Overdue credit card bills from college

Help with eliminating and paying debt, including credit card debt and medical debt.
lizatall

Overdue credit card bills from college

Post by lizatall »

My college student son has run up about $10,000 in credit card debt, and the paying it back and the monthly credit card statements and bills are too much for me. Can I claim to the credit card company that I do not have to pay it back, or what else can I do?
bluegourami3
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Re: Overdue credit card bills from college

Post by bluegourami3 »

If the credit card is in your son's name only, then you should not be responsible for his debt. If this was a card that you gave him as authorized user then yes, you are responsible. Credit card companies have up to 3 years to sue you and get a judgement for you to pay. But if you know that you are not going to need to apply for credit for 7 years, say buying a house, or car loan, the thing to do is file for bankruptcy, this will discharge the debt on credit card. Also, don't let the credit companies tell you to consildate your debt into a loan, then this will be a secured loan of which you can't get dismissed in bankruptcy. Also, credit card companies in that three year window, will only sue if you have a job, as unemployment cannot be touched by them. Anything else you need to know, just ask. I just found this site, and I can't believe how far back I've been reading that no responses have been given to some people.
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Overdue credit card bills from college

Post by Admin »

Well, your son needs to pay the debt back. Or did you cosign on the card? If you did not cosign then you are not responsible. What you son can do as well is look into a Chase hardship program as many issues will wive fees, lower rates, and basically negotiate a customers credit card debts and bills. They are willing to work with customers in order to get some money or payments.
lizatall wrote:My college student son has run up about $10,000 in credit card debt, and the paying it back and the monthly credit card statements and bills are too much for me. Can I claim to the credit card company that I do not have to pay it back, or what else can I do?