Old and disabled grant for repairs

Find grants and post ways to get grants to help others pay debts, bills, loans, and free money.
JoBruce
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Old and disabled grant for repairs

Post by JoBruce »

I am a 61 year old homeowner and my husband is 60 and works at least 40 hours a week. Our roof is in bad shape and we have leaks in the house because of it. We have gone to our mayor for assistance. He has not found anyone that can help us. We need someone to buy the roofing and put it on. My husband is blind in one eye and just had surgery on the other one. He is in no shape to get on the roof himself. We live in South Bend Indiana. We are not old enough to apply for a grant. Can you do anything to help us?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Old and disabled grant for repairs

Post by Admin »

If you roof is leaking, you can try the community action agency in South Bend known as REAL. But home repair programs and grants are very rare. Maybe try weatherization. Also, not sure why you would go to your mayor as no one is under any obligation to assist you or anyone else. But find more information on the agency, and click REAL Services.
Be White

Post by Be White »

Hi. I am old, disabled and live is Summit County Ohio and I've called a few agencies for grants to pay for home repairs, but they say that there isn't funding available. There is no income coming into the household and my gas service has been shut off plus electric is on a shut off notice due today. I'm hopeless. I've always been the provider in the house and now that I'm unemployed I am at the end of my rope. Daughter wrecked my car, so I can't even go to a food bank, welfare, anything! I have suffered with depression for years and lost my job of 17 years so all this has made me almost in a vegetative state. Help me with a grant for the old and disabled? Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Sadly grants are limited, both in Summit County as well as any state or county. But we have a list of different places that may assist. Did you try them all? Locate .
Be White wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:33 pm Hi. I am old, disabled and live is Summit County Ohio and I've called a few agencies for grants to pay for home repairs, but they say that there isn't funding available.
JordyNelson

Post by JordyNelson »

Hello
I want to express my heartfelt gratitude for taking the time to respond and for providing additional resources for grants to fix a home.
In the past, you, the mayor, and others extended your support, and I will forever be thankful for your compassion and efforts.
However, every time I received grant assistance for repairs, whether from the mayor, the town of Bladensburg, or other rent relief resources, I was always bound by a lease and left with an outstanding balance.
During my last experience with housing repair assistance as an older disabled person, the Phoenix management only provided half of the balance, leaving me with back rent to settle despite receiving aid. I also had a few months remaining on the lease.
In October 2023, I made the decision not to renew the lease, as I didn't want to commit to another year. The rent had surged to $2,100 per month on a month-to-month basis, making it impossible for me to move elsewhere because Phoenix informed other affordable apartments that I had an outstanding balance still.
If I can get out of this situation with the Phoenix Apartment to a more affordable apartment my small family will be fine.
Now, my situation has worsened, with two pending tenant-landlord court cases related to eviction.
The Phoenix management and their lawyer are attempting to expedite the eviction process by claiming that I'm trespassing due to the absence of a month-to-month lease, labeling me as a holdover tenant with a disability.
There attempting a legal strategy by categorizing me as a holdover tenant and claiming I'm trespassing due to not having a month-to-month lease.
I communicated with the property manager discussing my intentions to seek rent relief assistance.
I hoped to have resolve the balance before committing to another 12-month lease with the Phoenix Apartments with the home repaired adequately.
My intention was to either downsize or move to a more affordable apartment once the balance was resolved.
I needed documentation to confirm my residency at the Phoenix Apartments for school enrollment purposes. Ms. Mason provided a letter on Phoenix Ledger explaining that I had been a tenant at this address since 2020. I have attached this letter to this email.
I have been a tenant at the Phoenix Apartments since 2015 when I lived in another building in the same complex at 5804.
I informed Phoenix management that I had discussions with various organizations, including DHS, HUD, Social Services, charities, and Wes Moore's office, seeking potential support, resources, and funds for my family.
Most of them advised me to stay in my current residence until after the New Year to ensure possible eligibility for funds, should I be approved.
As a result, I am seeking legal representation and grant money to pay for both court dates and I don't have the money to move anywhere else or anyone to move. I need a grant to help me, a disabled adult, repair a home.
We will face homelessness after judge Grant eviction tomorrow or on February 2nd because I don't have the money to cover a move, another place and having a balance will block me from getting a more affordable apartment.