Home Improvement/Repair Grants

Find grants and post ways to get grants to help others pay debts, bills, loans, and free money.
jarchie422
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Home Improvement/Repair Grants

Post by jarchie422 »

My house was built in 1934 so naturally, there is some wear and tear on the home. I am overwhelmed financially right now keeping up with the expenses and catching up my mortgage. Not only do the kitchen and bathroom floors need to be redone, I discovered a leak in the basement ceiling. I know it will be expensive to have someone investigate and make repairs and/or replacements as necessary. Please provide info on Grant programs particularly but also low interest loan programs for the state of Delaware. I live in the city of Wilmington and would be happy to receive information on any home improvement or grant programs that the city may be offering. Thanks
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Home Improvement/Repair Grants

Post by Admin »

Some organizations may offer low interest loans for this need. Or maybe weatherization is an option for some energy saving improvements. Both will really depend on your income level though. A listing of different places to call in Wilmington Delaware for home repairs or information on grant programs is here.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/new ... nce_p.html
Call places like the The First State Community Action Agency (302) 856-7761. They do offer weatherization, and your local community action agency is always a great resource to ask.
A housing focused agency is Housing Opportunities of Northern Delaware Incorporated. Phone (302) 429-0794. While they mostly focus on foreclosure and buyer assistance programs, I would think they may know of some housing repair programs. Or maybe be able to refer you to someone in Delaware who does have information.
jarchie422 wrote:My house was built in 1934 so naturally, there is some wear and tear on the home. I am overwhelmed financially right now keeping up with the expenses and catching up my mortgage. Not only do the kitchen and bathroom floors need to be redone, I discovered a leak in the basement ceiling. I know it will be expensive to have someone investigate and make repairs and/or replacements as necessary. Please provide info on Grant programs particularly but also low interest loan programs for the state of Delaware. I live in the city of Wilmington and would be happy to receive information on any home improvement or grant programs that the city may be offering. Thanks
jarchie422

Post by jarchie422 »

Thank You for the Helpful tips. They are all great resources; however, I have already explored these avenue with no results. As you mentioned, the amount of income can be a positive or negative asset when asking for help. In my case, it is a negative. What is not considered is the amount that is taken in taxes, and the rising costs of utility bills, gasoline and food.
cgalano27111

Post by cgalano27111 »

My water well went dry. I am broke. Where can I get money for a new well?? I live in Antioch, IL, 60002.
My email is cgalano27111@live.com. I have tried installing a new pump and the tank is six years old. The shallow well is 31 years old, 33 feet deep. Connie
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We are not sure about a request for money for a water well. Never had this before. But you can find agencies in Lake County Illinois to call. Maybe one of these local non-profits or organizations can answer this question for you. Or at least direct you to where to go for free water or help with bills. You can call organizations like Community Action Partnership of Lake County which can be reached at (847) 249-4330 for details on their services and programs.
cgalano27111 wrote:My water well went dry. I am broke. Where can I get money for a new well?? I live in Antioch, IL, 60002.
My email is cgalano27111@live.com. I have tried installing a new pump and the tank is six years old. The shallow well is 31 years old, 33 feet deep. Connie
Lutz99

Post by Lutz99 »

To whom it may concern, I'm writing in hopes you can give me some information or direct me to any resources that can assist my mother with home repairs. A few months ago after the unusually high rainfall in Chicago, my grandfathers house flooded...Apparently there was a problem with the construction of her house and water came through the walls. He needed to pull up all of the padding and most of the carpet from the floor, now her already small house is mostly concrete. His living situation is a unique one as she shares a split house with my brother and her family. My dad and my step-mom definitely get the short end of the stick as they pay over 2/3 the mortgage and bills, and get less than 2/3 the living space and ALL of the foundational/construction problems. He cannot get new flooring because the problem of why the house flooded must be repaired first, however his insurance apparently does not cover the specific damage (I don't know how). And now, he has been living like this for a few months because he can't afford to fix the house!!! On concrete floors, water damaged remaining carpet/walls keeping their clothes & belongings in tubs instead of proper closets/dressers etc. My grandfather is not the sole wage-earner in the residence, but he does make the most there, and somehow that leaves most of the financial burden to fall on her shoulders. When I ask her about it, he seems to have adopted a "whatever" attitude towards the whole thing, admitting that he would like to have it fixed, but "oh well, I can't afford it, so I have to make do". No one wants to see their parents living the way my grandfather is living now, so I am trying desperately to find resources to get some help in fixing at least the construction issues. Once that is taken care of we can work together as a family to get her home back to... well, a home. So again, if you know of any place/group or anything that can assist my grandparents in this matter I would greatly appreciate it. He works very hard and does everything for everyone but herself, he deserves a warm comfortable house to come home to! thank you for your time.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Home repairs can sometimes be made through low interest loans or rarely a grant. Call your local community action agency and ask for these types of options. Another program to ask them about is weatherization. That usually covers more energy saving improvements, but maybe your grandfather in Chicago can look into that federal government program too. We think roof repairs may sometimes be covered, but it may depend on the funding of the program too.
Lutz99 wrote:To whom it may concern, I'm writing in hopes you can give me some information or direct me to any resources that can assist my mother with home repairs. A few months ago after the unusually high rainfall in Chicago, my grandfathers house flooded...Apparently there was a problem with the construction of her house and water came through the walls. He needed to pull up all of the padding and most of the carpet from the floor, now her already small house is mostly concrete. His living situation is a unique one as she shares a split house with my brother and her family. My dad and my step-mom definitely get the short end of the stick as they pay over 2/3 the mortgage and bills, and get less than 2/3 the living space and ALL of the foundational/construction problems. He cannot get new flooring because the problem of why the house flooded must be repaired first, however his insurance apparently does not cover the specific damage (I don't know how). And now, he has been living like this for a few months because he can't afford to fix the house!!! On concrete floors, water damaged remaining carpet/walls keeping their clothes & belongings in tubs instead of proper closets/dressers etc. My grandfather is not the sole wage-earner in the residence, but he does make the most there, and somehow that leaves most of the financial burden to fall on her shoulders. When I ask her about it, he seems to have adopted a "whatever" attitude towards the whole thing, admitting that he would like to have it fixed, but "oh well, I can't afford it, so I have to make do". No one wants to see their parents living the way my grandfather is living now, so I am trying desperately to find resources to get some help in fixing at least the construction issues. Once that is taken care of we can work together as a family to get her home back to... well, a home. So again, if you know of any place/group or anything that can assist my grandparents in this matter I would greatly appreciate it. He works very hard and does everything for everyone but herself, he deserves a warm comfortable house to come home to! thank you for your time.
mentalhealthday

