Report an Angel Tree Christmas gift scam

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
lakeshia
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Report an Angel Tree Christmas gift scam

Post by lakeshia »

I am contacting you because I believe a scam is happening and this person is using Angel Tree to collect gifts.
This woman was living in our neighborhood and has since been evicted. She originally posted on Next Door using another charity name, along with Angel Tree, and I questioned her about it. I talked to an investigator at the SC Secretary of State's office and they were going to look into the charity because it is not registered with the state. (We live in North Carolina but she said the charity was in SC.) I've attached the correspondence from Next Door that she and I had on the first post. She deleted it by the next morning but I had copied and pasted it into a Word document.
She has now posted again (only briefly mentioning Reign, the prior charity), but saying that she has accepted 50 families from Angel Tree and is asking for donations for these families. My concern is that I don't believe she is collecting on Angel Tree's behalf. I cannot view this on NextDoor because I believe she has blocked me from seeing any of her posts but it was sent to me from a neighbor.
Her name is Tanae. We are not related.
For your benefit, I am typing what the second post reads exactly as she posted:
"Adopt a Family. Hello Neighbors, last year it was placed on my heart to start a Christmas donation for families in need. We had a great turn out last year! This year I have also joined Angel tree and have accepted 50 families from them. I still have quite a few families to place, if it is on anyone’s heart this year to adopt a family, please reach out to me. Needs vary family to family, their needs and their wish list, you can donate all, some or none of the items on the list for Reign non profit. I can provide tax documents and a receipt for tax write offs upon request. Feel free to call or text me at with any questions or concerns! Donations can be made by any method placed on your heart even if not adopting ie (gift card's, cash, toys, clothing etc) Thanks and Happy Holidays!"
If you are concerned about this and would like to discuss further, please feel free to call or email me.
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Report an Angel Tree Christmas gift scam

Post by Admin »

We do not run Angel Tree or any other program. Call the agencies to report the scam. We have some tips and information here as well, such as stopping scams of the elderly.