Credit and debt counseling for military members

Help with eliminating and paying debt, including credit card debt and medical debt.
Jeff_Sessions
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Credit and debt counseling for military members

Post by Jeff_Sessions »

I'm writing in hopes of advise and direction regarding a grant, hopefully. I've been in the Navy (active duty) for almost 10 years. My wife and I have suffered some financial hiccups over the years but were on the road to recovery up until a couple of months ago when my father passed away. To cover our travel costs and her funeral expenses, we went to Navy Relief for assistance and they did in fact assist with the finances. The big difficulty now is that the Navy Relief program policy requires their loans be payed back over a 10 month period, requiring us to pay right at $600 per month. I have confronted all family members requesting help with the debt but this yielded minimal results. Sadly, family isn't as close or dependable as it once was. To add to our situation, I recently attempted to renew our vehicle registration and learned that I owe roughly $400 to the state of Virginia due to my wife's name (non military) being on the registration. If it had been my name alone I could have claimed the military exemption but, it's too late for any change to help this situation as the fees are for the past year. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. So right now, I have one vehicle that is unusable due to it's registration being expired and the second with a registration expiring in a couple of months. Currently, we live in Virginia. However the military may transfer us in the future. This brings about it's own unique costs and stresses. The Navy does pay for the move but not other costs involved such as all the wrap up cleaning and minor repairs to the home we're moving out of. I know it seems that I'm asking for a big hand out... I guess I am. It really goes against my grain to ask for help, especially to this magnitude, but it feels like the last couple of months have created the "perfect storm" and we're right in the middle of it. As I said before, we were on a good path to having our finances straightened out and now we are struggling to keep our heads above water. I do not want to slide back where we were with late payments, collection agencies, etc... Thank you for your time. Any assistance offered will be hugely appreciated.
Greeny

Re: Credit and debt counseling for military members

Post by Greeny »

My husband and I are slipping behind. We are beyond the point of pinching pennies to get by. We have no substantial deposit, we drive old paid for cars. We pay a mortgage of $1220 per month and Day Care is $320 per week. We need help. We just can't save or budget. We honestly have no way to pay our bills. What can we do? Maybe counseling? I don't know what to do or where to turn to. We are both in the military. We both work full time at good jobs. We don't want to move from our home. Please help us.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The federal government does offer free advice and debt counseling for military members. They are also for Navy members too, and the main program is Military One Source. It is offered in all states, including Virginia, from both local offices and there are also phone consults if that is what you want. They can make sure you get back on the right path in improving your finances. Read more on OneSource. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... ogram.html
Aaron Martinez

Post by Aaron Martinez »

Morning, my name is Joseph I serve 12 years in the military. I am a combat veteran and did multiple tours to Iraq and Afghanistan and now my debt is very high and credit is low. I'm also 90 percent VA disabled. Currently I'm homeless living with my friend and going through a hardship. I recently got out of Prison in December 2021 and haven't been able to find a job due to my back ground and availability due to my Parole. I'm trying to move in to my own apartment due to the fact that the mother of my children drop them off and left me in charge of them due to some issues she is going through with my monthly salary and my conviction is been hard to get accepted by any apartment. Can you please contact me if you all know of any apartment that might work with me or credit counseling services for military members too. I have family violence in impeding breath felony. My credit score is low 550 for to being in the military. But I make enough off disability to get something small for my kids sake. Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi Joseph
Thank you for your service. There are a few different programs that help veterans with debt, including non-profits and the government. Both the non-profits and government may be effective, and read more on and find veteran debt relief.

Aaron Martinez wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:26 am Morning, my name is Joseph I serve 12 years in the military. I am a combat veteran and did multiple tours to Iraq and Afghanistan and now my debt is very high and credit is low. I'm also 90 percent VA disabled. Currently I'm homeless living with my friend and going through a hardship. I recently got out of Prison in December 2021 and haven't been able to find a job due to my back ground and availability due to my Parole. I'm trying to move in to my own apartment due to the fact that the mother of my children drop them off and left me in charge of them due to some issues she is going through with my monthly salary and my conviction is been hard to get accepted by any apartment. Can you please contact me if you all know of any apartment that might work with me or credit counseling services for military members too. I have family violence in impeding breath felony. My credit score is low 550 for to being in the military. But I make enough off disability to get something small for my kids sake. Thank you.