Post by mentalhealthday »

I recently moved to Oklahoma City from New York due to health reasons. I am a single, disabled mother with three children (ages 5, 9 and 12) at home. I used all of my savings on the
move here and had to purchase necessities (appliances, etc.) once I got here, and now have fallen behind on my bills. There are also critical home repairs that need done to our house (a leaking roof, electrical and plumbing). I applied for the Habitat for Humanity Critical Home Repair program, but there is no such program serving the Oklahoma City area. I would appreciate any information regarding any resources, loans or grants that may be available to help me out of my current financial bind.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We are not sure, but here is a listing of agencies and programs to call in Oklahoma City for advice. Maybe they know of some different home repair and ownership type programs for you. If not, maybe you can do something like apply for rent or utility help in Oklahoma, which will then free up money for you to pay for home repairs. So may be different ways to think about getting the money you need.
mentalhealthday wrote:I recently moved to Oklahoma City from New York due to health reasons. I am a single, disabled mother with three children (ages 5, 9 and 12) at home. I used all of my savings on the
move here and had to purchase necessities (appliances, etc.) once I got here, and now have fallen behind on my bills. There are also critical home repairs that need done to our house (a leaking roof, electrical and plumbing). I applied for the Habitat for Humanity Critical Home Repair program, but there is no such program serving the Oklahoma City area. I would appreciate any information regarding any resources, loans or grants that may be available to help me out of my current financial bind.
louise221

Post by louise221 »

please want some body help me to get my home fixed the wiring is bad i fear that they might
caught on fire i been here nineteen years the house is over fifty years old i don't know where to turn to my home need fixed from walls floors windows it's barely i hate to come home
some times knowing what i have to face tomorrow LORD help me on my journey
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Once again, where are you? Most programs, including home repairs, are local by nature. Some options to look into include weatherization or talk to your local community action agency. Many offer low interest rate (or zero percent) loans for home repairs if they are needed for safety issues. You can also use the search box in the top right section of every page. Since we don't know your state, an example of what we offer (for the state of Minnesota) for programs is here. Continue Minnesota assistance programs.
Ceiling

Post by Ceiling »

To whom it may concern

I am seeking grants or any assistance programs that offers help with housing repairs. I have a house in the Phoenix City Alabama area that was completely vandalized. The electrical wiring was ripped from the walls, hot water tank was taken along with the central heating/ cooling system. Repairs will cost thousands of dollars to repair which I do not have.

Any help or any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Helen

Post by Helen »

Hello, I would like to apply for a grant for our home in Bridgeton, Missouri.
We have a broken back patio door which is being held together by duck tape. It is bringing in lots of cold air. Also, our wooden front door has a crack in it and we also feel the air flow from there.
We have an income of 38,000 a year and these home improvements are not able to be done. Our energy bills are running high as well.
We would like to ask for assistance with these projects.
Thank you very much,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

An income of $38,000 should be able to support home repairs. That is not qualified as poverty level, or even close to it. In fact, it is much lower than the median income in the US. But maybe some form of home repair grant can help offset some of those costs. It could reduce your total cost, and maybe an energy programs such as weatherization can be used as well.
Helen wrote: We have an income of 38,000 a year and these home improvements are not able to be done.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I'm looking for a grant or assistance for paying for our roof. We are having a roof put on, but only have a certain amount in escrow from when we purchased our room. We need to pay the company close to $3,000 extra from what we have in escrow. I'm looking for any and all information that will help us. We aren't able to save this amount as our bills are more than what we make in a month. Thank you.