1 house per year and that house had already been chosen. Due to being told this, I have never applied for the weatherization program, though I am surely in desperate need of help.
My grandson and I reside here in Knoxville, TN and are living on a fixed income of an estimated $700.00 per month. My home is an older home, and with that comes little to no insulation, among other things. The house has an old floor furnace and gas fireplace though we don't dare attempt to use either of them as they are as old as the home. Chances are, the gas lines running under the house are probably also that old too.
A typical winter for us is to close off all of the house with the exception of the rear family room and bathroom. Both of these rooms are heated by means of an electric space heater. We brave the cold through the kitchen and dining room to make our way to the bathroom. Over the years I have done my best to insulate here and there but the house is in need of much more than just insulation.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need energy conservation improvements to my home

Post by Admin »

Yes, the federal government program known as weatherization is very limited. It only assists a small number of homeowners per year. It is costly to improve a home and to help people conserve energy, so that is why it is limited. There also tends to be a waiting list. If you want to apply, contact the East Tennessee Human resource Agency, as they process applications to weatherization in Knoxville. Maybe they can fix the gas lines or maybe not, but you can try.
SamHouston wrote:I am inquiring with you regarding this program as I was told, a couple of years ago, that they were only doing 1 house per year and that house had already been chosen. Due to being told this, I have never applied for the weatherization program, though I am surely in desperate need of help.
My grandson and I reside here in Knoxville, TN and are living on a fixed income of an estimated $700.00 per month. My home is an older home, and with that comes little to no insulation, among other things. The house has an old floor furnace and gas fireplace though we don't dare attempt to use either of them as they are as old as the home. Chances are, the gas lines running under the house are probably also that old too.
A typical winter for us is to close off all of the house with the exception of the rear family room and bathroom. Both of these rooms are heated by means of an electric space heater. We brave the cold through the kitchen and dining room to make our way to the bathroom. Over the years I have done my best to insulate here and there but the house is in need of much more than just insulation.
Montevallo

Post by Montevallo »

Hello. My name is Sarah. What I am desperately searching for is financial aid for home repairs and improvements around energy conservation. I know this is probably the wrong direction but I'm so lost right now. I am 37 years old and suffer from PTSD and severe anxiety. I am on SSI disability. I have lived in the same home my entire life and am terrified to leave and live anywhere else. My husband, who is 58 and also on SSI disability with a head injury and is a veteran, lives with me in my parents’ home. We have a room in the basement. My parents, who are both 63, are the homeowners and need help paying for energy conservation improvements to the home. They built our house in 1980 and it is not energy efficient. My dad has been in social security disability for 10 years now. He suffered from ARDS, which is a hardening of the lungs, and has a damaged stomach. He has trouble breathing and arthritis. My mom is the on only one who works but she also has asthma and type 2 diabetes. Three of us in the house have gastrointestinal problems.
Our home is in dire need if home repairs. My parent’s income is stretched due to bill's and medical bills. My husband I each get 578 a month for SSI disability. We are barely scraping by. The windows in our house are in most need for energy updates. They are double pane and almost all of them the seals are leaking. There are several broken and one has water in between the panes. Two of our basement windows are also broken. All of the windows develop mold around them, which has to be cleaned very often. Our basement also has a crack on the foundation so it leaks when it rains. It leaks under our back doors too where the floor is rotting. Our bathroom also has problems with the floor and mold and mildew builds up on the ceiling.
One bathroom is quite the problem in our household. Three of us on disability have gastrointestinal problems and that causes bathroom lineups daily. Also, with my husband and I in the basement bedroom it is a long walk to the bathroom upstairs especially at night. In an ideal world for me we would add on an attached garage with a small apartment above for my husband and myself. But that is only a dream since our financial situation doesn't fit that. Our house is just in desperate need of repair and I'm not sure how to make that happen. We are all struggling financially and it is hard enough to meet our needs now.
If you know of any where or any way I can start or find someone to help I would appreciate any information on energy conservation improvements. I’m just desperate to find some help. Thank you for your time
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Weatherization in Ohio gives priority to the disabled. It is a grant (so not direct financial aid into "your pocket"). But the Ohio weatherization service is free and can provide thousands of dollars for conservation. The downside is the delay / waiting list though, but learn more on Ohio weatherization and HEAP.
Montevallo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:23 am Hello. My name is Sarah. What I am desperately searching for is financial aid for home repairs and improvements around energy conservation. I know this is probably the wrong direction but I'm so lost right now. I am 37 years old and suffer from PTSD and severe anxiety. I am on SSI disability.